Spacers in 1/3/06

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dena

#16 Post by dena »

How long will you have to wear braces and did you get ceramic/metal?

Can you tell me how they removed your spacers and what it was like to get the bands placed?
ssfw--My braces will be on for 24-30 months. I got ceramic on top and metal on bottom.

The spacers/bands were easy. You know that little dentist's pick used to clean teeth (kinda looks like a hook?) They basically pulled the little rings out with something like that. My spacers had made significant space in my mind, but they still had some trouble pulling them out (no pain...they just didn't come right out.) Even so, putting on the four molar bands wasn't bad at all for me. The assistant put them over my molars and then had me bite down on a little instrument to push them the rest of the way. She did all the work...she moved this little thing around the band and sorta had me bite every now and again to tuck the band into place. It didn't hurt at all. Then the ortho removed all the bands, added the cement, and put them back on using the same process. Then they used this little light thing on the cement to harden it. I've heard others say they thought it hurt, but I luckily had no pain.

So far, everything else is going alright! I'll be really happy when the huge craters in my jaw (from the extractions) are gone, but they seem to be healing nicely so I can't complain too much!

Have a great weekend!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

ssfw

#17 Post by ssfw »

Hi 2longyears,

I hope you're feeling better. Take some Advil to give yourself some relief for the pain.

Isn't it interesting that the side they didn't have trouble getting the spacers in is the side that gave you some irritation. I'm curious, if they were not able to place the standard spacers in, how do they get the metal spacers in? I have heard that metal spacers were not comfortable but luckily you are doing very well.

I wouldn't worry about thinking the spacers on your left side (?) not giving you any problems is not working. Other than a slight ache when I chew, I sometimes have to check to be sure the spacers are still in. If I bite down, I do feel slight pressure on my molars and my bite seems to be a bit off - I think because of the movement of the upper teeth due to the spacers.

Is getting bonded the same thing as getting the bands placed? How many bands are you getting? On the upper and lower? It's interesting that your orthodontist is having you wait for a month after he places the bands to then palce your braces. You should ask him/her the reason for this delay.

My ortho treatment will be about 20 months. I will wear my expander for about 3 months, upper braces for 3 months then lower braces will be placed.

I know 2 years seem like a long time but I know you're glad that you begin your ortho treatment and am looking forward to the progress.

As I mentioned in a reply to ErinABerens, I think it's nice to see the progress of people that begin their orthodontic treatment around the same time. Of course everyone's case is different and treatment time will vary but I still think it will be nice to see how everyone's ortho treatment is progressing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw

2longyears wrote:I got my spacers on Jan 3rd...On the right side, they went in very easily, now the left side, he couldn't get them in, so he had to use some metals to act as spacers. I gotta say, it hurt so much getting the metals in, but for some reason I feel no pain at all on that side the day after. However, my right side hurts a lot when I chew and that side of my face was swallen, however, the pain is not that bad. I had to chew with my front teeth today which was kind of weird. I wonder if my spacers on the right side aren't working and that's why it doesn't hurt at all. I guess I'll find out on Monday.

I am going in on Monday to get bonded. My ortho wants me to be bonded for 3-4 weeks before putting on the braces. I though he was going to bond and put braces in the same day, but he wants me to wait 3-4 weeks.

I was deciding betwen damon 3's or ceramic, at the end, because I am in business I ended up picking ceramics on top and metal on bottom.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ErinABerens

#18 Post by ErinABerens »

Hi there! The spacer pain is a little better today. I took Bayer and it helps. The only problems I am having are with chewing. So, I have been eating soft food.
I am getting upper and lower braces and having two top teeth removed. I'll be in my gear for about 2 years. I am SOOOOO amped!!!
Erin :HugeGrin:

ssfw

#19 Post by ssfw »

Hi ErinABerens,

I'm glad your spacers are less painful today.

