Spacers in 1/3/06

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Liza Bee

#31 Post by Liza Bee »

ssfw,
I noticed you are getting a Quad Helix expander. I am wondering how similar this might be to my Series 2000 expander. Yours does not require a key; neither does mine. My understanding is that my expander is constantly exerting low pressure...there is "memory" in the metal design.

My orthodontist created the Series 2000 design(s) and has enjoyed great success with it. His technique develops beautiful broad smiles that enhance the adult face. There is an interesting video clip on his web site (www.gulfcoastorthodontics.com) that shows a segment from the Today Show with Katie Courik discussing the benefits of not extracting teeth and broadening smiles to look best in adulthood.

Liza

ssfw

#32 Post by ssfw »

Hi Liza Bee,

I'm not sure the difference between the Quad Helix expander and theSeries 2000 expander but if you find out let me know. Is your expander to correct a crossbite or maybe that's what they all do? My orthodontist told me the outcome would be the same whether I use the Quad Helix or the Rapid Palatal Expander (with a key) - may need more appts.???? for the Quad helix because the ortho has to make the adjustments but I'm fine with that because it gives me the opportunity to ask about my progress.

Take Care.

ssfw
Liza Bee wrote:ssfw,
I noticed you are getting a Quad Helix expander. I am wondering how similar this might be to my Series 2000 expander. Yours does not require a key; neither does mine. My understanding is that my expander is constantly exerting low pressure...there is "memory" in the metal design.

My orthodontist created the Series 2000 design(s) and has enjoyed great success with it. His technique develops beautiful broad smiles that enhance the adult face. There is an interesting video clip on his web site (www.gulfcoastorthodontics.com) that shows a segment from the Today Show with Katie Courik discussing the benefits of not extracting teeth and broadening smiles to look best in adulthood.

Liza
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Liza Bee

#33 Post by Liza Bee »

ssfw,

I was wondering if your expander was similar to mine because it needed no key but it sounds like your orthodontist makes adjustments to the Quad Helix. The Series 2000 is not adjusted; it is always exerting pressure. The benefit is that results are achieved quickly. I guess that with an adjustable expander, pressure would be exerted to a certain point, then there would be no pressure for a while (a little down time), then you would have an adjustment to start the pressure up again.

The question that is rolling around in my head is this: If pressure is constantly exerted, how do you get to a point of comfort? I know that sometimes people get comfortable in their braces and, rats, it's time to get them tightened, they're sore for a while, they get comfortable, then-here we go again- it's time to tighten again.

My own kids used Series 2000 and got used to it fairly quickly but I seem to be slow in developing toleration.

Liza

Liza Bee

#34 Post by Liza Bee »

ssfw,

Oops, didn't answer one of your questions. I do have a crossbite but a reason for the expander is to create a broad smile. Aesthetically, my ortho is big on taking facial measurements and creating a smile that enhances the adult face. I watched a before and after presentation of some of his cases that wowed me. He showed patients in their forties that looked so much younger after orthodontics. Broad smiles supported their facial structures better--even their lips looked fuller.

ssfw

#35 Post by ssfw »

Hi Liza,

Is the expander you will be getting the kind that places pressure using the warmth from your mouth and if you drink cold water it releases a bit of the pressure? I bet my expander is the type that once you are comfortable it is probably time to adjust it. But keep in mind that we will get through all of this. Ortho treatment, whether you have had it before or not, is a new journey for all patients and toleration of changes and objects placed in the mouth takes time to adjust to - I'm sure you will be fine. Keep us posted on your progress.

ssfw
Liza Bee wrote:ssfw,

I was wondering if your expander was similar to mine because it needed no key but it sounds like your orthodontist makes adjustments to the Quad Helix. The Series 2000 is not adjusted; it is always exerting pressure. The benefit is that results are achieved quickly. I guess that with an adjustable expander, pressure would be exerted to a certain point, then there would be no pressure for a while (a little down time), then you would have an adjustment to start the pressure up again.

The question that is rolling around in my head is this: If pressure is constantly exerted, how do you get to a point of comfort? I know that sometimes people get comfortable in their braces and, rats, it's time to get them tightened, they're sore for a while, they get comfortable, then-here we go again- it's time to tighten again.

My own kids used Series 2000 and got used to it fairly quickly but I seem to be slow in developing toleration.

Liza

Liza Bee

#36 Post by Liza Bee »

Hi ssfw,
My expander doesn't work like that. Here's some info off of my ortho's web site (www.gulfcoastorthodontics.com) that describe Series 2000:

"The Series 2000, a line of fixed jaw bone expanders...is being labeled as 'the future of orthodontics'. His invention has garnered him world-wide recognition and speaking engagements all around the world including an invitation to speak at Peking University in China."

"...takes patient compliance out of the picture, realigning the patient's arch with his fixed spring expander to avoid having teeth extracted and eliminating the need for headgear. The linear force used to realign the patient's arch works more efficiently and is modification friendly...require no active adjustments, so there are fewer and shorter office visits."

"Made of nickel-titanium, the appliances range from maxillary spring loaded palatal expanders to a distalizing molar jig. He has treated patients as young as 4 and as old as 66 with this mechanism."

