Spacers...ya'll weren't kidding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jrbecca

Sympathy!

#16 Post by jrbecca »

I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain, Tin Man. I'm hoping that since you've posted you've been able to find some relief. You are a brave soul for allowing them to put seven spacers in, particularly between those very sensitive bottom front teeth. Not having received spacers myself (I will on Thursday), I can't offer you any additional advice - only my deepest sympathies.

Knowing how painful spacers can be, I'm starting to regret scheduling a job interview for 4 p.m. Thursday--about five hours after I receive my spacers.

Best of luck and many Advil to you! I suppose it's no consolation for me to say that when it comes to a great smile...no pain, no gain!? :crazy:

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

hannah164

#17 Post by hannah164 »

That looks incredibly painful TInman! :shock: I sure hope you feel better soon! :pinkbraces:

When I had spacers for the top my teeth hurt for about 5 days! :( I can't even imagine having 7 instead of two! :shock:

Just curious but what is reduction and why does it require spacers!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment 1/11/06

NotBob1

#18 Post by NotBob1 »

OMG TinMan!!! I have NOTHING to complain about! I will take my top and bottom molar spacers with a smile. (We'll see about that on about the 12th of Jan. when I am out here whining!!!!!) :shock:
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

Tin Man

#19 Post by Tin Man »

Alot of people with an overbite will eventually run out of space for the the uppers to come back. When this happens they "slenderize" the teeth on the bottom to allow more room. The correct name in interproximal (sp) reduction or IPR. Many people on the board just call it stripping.

My ortho prefers to have spacers in for a week so he has more room to work to avoid shaving off too much of the tooth. I have around 16mm total worth of gaps to close up on top so he wanted to strip in all seven of those gaps. He also mentioned we might have to do some bonding to get the "perfect" final result (not happy about that by the way, today was the first time he mentioned it to me). Any way I go in next Tuesday and he said it should take a little over an hour to finish. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Tin Man

#20 Post by Tin Man »

Alot of people with an overbite will eventually run out of space for the the uppers to come back. When this happens they "slenderize" the teeth on the bottom to allow more room. The correct name in interproximal (sp) reduction or IPR. Many people on the board just call it stripping.

My ortho prefers to have spacers in for a week so he has more room to work to avoid shaving off too much of the tooth. I have around 16mm total worth of gaps to close up on top so he wanted to strip in all seven of those gaps. He also mentioned we might have to do some bonding to get the "perfect" final result (not happy about that by the way, today was the first time he mentioned it to me). Any way I go in next Tuesday and he said it should take a little over an hour to finish. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Mike
Off November 06!

lesdents

#21 Post by lesdents »

I've still got four molar spacers on the bottom, and although I'm used to them, I can't help but tongue them incessantly which makes it a lot worse.

It really bothered me not to be able to floss and get it really clean in there, but I recently figured out how to gently ease the floss in and out of there. Cleaning it makes it feel better to me, because then I feel like it's a constructive pain...

It's worth it in the end! Just think how many years of good teeth you'll get to enjoy! Bear it a couple days and it'll get better.

Tin Man

#22 Post by Tin Man »

Ya know it's too bad my appointment wasn't a few weeks later. Once that torture ban bill makes its way through Congress he probably wouldn't be allowed to do this to me.
Mike
Off November 06!

dena

#23 Post by dena »

I have 8 spacers in right now, though around molars, so I'm sure the front ones are a lot more irritating. Mine were fine after about 5 days. I've had them in for 15 now and can't even feel them anymore. Good luck!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Tin Man

#24 Post by Tin Man »

I crowned my ortho the king of the understatement. Anytime he does something he either says it will be tender or sore. I really think he could be preparing to amputate my arm with a butter knife and he'd tell me it might be tender for a few days.
Mike
Off November 06!

Jesslzz 01

#25 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Yeah, the orthos tend to do that, I guess..."It will hurt just a little" :shock:
Sometimes I think some of them don't have a clue (or don't want to know) what feels like to have those things stuck between the teeth. Their intentions are good, though :wink:

I had some horrid metal wire spacers but I think your case is way worse! I feel pain just by looking at the picture!

I really wish you the best and hope that you feel better soon... :heart:

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

Granola

#26 Post by Granola »

OMG, that looks like torture. :shock: I am so sorry you are going through this. Thank goodness it is only temporary. It is painful just to look at it, so I can only imagine what you are feeling. I hope you get some relief in the coming days.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check