Even models don't have perfect teeth! (Fascinating pics)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mtbrncofn

#16 Post by mtbrncofn »

Chocoholic wrote:Just look at Kate Moss, her teeth aren't that great.
Yeah, that cocaine will do that to your teeth.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Destor

#17 Post by Destor »

Chocoholic wrote:Just look at Kate Moss, her teeth aren't that great.

A friend of mine is a professional photographer and he spends so much time touching up photos of seemingly 'perfect' people. HE hates doing it, but the publications and agencies insist. They like the models to almost have that plastic, unattainable look.

I do think it's very sad.
It is, so sad, and it sets completely unrealistic expectations into people's minds, espescially younger people. The fact is, the human body isn't that perfect, ever, and it's hard to resist comparing yourself to these models. Seeing is believing, no matter how many times you're told they aren't that perfect.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

Natasha_26

#18 Post by Natasha_26 »

After reading this post, I kinda feel much better abt myself. I must admit that for years I have wished that I looked like the girls on the covers of magazines..I kept wondering why they were so perfect..the questions that kept coming to my mind was..are they just doing the right things or is it just genetic????

Now I know that its just edited photographs...

Atleast now I know that just like me, nobodys perfect!!!

Upper and Lower Ceramics

vanilla

#19 Post by vanilla »

I have worked on a tween magazine for girls aged between 8-12. We did remove smile wrinkles and even out skintone. However, we didn't plump or cinch anything cos we didn't want them to look like little women! I also met a lot of the readers that came into the office and most of them were mini-consumers already. Kids these days do grow up with a lot more daily pressure on them.

And it's not only the kids that want to live up to these expectations: a mother of one of the winners to model in the magazine sent us an irate, 2-page letter about how we made her daughter look fat! I flipped back to the pages of the comp-winner model shoot and she looked like a normal 10-year-old. Maybe she was expecting us to add shadows and cinch her waistline to make her look like Kate Moss or something.

Photo manipulation contributes to what sells. The media can be considered a reflection of the consumer. A target audience will not buy a magazine with an average-looking girl on the cover. They will go for the image with glamour & gloss. Though, funnily enough, 'stars without makeup' always sell well, too!
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

Brooke

#20 Post by Brooke »

Wow! I really appreciate you posting this. I always knew that they did touch ups but that was like changing the entire girl! :shock: That made me feel a lot better about myself! Thanks!
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

bajanrose

#21 Post by bajanrose »

Well I must say I had no idea they went to all the trouble to make the models look like that in magazines. Growing up I didn't want to look like them and the pressure wasnt that great on looks. I'm 21 btw. But those images were something!
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

Andreas

#22 Post by Andreas »

Why are people always looking for a way to say "ALL PUBLIC IMAGES OF FEMALES ARE FAKE AND AIRBRUSHED"? I mean seriously, I understand it is to show the people who may try their hardest to 'live up' to the be 'the most beautiful'..that some types of perfection are just not physically possible to achieve.

These images are just to show what CAN be done. It does not necessarily mean that ALL images are retouched to the same extent. And yeah some models have perfect teeth, some don't. These magazine publications are under pressure in a sense..even if somebody who was in charge of the editing said "hey. this is overexaggeration, she's only 14"..it wouldn't matter too much. The standards have been set since way back, pretty hard to be 'groundbreaking' all of a sudden, and put images out that are not polished and still expect to hold weight while competing with other publications...

alexa

#23 Post by alexa »

Evelyn wrote:Whoever said high school was the best four years of your life had to be drunk or something :roll: :roll: :roll:
lol. I said the same thing when I was in high school, Eve...and I think we are right on the money! :wink:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

mtbrncofn

#24 Post by mtbrncofn »

alexa wrote:
Evelyn wrote:Whoever said high school was the best four years of your life had to be drunk or something :roll: :roll: :roll:
lol. I said the same thing when I was in high school, Eve...and I think we are right on the money! :wink:
I would wholeheartedly agree with this statement! I always think those people that say, "man I wish I could go back in time to my high school days", are crazy!

I was overjoyed to get out of high school and all its drama and would never want to go back. :shock:
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

bajanrose

#25 Post by bajanrose »

mtbrncofn wrote:
alexa wrote:
I would wholeheartedly agree with this statement! I always think those people that say, "man I wish I could go back in time to my high school days", are crazy!

I was overjoyed to get out of high school and all its drama and would never want to go back. :shock:
I agree! Couldn't wait to be outta high school!!!!! 8)
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#26 Post by nahky »

bajanrose wrote:
mtbrncofn wrote:
alexa wrote:

I agree! Couldn't wait to be outta high school!!!!! 8)

Me five!.... I graduated 2 months ago and was thrilled, although a lil sad, was great to be freed from highschool. A new start for me, and to top it off, jaw surgery soon and great teeth for a truly fresh start.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

CHOIRSPARKLE

#27 Post by CHOIRSPARKLE »

thats funny!!!!