He has "eight U.S. patents and 25 foreign patents for his Series 2000 appliances and 20 different applicances based on his designs are currently in production. He has published many articles on orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics."

ssfw,
I remember when the palatal expander was first placed, there was something on it that was holding it in a contracted position. Once it was cemented, that was taken off to allow it to exert pressure on my teeth.

Liza

ssfw

#37 Post by ssfw »

Hi Liza,

Thanks for the info. about your expander. I recall reading about this on another website. I think there are different expansion widths that could be made and each one is custom made for your ortho needs. It expands at a certain speed and keeps expanding until the requested expansion goal is reached. Is this right or is this another type of expander? Must be kind of nice that your ortho has the patent on it.

Thanks again,

ssfw

Liza Bee wrote:Hi ssfw,
My expander doesn't work like that. Here's some info off of my ortho's web site (www.gulfcoastorthodontics.com) that describe Series 2000:

"The Series 2000, a line of fixed jaw bone expanders...is being labeled as 'the future of orthodontics'. His invention has garnered him world-wide recognition and speaking engagements all around the world including an invitation to speak at Peking University in China."

"...takes patient compliance out of the picture, realigning the patient's arch with his fixed spring expander to avoid having teeth extracted and eliminating the need for headgear. The linear force used to realign the patient's arch works more efficiently and is modification friendly...require no active adjustments, so there are fewer and shorter office visits."

"Made of nickel-titanium, the appliances range from maxillary spring loaded palatal expanders to a distalizing molar jig. He has treated patients as young as 4 and as old as 66 with this mechanism."

He has "eight U.S. patents and 25 foreign patents for his Series 2000 appliances and 20 different applicances based on his designs are currently in production. He has published many articles on orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics."

ssfw,
I remember when the palatal expander was first placed, there was something on it that was holding it in a contracted position. Once it was cemented, that was taken off to allow it to exert pressure on my teeth.

Liza

Liza Bee

#38 Post by Liza Bee »

ssfw,
It's easy to have confidence in my orthodontist :jump: . It's me that I have trouble having confidence in :paperbag: .

He's one of those people who has found his true calling. Love's what he does and is always striving to find an even better way to do it. Had a super nice office close to the beach but it took a hit from Katrina (like most everything else around here). Appointments have been in a smaller satellite office but the original office is supposed to be repaired by my next appointment in March.

And yes, it's my understanding that Series 2000 will keep expanding until it reaches it's destination. It's a pretty nifty device...he travels frequently to orthodontic conventions and assorted academic lectures to demonstrate the results that can be achieved with it.

Liza

jrbecca

#39 Post by jrbecca »

ssfw wrote:Hi jrbecca,

You indicated you were getting an expander also, upper or lower, or both? What type of expander are you getting? Reinserting the spacers after making the impression for your expander next Thursday would be similar to my timeframe because my ortho told me to get the spacers reinserted 2 days prior to the expander being placed. Since your impression appt. is next Thursday and the expander will be placed on 1/18/06, you may also want to ask your ortho if you really need to wear them that long and he may just have you come in to get them reinserted a couple days prior but that will mean one additional appt. for you.

What type of ortho correction are you getting? Are you going to have the expander and braces placed at the same time? Upper and lower braces? How long will your ortho treatment be? I
I hope the rest of your ortho treatment will be more comfortable. Keep us posted - it's nice to keep in touch with people that are beginning ortho treatment around the same time. Let me know how you are adjusting to the expander after you get it placed on 1/18/06.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding? Will you still have your braces on by your wedding date?

Good luck and take care.

ssfw
Hi, ssfw! Thank you for your kind, thoughtful words. Yes, Advil is the greatest. After my spacer fell out, the pain started to subside. I had a new spacer inserted this morning, however, and have been in quite a bit of pain ever since. It's especially horrendous when I happen to talk in such a way that my upper and lower right molars hit one another. Ouch! :soremouth:

I'm getting an upper expander only--what type, I'm not certain, although it will not require me to turn any keys (I've requested an orthodontic hardware laundry list on Thursday). The expander will widen my very narrow upper palette. The "V" shape of my palette has caused severe overcrowding and has contributed to an overbite. I also have a crossbite with which the orthodontist plans to contend. Lucky him!

On Jan. 18, I'll be receiving upper and lower metal braces. Again, I'm not yet sure which type of braces I'll be receiving; however, my orthodontist described them as having "speed brackets," and being "new" (on the market, or to his office, again, I'm not sure). I do know that my orthodontist does not use Damons, so we can rule those out.

My orthodontic treatment will last approximately two years. Unfortunately, my wedding is in 15 months, thus, my braces will be the one wedding accessory for which I didn't plan. By the time my wedding rolls around, however, I expect to have a whole new smile, and while not perfect, much improved from its current state!

Despite the painful experience of spacers, I'm still very excited about getting braces. I am just counting down the days until I become a "metal mouth"--and a proud one at that.

I'm discovering, too, that telling my coworkers about my decision isn't as painful and awkward as I anticipated. Usually, my news solicits everyone's personal braces stories (and plenty of sympathy for the pain I'm having with these spacers).

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/