Do Ceramic Brackets look bad on Yellowish Teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jade

Do Ceramic Brackets look bad on Yellowish Teeth

#1 Post by Jade »

My teeth aren't very white :( and I'm worried that if I get ceramic brackets it will make them look even yellower. Any thoughts?

kirst1583

#2 Post by kirst1583 »

Personally I don't think they do.
My teeth are not real white and I think the ceramic brackets just blend in nicely.
The only time your teeth would look yellow is from the staining of your ligs or powerchains.

dena

#3 Post by dena »

I agree. I have only had the ceramics on a few days, but that's when they are cleanest, right? my teeth are sorta naturally cream, not bright white. I think they look the same.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

There are several types of "ceramic" brackets. Some are very white or clear-ish, and some are more of a natural tooth color. Your orthodontist can choose ones that won't make your teeth look more yellow. You may also want to check out this page on the main ArchWired site:

http://www.archwired.com/ceramic_vs_metal_braces.htm
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Jade

#5 Post by Jade »

cool!
Thanks for the input guys!
and thanks for this site, it's given me so much good info!
:squareteeth:

I'm still trying to decide whether to get ceramic or metal brackets, I'm going to ask the ortho to tell me what he thinks is better!

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

I have sapphire brackets on the uppers and my teeth aren't very white (I'm in the red wine/coffee/tea camp also). I thought my teeth were looking a little yellow recently, then I got new ligs and they brightened right up.

So, I'm thinking that it's the ligs that might make your teeth look less white, not the brackets themselves. And, there's a lot of stuff on the web site that talks about ligs, lig colors, and how to keep your lig color bright.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Flora2006

#7 Post by Flora2006 »

I have ceramic on top and my teeth are not really white but it looks good...you can't really see them unless you're really really close to me

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

Mine seem to reflec or "continue" the color of my teeth. I have Opals and as most ceramics, they looked incredible on the model teeth and are tooth-colored on my teeth.

Some are more clear and some are more white. Your ortho will know best what to do.

At the end of the day, you should be comfortable with what is on your teeth.

Best wishes to you!!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

calley03

#9 Post by calley03 »

I have ice ceramics on the top front teeth and I really like them. They are more clear than white so it don't make my teeth look strange. I would check with your ortho and see what kind of ceramics they use so you can look at some pictures online.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

BlueeyedManda

#10 Post by BlueeyedManda »

As a huge tea drinker, I can honestly say they look fine on my teeth. I drink tea morning noon and night. Like Lynn said they do use different type of bracket and although I am unsure of my type. I still don't think they look bad.

LaDii_Kiki

#11 Post by LaDii_Kiki »

I recommded you buy " Rembrandt ,Intese Stain " Its a toothpaste that really remove stains. i smoke alot and i brush 3 times a day and floss and also mouthwash. That the best toothpaste . REALLY WHITENS
-> [CrossBite & Crowdinq ] <-
-> [ Estimated : 18 mOs ] <-
-> [ BraceD On : 12.5.05] <-

weird_wired

#12 Post by weird_wired »

Teeth ARE naturally cream/ivory, not brilliant, near blue-white.

Regardless of whether one opts for bleaching treatment or not, the natural colour of a unstained tooth is at best a pale off-white.

butterfly

#13 Post by butterfly »

weird_wired wrote:Teeth ARE naturally cream/ivory
This sounds logical because ivory is (or rather was) an elephant's incisor :P
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner