Spacers in 1/3/06

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

Spacers in 1/3/06

#1 Post by ssfw »

I went to get an impression made for my upper arch expander today (1/3/06). After the impression was made I asked the assistant about the expander - she said it indicated I was going to get a Rapid Palatal Expander (with a key). I told the assistant this is the expander the orthodontist showed me at my consultation appt. but a few weeks later when we spoke again he said he had decided to use another type of expander - I forgot to ask what type of expander. I spoke to the orthodontist and he said either the RPE or Quad Helix could be used and the results would be the same due to the ortho treatment (crossbite and overjet) I needed. I chose the Quad Helix only because I wasn't sure if I would have a problem with the key - the ortho said usually it's easier if somebody else turns the key for the patient but can be done by the patient but takes getting use to - I didn't want to take the chance and have any problems and get frustrated - my goal is to have as few frustrations as possible during the ortho treatment. The Quad Helix also looked more comfortable than the RPE - not sure if I made the right choice but as long as the outcome is the same it will be fine - any opinions on this? I'm sure I would have gotten use to the RPE and turning it with the key. Not sure if the Quad Helix requires more appointments for adjustments to be done by the ortho.

So today I got 4 spacers placed on my upper arch, 2 on the left and 2 on the right - so far, I'm not having any discomfort. I wasn't expecting to get the spacers today - I felt like I didn't get to eat the things that I shouldn't eat one last time - but I will only have them on for a week then spacer-free for about 2 weeks. I will get the spacers removed on 1/10/06, measured for bands and an impression of the upper arch done for the expander. On 1/27/06, I have to get the spacers placed again and on 1/31/06, I will get the expander placed - I chose this date only because I have a special event to attend the previous week and didn't want to take the chance of major discomfort with the expander, otherwise I would probably have gotten the expander placed about 2 weeks earlier.

My orthodontist said he thinks that he will be able to correct my cossbite and reduce my overjet from 5mm to 1.5 mm with upper and lower braces. He said if I just get the upper braces, he can correct the crossbite and reduce the overjet to 2-3 mm but it wouldn't be reduced to the best it could be. He said I will have time to decide on the lower braces because they will know if I will need the lower braces to correct my bite after I have my upper braces (to be placed after wearing the expander for about 3 months) on for about 6 months. If I don't need the lower braces to correct my bite then I will need to decide if I want to get them to reduce my overjet to the best it could be. If I just get upper braces, treatment time will be 12-16 months; upper and lower braces and elastics, treatment time will be 16-20 months. The way I see it, I'm going through all of this and I want the outcome of my teeth to look the best that can be and a few more months and additional cost for the lower braces will be worth it.

I'm happy that I decided to proceed with the ortho treatment because as I mentioned in one of my other posts, I knew if I didn't proceed with it now, I probably would not do it at a future time. I just hope I did make the right decision in proceeding with the ortho treatment.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to let other new ortho patients know that it's good to ask your ortho/assistant questions and sometimes there are choices you can make regarding your ortho treatment/appliances to be used.

ssfw
Last edited by ssfw on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

jrbecca

#2 Post by jrbecca »

Thank you for sharing your experiences, ssfw! I'm taking hope in the fact that you haven't had any discomfort from your spacers. Perhaps you'll be one of the lucky few to escape relatively unscathed from the spacer experience.

It's great that you asked your orthodontist questions. It sounds like you ensured that you and the orthodontic staff are all on the same page where regarding your treatment. Way to go! :thumbsup:

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

Anticipator

#3 Post by Anticipator »

Congrats on making this next step in your journey ssfw

I got my braces on yesterday, and will be sure to try and keep tabs on your progress. You've been very helpful in my other thread regarding FSA's.

Thanks again and good luck with the impending expander!
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Anticipator,

I hope your appointment to place the braces on your teeth went well yesterday and I hope you are not in too much discomfort. Did everything go well regarding the questions you had about billing and your FSA - I know this was a major concern for you.

I'm glad I was able to answer some of your questions regarding FSA. I know insurance and FSA's can get so complicated and I wanted to be sure you were not misunderstanding any of it and to attempt to utilize your dental insurance/FSA to the max. - and of course, some of this depends on the policy of the ortho's office. For example, at my ortho's office, a patient can pay the balance in full and get a 5% discount or pay the total less $2000 upfront and pay equal monthly payments for the estimated treatment period. Because I chose to pay the total in full to get the discount, I wasn't able to submit the entire amount through FSA because it exceeded the FSA max. - but I'm glad I got some savings through FSA. Per FSA, the date the amount is paid is the year it can be submitted - so, unfortuantely I won't be able to submit part of it in 2007 even though ortho treatment is ongoing. I thought about not paying it in full but it would still mean most of the monthly payments would be made in 2006 - if I had started later in the year, like in December 2006, I could have placed all of it on FSA 2006 and 2007 but I wanted to begin ortho treatment as soon as possible so that I can be done sooner. I think other ortho offices have different payment policies, some similar and some more flexible.

