Ranking of the most dreaded devices

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jesslzz 01

Ranking of the most dreaded devices

#1 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Hi everyone!

I was reading a lot through your posts yesterday and found a lot of useful information. I found out that my annoying cleats will SURELY be used to attach a palatar device (or nance). I read the case of Lucyloop, and that was quite as mine, this device will surely be used to prevent my molars to fill my extraction gaps. I'm guessing here, since I didn't talk to my ortho, but I'm sure that I'm right :D .

I was kind of shocked to read some stories and I kept wondering...Is anything worse??? I couldn't avoid making a mental ranking of the most dreaded devices in orthodontic treatment...
So I thought it would be useful to know from your experience What do you think are the worst appliances ever?

I think it would be really good to know, it will prevent some of us from receiving and awful and shocking surprise once we left the ortho's office
:shock: What the heck is this thing in my mouth???!!! :shock:
Some orthos don't tell much to their patients because they don't want to scare them I think...But I prefer to know! :wink:

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

calley03

#2 Post by calley03 »

I know I have not had it as rough as some people, but so far my worst part has been the spring on the upper right side of my mouth. It still makes it hard to eat. I agree I am glad I don't have to encounter some of the appliances other people do...
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

Kittysopretty

#3 Post by Kittysopretty »

When I had braces the first time around, I had 2 awful....awful appliances....

One was the palate expander (nightmare, almost choked while eating, couldn't speak for weeks, pain)

The second was this HUGE thing that brought my jaw forward. I could not open my mouth, speak without major garble and I *looked* like such a freak. I would wear it out the door and then hide it in my front yard bushes (I was 13). :roll:

elissasmilz

#4 Post by elissasmilz »

I am 27 yo female. I got my braces on back in July. I haven't had to deal with some of the appliances that all of you are speaking of but I have been wearing a cervical headgear for the last 3 months or so. While it is very bulky and pretty uncomfortable to wear, at least it is removable and not required to wear 24/7. It has definitelyt been the most challenging part of my treatment so far.

elissasmilz

#5 Post by elissasmilz »

I am 27 yo female. I got my braces on back in July. I haven't had to deal with some of the appliances that all of you are speaking of but I have been wearing a cervical headgear for the last 3 months or so. While it is very bulky and pretty uncomfortable to wear, at least it is removable and not required to wear 24/7. It has definitelyt been the most challenging part of my treatment so far.

fins

#6 Post by fins »

Kittysopretty wrote: The second was this HUGE thing that brought my jaw forward. I could not open my mouth, speak without major garble and I *looked* like such a freak. I would wear it out the door and then hide it in my front yard bushes (I was 13). :roll:
ROFL! Hid it in the bushes, did you? I feel very guilty now about not wearing my headgear enough. I used to fudge the hours worn on this little card we filled out and gave to the ortho.
fins

hannah164

#7 Post by hannah164 »

When I was 9 I had to wear a palatal expander and boy was it annoying! :x It was so hard to talk with it and it made my mouth feel so full and I would hecka salivate! :oops:

It did its job though and it wasn't terribly painful! :)

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

spragers

#8 Post by spragers »

Worst "appliance" if you can call it that, has to be the upper lingual holding wire. It was constantly moving out of place, made clear speech impossible, and left a huge sore gouge in my tongue every morning. The day that wire came out was my second happiest day in braces (first was when they ground off the build-ups on my molars 8) )

Jesslzz 01

#9 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Wow! Really scary things!
So far the palatar expander seems to be the worst for me because I'm afraid I might have to use it...I don't know, maybe I just need a TPA/nance only...but you never know. :roll:

The things the orthos slip into our mouths!
I'm surprised sometimes how strong some members of this forum are for enduring all those little torture devices...I really admire you people!

Happy new 2006 for all of you! :-88

Full metalmouth!

HeyBartender

#10 Post by HeyBartender »

Worst ever is indeed the palatal expander. I'm 3 months into my 6 month relationship with this thing, and I still hate it every day.

Just when I thought i'd gotten used to everything that could possibly get stuck in this (nothing worse than a piece of spinach or something dangling in your mouth and you just can't get it), the worst thing EVER happened.

Last week, I got the stomach flu.

Now, it's an unpleasant experience enough to throw up 24 hours' worth of food. But to throw up and have THINGS GETTING STUCK ON THE WAY OUT... oh my god I wanted to die.

Jesslzz 01

#11 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

OMG that sounds awful...I'll remember not to eat spinach if I have to wear a palatar expander!!! Wow!!! :shock:

Full metalmouth!

Will

#12 Post by Will »

Top and bottom expander... worst ever :roll:

Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

cassidy91

#13 Post by cassidy91 »

Worst has to be headgear, hands down. As bad as some of these appliances look and feel, at least they are contained inside the mouth. To me the worst part of braces so far has been having to wear headgear. Fortunately I don't have to wear it to school or anything like that, but I still have to wear it almost all the time that I'm at home and while sleeping. When I first got it I couldn't sleep at all, it was horrible.

-cass

bethne3

#14 Post by bethne3 »

I would have to agree that expanders are the worst. I have a rapid palate expander on top and an Arnold expander on the bottom and they both are very hard to deal with.
4 Wisdoms Removed 11/14/05
Upper Teeth Braced/Expander 11/22/05
Lower Teeth Braced/Expander 11/28/05

eurydice

#15 Post by eurydice »

I have to say I am sooo glad I didn't have headgear - have you SEEN the hilarious headgear Willy Wonka wears in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"?
Braced 3 May 2005