This is a helpful tip I discovered

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kittysopretty

This is a helpful tip I discovered

#1 Post by Kittysopretty »

Maybe you already do this but....

I was too embarrassed to whip out my portable toothbrush in the crowded Xmastime mall bathroom and brush (there was so private handicap stall to slip into) so ....

For my next outing, I took that little tree thing the ortho gave me, dipped into my toothpaste (I just opened the tube and inserted the tree and pulled it out). Then I just put the tree's cap back on. When I went into the public bathroom again, it was ready-to-go and therefore quicker, less messy and my teeth looked actually cleaner. Plus no one could really tell what I was doing!

BraceUrself

#2 Post by BraceUrself »

great,useful tip! Thanks!
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

You should never feel embarrassed cleaning your teeth in a public bathroom.

Firstly dentists actually recommend that all people brush after every meal (though of course most of us, unbraced, don't bother).

Secondly once people see you have a brace, they'll figure it out.

And does their opinion really matter? They would have to be really ignorant to think negatively towards you.

Kittysopretty

#4 Post by Kittysopretty »

Well, it is not embarrassing that I am brushing, but rather it's embarrassing because I am getting globs of food out of my teeth, etc. ya know? I don't want to gross anyone out.

hannah164

#5 Post by hannah164 »

Sounds like an awesome tip! THanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I'm not very good at brushing my teeth in public at all! I just feel so embarrassed! :oops: I usually got just go in a private stall and take my little proxy christmas tree brush and clean out all the food with my little portable mirror! :-#)

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment 1/11/06

Kim

#6 Post by Kim »

I don't have a problem with other people brushing their teeth in public, but I myself wouldn't do it. I think public toilets are disgusting. I hate using them let alone brush my teeth in one. Urgh! It makes me sick thinking about it!
-Slight upper crowding
-Moderate lower crowding
-5mm overbite
-Right posterior crossbite

Brooke

#7 Post by Brooke »

I think its more of a hassle then embarrassing, but I can agree, I hate public bathrooms. So, to me, I'd rather not use one for anything really.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

Way Too Old For This

#8 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I agree with the qualms about using public restrooms because of the ick ! Especially the one here at work. We have a woman here who actually blows her nose in the sink! I usually use the handicap sink becuase no else seems to use it.

I want my husband to put a garbage disposal in our bathroom sink. I'm afraid all the food coming out of my braces will stop up the sink!
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

eurydice

#9 Post by eurydice »

I've seen some "instant toothbrushes" available to buy at my orthodontists - it's like a normal toothbrush but with a hollow handle which is filled with paste, you twist it and paste goes onto the brush and away you go!! Not sure what they're called though, sorry! I'll have a look properly at my next visit!
Braced 3 May 2005

Kittysopretty

#10 Post by Kittysopretty »

Well, I will say that now that I have been braced for almost a month I have no problems brushing in public!! It was truly humiliated at first, mainly because I was somewhat embarrassed to have braces at 34. Now I am proud of them and find them adorbale! I think the reason I felt embarrassed was because they felt so big and awkward that I felt like I looked odd (when I didn't).

Although I bought the BEST travel toothbrush (it is a normal and nice brush that simply folds in two) I still find my pasted-up ready-to-go tree convenient and handy!

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#11 Post by nahky »

Kim wrote:I don't have a problem with other people brushing their teeth in public, but I myself wouldn't do it. I think public toilets are disgusting. I hate using them let alone brush my teeth in one. Urgh! It makes me sick thinking about it!
I couldnt agree anymore. I cant bring myself to brush in a germ-infested public restroom.

What i do is always carry a bottle of water around with me to constantly swish after a meal. I go to the toilets to use the mirrors. I then get all the gunk out i can see and keep swishing with my water, dont really care what other blokes think im doing.

I ALWAYS carry portable antibacterial gel with me, the the kind which doesnt need water and dries with air. Its a must for me after touching public toilet handles or doors. ok, maybe im a bit anal, but i feel at ease know my hands are clean (especially if im picking food out manually, haha :P )
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007