New with a question about molds

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kell

New with a question about molds

#1 Post by Kell »

Hi, I'm new here. This board is so informative. I was so happy to find it. Anyway, I am a 38 year old mother of 3 and I've never had braces before. My teeth have always been slightly crooked on the bottom and every year they get worse.

At my initial appointment this morning with the orthodontist I had a ton of x-rays and pictures taken and he came up with a plan for my braces. I am scheduled to have them put on next Thursday.

My question is about molds. They did not take a mold today and I was told that next Thursday the braces would be put on. There was no mention of a mold. After reading everything I can it seems like taking a mold is standard. I trust this doctor. He has fixed 3 of my nephew's teeth and others have recommended him as well. I am just wondering if I should call the office tomorrow to inquire about having a mold or if sometimes they aren't done.

My bite is fine but my lower teeth are crowded and some teeth are turned sideways, the top just need a little adjusting and he said I will only need top braces for 6 months and the bottom for about a year. I was wondering if maybe this is so simple that a mold isn't necessary. Any thoughts?
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

dena

#2 Post by dena »

Kelly--my guess is your guess...your treatment time is pretty short, so perhaps there is no need for the mold. Good luck!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

alexa

#3 Post by alexa »

I would think that a mold, even for rather easy cases is still something that is necessary, so the ortho may see what they're working from in 3D.

I'm guessing that you'll have molds done before you get banded next week, and they just didn't mention it.

Of course, I could be wrong! :lol:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Kelly,

I suggest that you call your ortho's office tomorrow and ask them about making an impression/mold of your teeth. I would think they would take one so that they can have something to compare it to. I may be wrong. Every ortho has a way of doing things. But, it doen't hurt to ask.

Good luck with your ortho treatment and keep us posted on your progress.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

luxekitty

#5 Post by luxekitty »

At my initial appointment I talked with my ortho and we agreed upon a price/basic treatment outline then I was sent to get x-rays done.

Once they recieved my x-rays I made an appointment to have my braces put on. On that day they put 4 upper braces and 6 lower and they did my molds.

My last appointment, Monday, they put on my spacers and next Monday I'll recieve my molar bands. Sooo I'm guessing that they don't particuarly need the molds to apply the brackets but to apply other things like molar bands and appliances. This is a sheer guess though. :)
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

I had molds taken and i didn't receive anything but braces...i think that they usually take molds just to prepare the treatment?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

missing_tooth

#7 Post by missing_tooth »

Wouldn't taking molds also be protection on the part of the ortho. My ortho even had someone taking notes of everything said between the two of us during consultation.

mackenzie

#8 Post by mackenzie »

I got my molds the same day as I got braces, so maybe they will do yours then too.

I think they might do it like that because your teeth can move over just a few days if you have spacers in. My teeth got waaay more crowded from spacers, so a mold taken before wouldn't be accurate anymore.

Kell

#9 Post by Kell »

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. I think I am going to start by asking my SIL how the process worked for my nephews. I didn't even think about asking them. Then I may call the office and just talk with them again about what will happen the day I get my braces put on to find out when and if they will make a mold. I just want to be prepared for what will happen so I'm not shocked.

So far this board has been the greatest source of information for me. When I went to my consultation I felt so much more in control because I learned about what to expect and I knew what I wanted going in. At first they really pushed Invisalign but from what I'd learned online that might not fix my twisted cuspid easily. The Dr. looked in my mouth and said the same thing and then recommended ceramic on top and metal on the bottom. That is what I thought might be best and it was nice that said the same thing and didn't try to push Invisalign just because. OK, I've gone off on a tangent. :D
Kelly
See my WWW link below.