Yes, soft foods are so helpful at this time. I'm having more irritation when I chew on the left side so I'm mainly chewing on the right side. Still, I have not had to take anything for pain due to the spacers. From reading other posts regarding spacers, it seems quite a few people had alot of pain. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones and I'm hoping I will continue this luck with the bands, upper expander and braces - but for some reason I don't think I will be that lucky. I'm just going to continue to keep in mind that I'm glad I began the orthodontic treatment and am looking forward to seeing the final outcome in about 20 months. I am so glad that the two orthodontists treating me are so nice. They have both always answered all of my questions and explained things to me - for me knowing what will be done and why makes it so much easier for me instead of having the entire orthodontic treatment be a mystery, but I do know there are patients that don't want to know detail and just wants to get it done - I guess it's a personal preference thing.

Keep us posted on your ortho treatment and I hope your time in braces is more comfortable than the spacers. I'm glad you are looking forward to getting your braces - my only hesitation is the visual aspect of the braces, but I will get over it. What type of braces are you getting?

ssfw
ErinABerens wrote:Hi there! The spacer pain is a little better today. I took Bayer and it helps. The only problems I am having are with chewing. So, I have been eating soft food.
I am getting upper and lower braces and having two top teeth removed. I'll be in my gear for about 2 years. I am SOOOOO amped!!!
Erin :HugeGrin:

jrbecca

#20 Post by jrbecca »

I'm so happy to hear that Advil has not had to become an entree for you, ssfw! I, on the other hand, have been carrying a bottle of Advil with me everywhere I go, usually finding it necessary to take 2-4 pills each day to keep away the aches and pains. I had four spacers installed on Thursday.

I agree that soft foods are incredibly helpful--fish, pasta, mashed potatoes, etc. I've also been using my crockpot more. When cooked all day long in the crockpot, chicken and beef really softens, making it tender enough to eat.

Putting two of the four spacers in provided the orthodontist's assistant with quite a challenge. She broke one spacer in the struggle and irritated my gums so much with the floss she was using to place the spacers, that I bled a bit. It was such an ordeal (although not painful), that I left the orthodontist's office shaking uncontrollably.

In the end, the two spacers that posed such problems couldn't be fully inserted between my molars. Within a few hours, one of the spacers in question tightened up on its own, so it's more secure. The other actually began working itself out from between my teeth. While talking to a caterer this morning (I'm getting married next year), the dangling spacer fell out! :shock:

I felt the spacer on my tongue, waited until the caterer stepped away for a moment, took the spacer out of my mouth and quickly stuck it in my pocket. I phoned and left a message for my orthodontist telling him about the spacer and expect to go into his office on Monday to have another installed.

I envy those of you who only have to wear spacers for a handful of days. My spacers will be removed on Thursday to allow the orthodontist to measure my teeth for the expander. Then, spacers will be reinstalled until brace day, Jan. 18. All told, I'll have spacers for two weeks straight. :FeelSick:

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

ErinABerens

#21 Post by ErinABerens »

Hi! I am getting metal braces. I think I'll look cute and since I am an elementary school teacher I wanted to be more like my students. Actually, they all requested that I get metal like them :lol:
Someone mentioned wearing only 4 spacers and I am jealous. I have 8!! Could this be why I want to put my head through a wall?!?!?! :-+
Today seems a little better in terms of pain BUT all I have eaten is applesauce and a VERY soft muffin. The pain seems to be the worst when I attempt to eat something that requires chewing. No popcorn for me when i go see "Brokeback Mountain" today. Oh well...
Erin
BTW...Do any of you have sores in your mouth from the spacers? I have one. I don't think the spacers would do that but maybe?

bajanrose

#22 Post by bajanrose »

Hey I'm getting braces about the same time as you ErinABerens in three or four days, metal as well. I'm getting my uppers first unless the ortho decides to change his mind and do upper and lower...I have 2 appointments wednesday and thursday..why would I need two appointments? Anyone have an idea?
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

ssfw

#23 Post by ssfw »

Hi jrbecca,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time with the spacers and with one falling out, I'm sure that made your day. Isn't Advil the greatest? Hopefully you live/work close to your ortho's office - this is one of the factors when deciding which ortho to choose - it makes it easier when you have unexpected things like this happen, it's not an emergency but you just want to get it fixed as soon as possible, without a major inconvenience to get there. My ortho's office is about 10 minutes from me and that's why it hasn't been a problem with all of the appts. I have pre-expander and pre-braces.