As you know, my spacers were placed yesterday and I haven't had any discomfort of having the spacers in - I'm just being more careful while eating - that's when I feel a bit of pressure, no pain though. I have read about people's horrible experiences with spacers and am wondering if it will come before the spacers are removed.

Anticipator, thanks for your kind words and keep me posted on your progress. It's nice to see progress of ortho treatment of somebody that started on the same day. How long do you expect your ortho treatment to be? My ortho treatment will be 16-20 months.

Take Care!

ssfw
Anticipator wrote:Congrats on making this next step in your journey ssfw

I got my braces on yesterday, and will be sure to try and keep tabs on your progress. You've been very helpful in my other thread regarding FSA's.

Thanks again and good luck with the impending expander!

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi jrbecca and KK,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I'm very thankful that my orthodontists (there are 2 in this practice) are very kind, patient and willing to answer all of my questions and explain things to me - while this may not matter to some people, it's very important to me because the more I know and know what to anticipate, I feel I will not have to wonder what is being done and why. This type of doctor/patient relationship, I feel, helps the patient feel a bit more relaxed about the entire ortho treatment which I think helps alot in the outcome of the treatment. I think orthodontics is a very interesting field and I think I can learn alot about the process by asking questions. I think this is why I liked this ortho practice in addition to my friends 2 kids went to this ortho and their teeth look great.

In regards to my spacers, I have had no discomfort and as I mentioned in my post to Anticipator, from reading about people's horrible experiences with spacers I'm wondering if the pain/discomfort will come before they are removed on 1/10/06. The only thing I have felt is slight pressure, not pain, when chewing.

My best to the both of you.

ssfw

JeepGirl

#6 Post by JeepGirl »

ssfw,

Good luck on your treatment! I got my spacers in on Jan. 3 as well. I need them so that my ortho can band my two molar crowns I have on the left side of my mouth. I have 4 spacers in at the moment and thankfully they are both on the left side. That leaves my right side ok for chewing. Ah the little things that matter... :wink:

By the way, my spacers come out on Monday and I can't wait. Not too much discomfort at the moment, but the first day was difficult.

Good luck again on your ortho treatment and remember that you have a big support group here! :thumbsup:

-JeepGirl

dena

#7 Post by dena »

Hi ssfw--glad things are on there way! I had my braces put on today and when they removed the spacers, the ortho asked if they hurt badly--he said most people say they don't but some claim of excrutiating pain...he said he wondered if they just wanted to score some good pain pills 8) My spacers were irritating...and that's basically all I'd say. I didn't have a throbbing pain or anything. Actually, so far, the braces have the same irritating effect, though to a much lesser degree, so it should be much easier to have braces, though I am not sure what your experience will be like with your expander.

Good luck!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

Hi JeepGirl,

Thanks for your reply.

It's nice to know another person that got spacers in on 1/3/06 - will be nice to compare our progress.

I do hope your first appt. of getting the spacers in went well. I wanted to ask why bands will only be placed on only your left side? Yes, you are lucky that you are able to chew normally on your right side. I haven't had any pain or discomfort from the spacers until today. The problem I had beginning today was chewing because it is beginning to ache (while chewing) a bit if I chew on hard/chewy items such as meat or crackers. It aches, but not enough to take any Advil (it's not ongoing pain). So, I'm just cutting/breaking things into smaller pieces and trying to eat softer items.

Have you had this happen to you on the side you have the spacers?

Are you getting an expander or only braces? Next Tuesday, the spacers will be removed and am wondering if I will have the same problem with chewing until I get the spacers put back in on 1/27/06.

How long will your treatment be and what type of correction do you need done?

Good luck with your ortho treatment and yes this website has been so helpful to me - I think it's great that we can give and get advice from others that are in a similar situation. The information on this website is one of the main reasons why I decided to proceed with braces.

ssfw

JeepGirl wrote:ssfw,

Good luck on your treatment! I got my spacers in on Jan. 3 as well. I need them so that my ortho can band my two molar crowns I have on the left side of my mouth. I have 4 spacers in at the moment and thankfully they are both on the left side. That leaves my right side ok for chewing. Ah the little things that matter... :wink:

By the way, my spacers come out on Monday and I can't wait. Not too much discomfort at the moment, but the first day was difficult.

Good luck again on your ortho treatment and remember that you have a big support group here! :thumbsup:

-JeepGirl

ssfw

#9 Post by ssfw »

Hi JeepGirl,

Thanks for your reply.

It's nice to know another person that got spacers in on 1/3/06 - will be nice to compare our progress.

I do hope your first appt. of getting the spacers in went well. I wanted to ask why bands will only be placed on only your left side? Yes, you are lucky that you are able to chew normally on your right side. I haven't had any pain or discomfort from the spacers until today. The problem I had beginning today was chewing because it is beginning to ache (while chewing) a bit if I chew on hard/chewy items such as meat or crackers. It aches, but not enough to take any Advil (it's not ongoing pain). So, I'm just cutting/breaking things into smaller pieces and trying to eat softer items.

