One of my teeth is scaring me *pics added*

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dulcinea

One of my teeth is scaring me *pics added*

#1 Post by Dulcinea »

It has been 1 week since my last adjustment. The last tooth I have bracketed on my right side is moving up (up and out of it's socket). It is sticking up farther than any of my other teeth and when I bite I can feel it sink back down into it's socket. I am worried that this could really be a bad thing. It is like the tooth is slowly being pulled out. Should I call my ortho or wait 3 weeks until my next appointment. I don't want to make an @$$ of myself but it really worries me. It clanks on my upper teeth when I talk.

I will try to get a pic when I get home tonight.
Last edited by Dulcinea on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

It sounds a little strange to me. I don't think your orthodontist would mind a call in this case. Are you in the "Elastic's" phase where they are trying to fix your bite? (I will be there on my next visit)
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Dulcinea

#3 Post by Dulcinea »

Nope, no elastics. I did get a coil installed between two of my front teeth to make space for the tooth that is supposed to be between them to move forward. I am wondering if all of the torque from that has caused the strange disruption. I tried calling my ortho and they won't be in until next weds. I called my reg dentist and they said that it sounded strange, was worthy of checking out but they could not do anything about it.

Bottom line - I continue freaking out about my tooth until wednesday. At least it does not hurt, it just pops when I bite down. :roll:

amychelle

#4 Post by amychelle »

Teeth Move Through Bone Remodeling

Bone remodeling works like this: increase the load on a bone and osteoclasts are created which break it down in response to the load. Remove the load and osteoblasts are created which create new bony cells. Repeat the process through repetitive motion and eventually the bone density increases.

Not a whole lot of force is necessary, only "some" force which is not normally present.

Enter the brackets and arch wire - the artificial force needed to create and sustain the pressure.

The strategic placement of brackets on teeth and tying of those brackets to this wire complete the transmission of forces from the arch wire to the teeth and sustained result in the awesome process of bone remodeling as your teeth are moved to new positions in your mouth.

The osteoclast (breakdown) process takes about 72 hours to get fully going, the osteoblast (rebuild) process about 90 days. Stabilizing the result takes about 10 months (which is why it is important to wear your retainer to avoid a relapse of the original or some intermediate positions).

From: Archwired's How Braces Work (abbreviated - click link for full story.)

I don't want to tell you something you might already know, but this may also comfort you some until Wednesday. Your teeth are suppose to get loose. That means your braces are working.

I also don't want to lure you into a false sense of secruity either. If Wednesday you are still worried, by all means call your Ortho. That's part of his job, to answer questions and concerns. I called my dentist/ortho/oral surgen at home after my oral surgery because I had horrid swelling still after 3 days. He was very understanding.

Best of luck and sympathy sent your way!

Dulcinea

#5 Post by Dulcinea »

I know about the loose part and have been dealing with that day one. I vaguely remembered it from my first go 'round with braces. I can handle loose teeth...what is making me panic is having a tooth pulled up and out. Right now, the tooth is sticking up 1/8 of an inch farther than the teeth behind it.

I got out my scale and measured it...

I will just have to post a pic and see if you guys think it is strange.

dena

#6 Post by dena »

Dulcinea--I don't know if this is an option or not, but you could try to contact another orthodontist in your area. Perhaps another ortho would be back in the office sooner than yours. Do you have a friend or family member with another ortho that you could consult?

Also, did you post on the 'ask a doc' section?

Take care of yourself! I'm sure you are being very careful, but try not to be too worried. Let us know if we can help.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

littleshaddies

#7 Post by littleshaddies »

Don't worry about your tooth coming out. The braces can't do that. What you normaly see from the gum up you have about twice as much of tooth inside the gum. Trust me, I keep my extracted teeth. If it causes you pain take painkillers, keep your tounge away from it and chew on the other side. Give yourself a peace of mind, go and check it out on Wednsday.Take care and good luck!
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Brooke

#8 Post by Brooke »

I understand why your freaking out... I freak out over everything! What I would do is call the ortho as soon as possible to ease your mind. Hang in there, and let us know what the ortho says. I'd be interested to see what he says. Good Luck.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

Dulcinea

#9 Post by Dulcinea »

Well, I called and set up an appointment with my ortho for tomorrow. They felt that they needed to see me after I described what was happening. They said that it sounded like I have too much torque. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

I tried to take pics, but they all came out crappy.

Brooke

#10 Post by Brooke »

Let us know how it goes! Good Luck.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

Dulcinea

#11 Post by Dulcinea »

I went to the ortho and they told me that the tooth was working on crossing my bite and would be annoying until it did. Their solution to the problem was to put a stouter wire in and remove the coil that was making space for one of my front teeth to move in. They told me that this would hurt a bit more but would speed things up and get that tooth into position faster.

I am still freaking out. My teeth move really fast (I guess because I have shallow roots). Check out these pics and tell me if you would be freaking out. My next adjustment is in 2 weeks.

This was the the morning before I went in for my "emergency visit"

This is 2 days after the visit. It looks to me like my tooth is coming out. I am going to try not to worry and trust them.

This is the front the morning before I went in for the "EV"

This is what it looked like that night! :shock:

They were right about it hurting!

dena

#12 Post by dena »

Dulcinea--I would trust your ortho. I have read about lots of things on this board that sound insane to me but are actually typical practice. If they saw it and said it was okay, I'm sure it is. But, you know your own mouth. If something seems to change again (in a bad way) email or call your ortho. It's probably better to be safe than sorry. But, in general, if they said it's okay, it sounds like it is. Thanks for keeping us posted!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Lyn

#13 Post by Lyn »

Dulcinea - OMG - my lowers look JUST LIKE YOURS!!! I had the same molar laying inward and is now straight!!! It hurt alot when it was moving and even felt wiggley.

I can't believe how your lower moved into place [in the front]. Mine is in the last stages with the spring and should move into place next month. They are "slenderizing" to make room for it too! I can't wait to see it in place and straight.....................soon!

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7