You indicated you were getting an expander also, upper or lower, or both? What type of expander are you getting? Reinserting the spacers after making the impression for your expander next Thursday would be similar to my timeframe because my ortho told me to get the spacers reinserted 2 days prior to the expander being placed. Since your impression appt. is next Thursday and the expander will be placed on 1/18/06, you may also want to ask your ortho if you really need to wear them that long and he may just have you come in to get them reinserted a couple days prior but that will mean one additional appt. for you. By the way, my spacers will be on for a week before they are removed (pre-impression), same as yours. I chose to have the expander placed towards the end of the month because I have a special event to attend and didn't want to take the chances of major discomfort, otherwise I would have had it placed a week prior - I figured a week won't make that much of a difference.

What type of ortho correction are you getting? Are you going to have the expander and braces placed at the same time? Upper and lower braces? How long will your ortho treatment be? I will be wearing the expander for about 3 months then upper braces will be placed. After about 4 months of wearing the upper braces my ortho will check my bite and see if he can get the bite corrected without lower braces. My main ortho corretion will be to correct my crossbite on my left side and reduce my 5 mm overjet. My ortho did mention at my last appt. that to maximize the overjet correction he will need to get the lower braces so that's what I have planned in my mind. Without the lower braces my overjet can only be corrected to about 3 mm. Getting the lower braces will add about 8 months to my ortho treatment - 20 months total.

I hope the rest of your ortho treatment will be more comfortable. Keep us posted - it's nice to keep in touch with people that are beginning ortho treatment around the same time. Let me know how you are adjusting to the expander after you get it placed on 1/18/06.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding? Will you still have your braces on by your wedding date?

Good luck and take care.

ssfw
jrbecca wrote:I'm so happy to hear that Advil has not had to become an entree for you, ssfw! I, on the other hand, have been carrying a bottle of Advil with me everywhere I go, usually finding it necessary to take 2-4 pills each day to keep away the aches and pains. I had four spacers installed on Thursday.

I agree that soft foods are incredibly helpful--fish, pasta, mashed potatoes, etc. I've also been using my crockpot more. When cooked all day long in the crockpot, chicken and beef really softens, making it tender enough to eat.

Putting two of the four spacers in provided the orthodontist's assistant with quite a challenge. She broke one spacer in the struggle and irritated my gums so much with the floss she was using to place the spacers, that I bled a bit. It was such an ordeal (although not painful), that I left the orthodontist's office shaking uncontrollably.

In the end, the two spacers that posed such problems couldn't be fully inserted between my molars. Within a few hours, one of the spacers in question tightened up on its own, so it's more secure. The other actually began working itself out from between my teeth. While talking to a caterer this morning (I'm getting married next year), the dangling spacer fell out! :shock:

I felt the spacer on my tongue, waited until the caterer stepped away for a moment, took the spacer out of my mouth and quickly stuck it in my pocket. I phoned and left a message for my orthodontist telling him about the spacer and expect to go into his office on Monday to have another installed.

I envy those of you who only have to wear spacers for a handful of days. My spacers will be removed on Thursday to allow the orthodontist to measure my teeth for the expander. Then, spacers will be reinstalled until brace day, Jan. 18. All told, I'll have spacers for two weeks straight. :FeelSick:

ssfw

#24 Post by ssfw »

Hi ErinABerens,

No, I haven't gotten any sores yet and hope I don't. KK has mentioned the saltwater remedy. If that doesn't work, I have used a product bought over the counter at the drugstore called Glyoxide - this seems to heal the cold sore so much quicker than if you didn't use anything - it is kind of expensive for such a small bottle but you have to remember that you're only using a few drops each time and it does seem to heal alot quicker.

The sore may have been caused when they were having difficulty in getting a couple of your spacers in?????