Have you had this happen to you on the side you have the spacers?

Are you getting an expander or only braces? Next Tuesday, the spacers will be removed and am wondering if I will have the same problem with chewing until I get the spacers put back in on 1/27/06.

How long will your treatment be and what type of correction do you need done?

Good luck with your ortho treatment and yes this website has been so helpful to me - I think it's great that we can give and get advice from others that are in a similar situation. The information on this website is one of the main reasons why I decided to proceed with braces.

Keep in touch with your progress.

ssfw

JeepGirl wrote:ssfw,

-JeepGirl

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

Hi dena,

Congratulations on getting your braces placed. It seems that everything went smoothly at your appointment.

How long will you have to wear braces and did you get ceramic/metal?

Can you tell me how they removed your spacers and what it was like to get the bands placed?

Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck and I hope you continue not to be in any discomfort.

ssfw
dena wrote:Hi ssfw--glad things are on there way! I had my braces put on today and when they removed the spacers, the ortho asked if they hurt badly--he said most people say they don't but some claim of excrutiating pain...he said he wondered if they just wanted to score some good pain pills 8) My spacers were irritating...and that's basically all I'd say. I didn't have a throbbing pain or anything. Actually, so far, the braces have the same irritating effect, though to a much lesser degree, so it should be much easier to have braces, though I am not sure what your experience will be like with your expander.

Good luck!

samantha_lou

#11 Post by samantha_lou »

Good luck for your treatment ssfw, I'll be interested to know how you get on with your expander...I have my consult to get mine fairly soon - from speaking with my ortho, I think the expander will be bonded to my back teeth and will turned with a key. I'll be finding out more when my husband and I go for my consultation.

ssfw

#12 Post by ssfw »

Hi samantha_lou,

Yes, the expander will be bonded on the back teeth. I will be getting a Quad Helix expander which doesn't require a key - the orthodontist will be making all of the adjustments on the expander (probably fewer appointments with your type of expander - but I live about 10 minutes from my orthodontist so it shouldn't be a major inconvenience for me). I do hope you plan to get a few orthodontic evaluations before you make your decision - or maybe you already did? because you seem to already know you will be getting the expander with a key.

What's the estimated treatment time for your ortho treatment?

Good luck and I will be sure to post regarding my experiences with my ortho treatment.

ssfw
samantha_lou wrote:Good luck for your treatment ssfw, I'll be interested to know how you get on with your expander...I have my consult to get mine fairly soon - from speaking with my ortho, I think the expander will be bonded to my back teeth and will turned with a key. I'll be finding out more when my husband and I go for my consultation.

2longyears

#13 Post by 2longyears »

I got my spacers on Jan 3rd...On the right side, they went in very easily, now the left side, he couldn't get them in, so he had to use some metals to act as spacers. I gotta say, it hurt so much getting the metals in, but for some reason I feel no pain at all on that side the day after. However, my right side hurts a lot when I chew and that side of my face was swallen, however, the pain is not that bad. I had to chew with my front teeth today which was kind of weird. I wonder if my spacers on the right side aren't working and that's why it doesn't hurt at all. I guess I'll find out on Monday.

I am going in on Monday to get bonded. My ortho wants me to be bonded for 3-4 weeks before putting on the braces. I though he was going to bond and put braces in the same day, but he wants me to wait 3-4 weeks.

I was deciding betwen damon 3's or ceramic, at the end, because I am in business I ended up picking ceramics on top and metal on bottom.

ErinABerens

WOW

#14 Post by ErinABerens »

You guys are So lucky to not have too much pain from the spacers. I got mine yesterday and I am in agony. I took some Bayer but it didn't help. I looked so silly chewing my my front teeth today!
My sister wears braces also and she said that the spacers were the worst part. Only a week to go!

ssfw

Re: WOW

#15 Post by ssfw »

Hi ErinABerens,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough time with the spacers. Try taking some Advil - this always helps me.

Today seemed to be a bit easier with the chewing - it still ached a bit when I chewed but not enough to take any Advil. I haven't had any ongoing pain, just when I chew. I am just hoping that I was fortunate not to have many problems with these spacers and hope the rest of my ortho treatment goes as smoothly.

I know you can't wait until you get your spacers removed. What is the next step after the spacers are removed and how long is your ortho treatment?

I hope you feel better soon.

Keep us posted on your progress - I think it will be nice to see how everyone that began their ortho treatment around the same time is doing.

Good luck.

ssfw

ErinABerens wrote:You guys are So lucky to not have too much pain from the spacers. I got mine yesterday and I am in agony. I took some Bayer but it didn't help. I looked so silly chewing my my front teeth today!
My sister wears braces also and she said that the spacers were the worst part. Only a week to go!