Spacers...ya'll weren't kidding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tin Man

Spacers...ya'll weren't kidding

#1 Post by Tin Man »

Next week I'm going in for some reduction between my teeth. In preparation for this, they put 7 spacers in my front bottoms. This is my first time with spacers and I gotta say they are pretty terrible. At first it was just an annoyance like I had something stuck in my teeth, but now they hurt like all hell. Looks like this is going to be a fun week :roll:
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Marzipan

#2 Post by Marzipan »

Ibuprofen! Don't wait - do it now. Do it until your stomach can't take it anymore.

Tin Man

#3 Post by Tin Man »

I'm way ahead of you. Quick question though. How long did it take for the spacers to stop hurting for any of you? Seven of these things is pretty extreme and I can't see myself funtioning well feeling like this.
Mike
Off November 06!

mackenzie

#4 Post by mackenzie »

Mine hurt for about 5 days. I went to a waterpark the 2nd day and stayed busy, I think keeping my mind off it helped a ton!

Tin Man

#5 Post by Tin Man »

Guess I'll be spending alot of time at the gym...
Mike
Off November 06!

Destor

#6 Post by Destor »

Ouch! On the bottom front teeth, that has to be bad, probobly worse than just having them on the back! Mine hurt for about 5 days aswell, then the pain more or less went away.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

Marzipan

#7 Post by Marzipan »

I'd say they hurt for 3-4 days. I dedicated myself to Advil. LOL

Towards the end of my one week, mostly I wanted to rip them out because they were so annoying. Advil definitely kept the pain in check. You have quite a few of the spacers, though, so I feel for you.

BlueeyedManda

#8 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I am going to have to go with 4-5 days. I got them on Tuesday morning and my teeth ached Weds-Friday and then on Saturday just my one tooth almost a front one on the bottom was real tender. Today I didn't even remember I had them. Last week I was wondering how I would make it until the 9th when they come out.

NotBob1

#9 Post by NotBob1 »

Wonderful. I get my bonded brackets and spacers next Tuesday!!! :yikes:
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

bajanrose

#10 Post by bajanrose »

wow 7, mine was more annoying than anything, I was miserable for about 3 days.
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

Tin Man

#11 Post by Tin Man »

It is even more painful and annoying than it looks.
Mike
Off November 06!

Metal Mouth Guy

#12 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

Tin Man wrote:It is even more painful and annoying than it looks.
Oh I don't know... I think between my experience and imagination I've got a pretty good grasp of what you're going through. Spacers were way, way annoying. I had them in for 4+ weeks over a 6 week period. And I had them between teeth that they ended up putting brackets on because the spaces refused to open. When they wanted to change a bracket to a band after I popped it off, I loudly told them to FU... errr, pound sand.

I WILL NOT be going through spacers again. Period.
Advil, Guiness, whatever.... And Tylenol PM was the only way I could get a decent nights sleep.

MMG

jrbecca

Sympathy!

#13 Post by jrbecca »

I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain, Tin Man. I'm hoping that since you've posted you've been able to find some relief. You are a brave soul for allowing them to put seven spacers in, particularly between those very sensitive bottom front teeth. Not having received spacers myself (I will on Thursday), I can't offer you any additional advice - only my deepest sympathies.

Knowing how painful spacers can be, I'm starting to regret scheduling a job interview for 4 p.m. Thursday--about five hours after I receive my spacers.

Best of luck and many Advil to you! I suppose it's no consolation for me to say that when it comes to a great smile...no pain, no gain!? :crazy:

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

hannah164

#14 Post by hannah164 »

That looks incredibly painful TInman! :shock: I sure hope you feel better soon! :pinkbraces:

When I had spacers for the top my teeth hurt for about 5 days! :( I can't even imagine having 7 instead of two! :shock:

Just curious but what is reduction and why does it require spacers!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment 1/11/06

NotBob1

#15 Post by NotBob1 »

OMG TinMan!!! I have NOTHING to complain about! I will take my top and bottom molar spacers with a smile. (We'll see about that on about the 12th of Jan. when I am out here whining!!!!!) :shock:
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.