Enjoy the movies today and bring something that you can snack on - I don't eat popcorn alot but not being able to eat it soon makes me want to have some before the expander is placed. I'm sure being an elementary school teacher will make it alot easier for you to wear braces - you can probably get some great hints from your students. The visibility of the braces is about the only thing that I'm stressing about, but I'll get over it.

ssfw
ErinABerens wrote:Hi! I am getting metal braces. I think I'll look cute and since I am an elementary school teacher I wanted to be more like my students. Actually, they all requested that I get metal like them :lol:
Someone mentioned wearing only 4 spacers and I am jealous. I have 8!! Could this be why I want to put my head through a wall?!?!?! :-+
Today seems a little better in terms of pain BUT all I have eaten is applesauce and a VERY soft muffin. The pain seems to be the worst when I attempt to eat something that requires chewing. No popcorn for me when i go see "Brokeback Mountain" today. Oh well...
Erin
BTW...Do any of you have sores in your mouth from the spacers? I have one. I don't think the spacers would do that but maybe?

ssfw

#25 Post by ssfw »

Hi bajanrose,

I have heard that some orthos place the brackets on one day then insert the wire the next day - not sure if this is the answer in your case. Next time be sure to ask your ortho. so that you know what to expect.

Good luck.

ssfw
bajanrose wrote:Hey I'm getting braces about the same time as you ErinABerens in three or four days, metal as well. I'm getting my uppers first unless the ortho decides to change his mind and do upper and lower...I have 2 appointments wednesday and thursday..why would I need two appointments? Anyone have an idea?

ssfw

#26 Post by ssfw »

Hi dena,

Thanks for the info. about the removal of spacers and the placement of the bands - this is very helpful to me so that I will know what to expect.

Just wondering why you chose ceramic for the upper and metal for the lower. I was thinking about the same because of the visibility of the braces. Are the metal braces small? I've seen the ones on the demos but sometimes they look different when they are placed on your teeth. Do your lower braces show alot? At one point, I was thinking about getting all metal.

I hope you continue to have pain-free ortho treatment.

ssfw
dena wrote:
How long will you have to wear braces and did you get ceramic/metal?

Can you tell me how they removed your spacers and what it was like to get the bands placed?
ssfw--My braces will be on for 24-30 months. I got ceramic on top and metal on bottom.

The spacers/bands were easy. You know that little dentist's pick used to clean teeth (kinda looks like a hook?) They basically pulled the little rings out with something like that. My spacers had made significant space in my mind, but they still had some trouble pulling them out (no pain...they just didn't come right out.) Even so, putting on the four molar bands wasn't bad at all for me. The assistant put them over my molars and then had me bite down on a little instrument to push them the rest of the way. She did all the work...she moved this little thing around the band and sorta had me bite every now and again to tuck the band into place. It didn't hurt at all. Then the ortho removed all the bands, added the cement, and put them back on using the same process. Then they used this little light thing on the cement to harden it. I've heard others say they thought it hurt, but I luckily had no pain.

So far, everything else is going alright! I'll be really happy when the huge craters in my jaw (from the extractions) are gone, but they seem to be healing nicely so I can't complain too much!

Have a great weekend!

dena

#27 Post by dena »

Hi all!
Just wondering why you chose ceramic for the upper and metal for the lower. I was thinking about the same because of the visibility of the braces. Are the metal braces small? I've seen the ones on the demos but sometimes they look different when they are placed on your teeth. Do your lower braces show alot? At one point, I was thinking about getting all metal.
ssfw--my ortho doesn't charge extra for ceramic tops for adults. He basically said that's what most adults want from him and I went ahead an agreed with him! It sounded like a good enough solution, and I didn't really think about it beyond that. The metal braces are much smaller...I have to admit however that they've bothered me much more than the top. Sometimes they just really irritate the inside of my lower lip. Perhaps the shape of my mouth is at play here because when I smile and talk, its only my top teeth that really show. People have offered a lot of good advice both pro and con for the ceramic braces. I'm not sure what to offer...since cost wasn't an issue, I liked the idea. Frankly, I can always see them, but they also blend in really well.

