ouch! first time power chains...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chr1ssy711

ouch! first time power chains...

#1 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

i got power chains put on my uppers today at noon. it is now 2:30pm and oh my goodness!! this is soo painful!

She only put them from the back tooth on one side to the tooth in front of the k9 on the otherside. she said she is using them to pull my teeth to the right side (my midline if off centered to the left) She said this will close the gaps that have been created by the braces( never had gaps before) but that is will create and even larger gap between my left k9 and the tooth in front. but that in 6 weeks i will begin elastics to correct it all ...yippie.

Im glad my progress is going so quickly... but ouch...i think im going to leave work early and take a nap.
:cry:

Dont get me wrong its worth it...but at this point it just sucks!

(ill try to get pictures up a some point. i cant seem to take clear ones)
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

HeadgearJoe

Re: ouch! first time power chains...

#2 Post by HeadgearJoe »

Chr1ssy711 wrote:i got power chains put on my uppers today at noon. it is now 2:30pm and oh my goodness!! this is soo painful!

She only put them from the back tooth on one side to the tooth in front of the k9 on the otherside. she said she is using them to pull my teeth to the right side (my midline if off centered to the left) She said this will close the gaps that have been created by the braces( never had gaps before) but that is will create and even larger gap between my left k9 and the tooth in front. but that in 6 weeks i will begin elastics to correct it all ...yippie.

Im glad my progress is going so quickly... but ouch...i think im going to leave work early and take a nap.
:cry:
hi chrissy , hang in there , there a pain in the butt at first , however they do a darn fine job of pulling things togather , i've been wearing them forever,an have a hand pulled an tied metal one on top , good luck HEADGEARJOE
Dont get me wrong its worth it...but at this point it just sucks!

(ill try to get pictures up a some point. i cant seem to take clear ones)
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

hannah164

#3 Post by hannah164 »

I've had powerchains on and off from the time I got braces 20 months ago and they defintely do work but are very painful! :shock:

Good luck and hope you feel better soon! :pinkbraces:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

mtbrncofn

#4 Post by mtbrncofn »

I feel ya, Chrissy. I've got double pc's on right now and they are more than twice as bad as just having one, but they do their job, right?! I guess that's all we have to be thankful for at this point. When we get our braces taken off and think back to the torture that were powechains, we'll say...darn, I think that was worth it. ;)
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Shelby014

#5 Post by Shelby014 »

i havent had powerchains yet, but i have a nastly feeling that i'll be getting on on january 11, because i have two gaps on the bottom about the 2mm wide each!!!(just a guesstimant) I've never had gaps before on the bottom anyways. So i am pretty sure i'm going to get a powerchain at least on teh bottom, they might give me one on top too, because i'm getting some gaps up there as well. Well, i say bring on the pain, and bring me some advil!!!! LoLz
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Chocoholic

#6 Post by Chocoholic »

Totally sympathise with you, I've had a power chain on my uppers for about 6 weeks now, when it first went on I wondered what the heck it was, the pain was even worse than first getting braced! But it only lasts a few days and then you won't notice it anymore, but boy do they work! :lol:

littleshaddies

#7 Post by littleshaddies »

Oh well, that explains a lot about my pain when I got braced first time. I had 4 powerchains since day one, still there and they will stay there for some time to close the extraction gaps. Last adjusment was two weeks ago and the ortho made them shorter to give them more power. I don't know why but maybe is because I am getting used to them that they don't hurt as bad or as many days as at the beginning. I still need painkillers for two days after they get changed but then it all goes back to normal.....ish....
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Chr1ssy711

#8 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

its been 24 since the power chain went on... not so bad anymore, just wore like a normal adjustment.
but yesterday i left work early, took a tylenol pm and sleep for 5 hours...it felt like my gums were ripping between my teeth... i just have a pretty low pain thrushold...but when i woke up it was ok.

mashed potatoes and mac n cheese for a few days and ill be fine.

im just worried about staining nwo since they are clear and even more noticable than the ligs and i cant change them if they get dingy.

no starbucks, or orange soda, or anything else colored for 6 weeks i guess. ohwell.
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

Shelby014

#9 Post by Shelby014 »

i think that i'm going to get powerchains on Jan. 11, cuz i had developed attrocious gaps that were never there before. I want something new though, like elastics or powerchains, you know something a little out of the ordinary, but nothing too horrible. I hope you're not still in pain!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

debonairdenise

power chain pain

#10 Post by debonairdenise »

I just had power chains added on Tuesday and I am in a lot of pain. I have several gaps that need to be closed, so the pain is worth it. I have a high tolerance for pain. so I was shocked when I started to cry from the pain. I just use pain medication to help with the discomfort.

Denise

Ceramics on top
Metal on bottom
Braced 08-04-05
19 months left before braces removed

eurydice

#11 Post by eurydice »

I too know the pain of the chain!! I've got double chains on the bottom and one on the top, all the way round. I had an adjustment yesterday so I'm in the pain zone right now, but I'm so used to it I don't even take painkillers now, I eat soft food for a couple of days and brush with a normal toothbrush instead of my Oral B (tooo painful) and after a few days the pain wears off - and don't forget, no pain no gain, the pain means those babies are movin!

Good luck!
Braced 3 May 2005

mtbrncofn

#12 Post by mtbrncofn »

eurydice wrote:I too know the pain of the chain!! I've got double chains on the bottom and one on the top, all the way round. I had an adjustment yesterday so I'm in the pain zone right now, but I'm so used to it I don't even take painkillers now, I eat soft food for a couple of days and brush with a normal toothbrush instead of my Oral B (tooo painful) and after a few days the pain wears off - and don't forget, no pain no gain, the pain means those babies are movin!

Good luck!
Wahoo! Another double powerchainer! ;) Mighty uncomfortable, aren't they, eurydice?
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

eurydice

#13 Post by eurydice »

Wahoo! Another double powerchainer! Mighty uncomfortable, aren't they, eurydice?

Uncomfortable isn't the word really!!! :(
Braced 3 May 2005