Adult ortho literature...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Evelyn

#1 Post by Evelyn »

Ugh I found mine the other day too...I think it was even patronizing for a seventh grader. I don't have it now but I'll bet mine actually did go so far as to name the parts, Billy the bracket and Larry the ligature...it was that bad.

Oh the things they put us through...
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

BlueeyedManda

#2 Post by BlueeyedManda »

The phamplet I was given was about adults. It has a woman with ceramic braces on the cover. It was nice. I was also given a blue and black book of what to expect and it had different headings from do they hurt, to options, and how will my coworkers react. I also got info on invisialign

jrbecca

#3 Post by jrbecca »

KK wrote:I've wondered what he'd do if I re-wrote it using language more suitable for adults 8) ...
Go for it, KK! I think this is a great idea. I think that all too often orthodontists and other professionals start to go through patients and procedures mechanically, not necessarily ever rethinking their approach (especially when it comes to customer service for children v. adults). It's almost as if they do things by habit, not by intention.

I really like my orthodontist, but he's used a few ploys on me that were obviously designed to get children to cooperate. For example, when preparing to take measurements of my mouth, he told me that Portland was having the "Biggest Mouth in the City Contest," and he wanted to see if I had the biggest mouth, so I needed to open really wide. Why he couldn't have said, "I need you to open your mouth as wide as possible," I'll never know. By the way, he said that I was easily in the top ten... :roll:

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

Eleni

#4 Post by Eleni »

I received no literature, written for children, adults, or otherwise.

The only pamphlets I saw were the ones in the waiting area, produced by the companies of each type of bracket the office uses. You know the ones, highly glossy, marketing waste of paper that explains why their product is right for you.

If you really want to rewrite it KK, first find out where the pamphlet originated from. Your ortho may purchase them in bulk from a company and therefore have no power over the content.

And jrbecca, my ortho said I had a big mouth too. But I didn't know if he was refering to my jaw or my sass. :wink:
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Destor

#5 Post by Destor »

Yup the Orthodontist I went to supplied a portfolio-type booklet. It has a picture of two young kids with braces on the front, but the information in it wasn't immature or patronising in the least, not sure if they have two different handouts for kids and adults or what. If not, it seems these were aimed more at the parents of the children getting the braces.

It came with lists covering "Caring for your Braces", "Orthodontic First Aid", "Appointment Schedueling" and "Infection Control". Tips on what not to eat, how to put a wire back into a bracket if it came out, a complete outline of brushing, and sterilization techniques used in their office, along with a copy of your photos. It was pretty invaluable before finding this site :thumbsup:
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

NotBob1

#6 Post by NotBob1 »

I say we get together and make one! Maybe the people on the "Naked tooth" board would be the best to do it.....

I suppose the illustrations would be hard to do on a board, but the text content would be easy. It could be a group project, everyone contributes and Lynn (if she has the time, that is....) can edit.

Hmmmm....... Well, I'm a dreamer.

:roll:
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

NotBob1

#7 Post by NotBob1 »

Funding the website, now there's a great idea.....this way it will always be around! My thought was: we all contribute our information and pointers, Lynn edits it, publishes it, and sells it on the Dentakit site!

This is, ofcourse, assuming she wants to do this.....It is her baby afterall.....

It seems like a fun project. I am good at coming up with ideas and contributing thoughts and pointers, but getting the ball rolling and putting them all into a sequence is where I tend to fall short. (It's an AD/HD thing!)

Anyway, if anyone else has some thoughts on this, speak up!

Does it really say only 4 days left down there???!!! :yikes: :FeelSick:
Pat

swan

#8 Post by swan »

All I got was one or two photocopies with instructions how to brush and what not to eat. They were photocopied out of some kind of pamphlet it seems, I remember the page number 20 being on the bottom.
The tone it was written in was neutral, just matter of fact. Written in a manner that most children would probably understand it, but not too simplistic.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

Shelby014

#9 Post by Shelby014 »

NotBob, what do you mean only 4 days left on here?(might be a dumb question, but i'm totally clueless)
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Shelby014

#10 Post by Shelby014 »

just gotta say KK that i love the purple dancing banana!!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

NotBob1

#11 Post by NotBob1 »

Hi Shelby.
I was referring to my ticker, which now says only "3" days left!! :yikes: :yikes: !!! before I get hooked up with braces. All in metal, I might add.....What was I thinking??!!

KK: I do think it is a great idea, I am going to keep all of my questions/thoughts/ideas on a Word doc. as I go through this. Thank you for your support on this.

I am SERIOUSLY considering backing out here at the last minute, but I know that would be foolish. Plus my wife would kill me! (She said so last night.) I'm going to do it and NOT back out. (I am 36 afterall, not 14) I just have to tell myself that it is an absolute necessity and not an option. It is elective, although, if I don't do it I'll grind all of my teeth down and make them into funny shapes!!!

This is really happenning, isn't it??? :-+ Three days, and then: :tingrin: Let's hope it's not: :ouch:
Pat

Destor

#12 Post by Destor »

haha good for your wife keeping you in check NotBob1 :P go for it! It won't be that bad :thumbsup: better late than never
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

Betty Bat

#13 Post by Betty Bat »

NotBob1,
I almost backed out at the last minute, too. Sitting in the car, outside the ortho's office, I was thinking "what am I doing to myself?" But, then I decided that it just needed to be done. And, it hasn't been too bad (knock wood once again). Now, I can't wait to see what I look like when I get done (16 months from now!)