Thanks for the tip on the Glyoxide...I'm gonna check that out!
All told, I'll have spacers for two weeks straight
jrbecca--I hear ya! I did have some trouble having the spacers placed, but not as much as you did--hope you continue to feel better. However, I did have mine in for 16 days...the pain significantly decreased around the 1 week mark for me and by the end, I could basically eat whatever I wanted without feeling the spacers. I hope that's encouraging!

For anyone worried about taking too much advil (I think there are a few other threads on this, too) my aunt is a pharmacy tech and she said that alternating between tylenol and advil is okay. I was still having some pain the other day and took advil, waited four hours, took tylenol, etc. Taking too much advil really freaks me out because I had an aunt who went into renal failure partially from taking too much advil once (she actually had something much more serious going on, but still) so I really try to avoid it.

I think I really may be crazy and too hopeful, but one of my teeth feels different already...could it have moved in 3 days? :D

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

ssfw

#28 Post by ssfw »

Hi dena,

Thanks for the info about your braces. My ortho charges extra for the ceramic braces but I felt that if this would make me feel better than it will be worth the additional cost. I do know some people just have them on the front teeth and metal on the remaining back teeth. I have a few months to think about it.

Glad the Glyoxide tip might be of some help to you.

I really think there may be some movement in your teeth in 3 days because once the braces are placed, the teeth are moving. I had braces years ago and recall seeing some change very quickly. When I had braces before, I never had spacers, bands or an expander so all of this is new to me - but this time I am so much more knowledgeable about ortho treatment due to this website.

Keep us posted on your progress.

ssfw

ssfw--my ortho doesn't charge extra for ceramic tops for adults. He basically said that's what most adults want from him and I went ahead an agreed with him! It sounded like a good enough solution, and I didn't really think about it beyond that. The metal braces are much smaller...I have to admit however that they've bothered me much more than the top. Sometimes they just really irritate the inside of my lower lip. Perhaps the shape of my mouth is at play here because when I smile and talk, its only my top teeth that really show. People have offered a lot of good advice both pro and con for the ceramic braces. I'm not sure what to offer...since cost wasn't an issue, I liked the idea. Frankly, I can always see them, but they also blend in really well.

Thanks for the tip on the Glyoxide...I'm gonna check that out!
All told, I'll have spacers for two weeks straight
I think I really may be crazy and too hopeful, but one of my teeth feels different already...could it have moved in 3 days? :D[/quote]

Liza Bee

#29 Post by Liza Bee »

ssfw,
I noticed you are getting a Quad Helix expander. I am wondering how similar this might be to my Series 2000 expander. Yours does not require a key; neither does mine. My understanding is that my expander is constantly exerting low pressure...there is "memory" in the metal design.

My orthodontist created the Series 2000 design(s) and has enjoyed great success with it. His technique develops beautiful broad smiles that enhance the adult face. There is an interesting video clip on his web site (www.gulfcoastorthodontics.com) that shows a segment from the Today Show with Katie Courik discussing the benefits of not extracting teeth and broadening smiles to look best in adulthood.

Liza

ssfw

#30 Post by ssfw »

Hi Liza Bee,

I'm not sure the difference between the Quad Helix expander and theSeries 2000 expander but if you find out let me know. Is your expander to correct a crossbite or maybe that's what they all do? My orthodontist told me the outcome would be the same whether I use the Quad Helix or the Rapid Palatal Expander (with a key) - may need more appts.???? for the Quad helix because the ortho has to make the adjustments but I'm fine with that because it gives me the opportunity to ask about my progress.

Take Care.

ssfw
Liza Bee wrote:ssfw,
I noticed you are getting a Quad Helix expander. I am wondering how similar this might be to my Series 2000 expander. Yours does not require a key; neither does mine. My understanding is that my expander is constantly exerting low pressure...there is "memory" in the metal design.

My orthodontist created the Series 2000 design(s) and has enjoyed great success with it. His technique develops beautiful broad smiles that enhance the adult face. There is an interesting video clip on his web site (www.gulfcoastorthodontics.com) that shows a segment from the Today Show with Katie Courik discussing the benefits of not extracting teeth and broadening smiles to look best in adulthood.

Liza