asymmetrical extraction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracefaced

asymmetrical extraction

#1 Post by Bracefaced »

Hi all!! Great site!!
I have a question that I cannot find any information on (whether on the net or through the search tool). I figured if I asked here, I could possibly get an answer…

My ortho has suggested that I have my first bicuspid extracted on the upper jaw so that my right fang/canine/eye tooth (oh my) can move in its place since it’s sitting pretty high up on my gums…
However, this seems odd that I have only one removed as I’m reading usually the pair is done or even both pairs (top and bottom) for an even smile. My biggest concern is a deviation in my midline and although I know that a perfect 100% smile is sometimes not possible, I do not want to have a “bricks-on-the-wallâ€

dena

#2 Post by dena »

Bracefaced--I can only say that when I visited orthos at first (I saw 3 initially) one suggested removing one of my bottom front teeth (so I'd only have 3 little ones in the front, not four...sorry for the ignorant language--I don't know my teeth yet!) I totally didn't like that idea because it seemed super weird, though he assured me that no one would really notice.

Well, I didn't go with that ortho, and the one I picked will ONLY brace with matching extractions. Yesterday I had 4 bicuspids removed--so it will all be even.

I would definitely check this out if it's uncomfortable for you. Maybe it's really standard but I understand why it seems weird. good luck!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months