Extractions with IV sedation?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

montesser

#16 Post by montesser »

Thanks Dena and SuefromNJ. Your stories were very helpful.

SuefromNJ - sorry to hear that you had to go through all the rough stuff. Nerve damage, sinus openings, and dry sockets are rare to hear about so I guess you are one in 10,000. Ever think about playing the lottery :lol: ?
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

dena

#17 Post by dena »

SueFromNJ--oh my gosh, you are a trooper! What a nightmare! Montesser is right...you should play the lotto and get those weird odds working in your favor for once! Glad that all has passed and you're the better for it now.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

lesdents

#18 Post by lesdents »

I've had three premolars extracted in the last few weeks, and for all three I got only novocaine. I got about three small shots for each one, but on one tooth they used the same anisthetic to first do fillings nearby and then the extraction.

I think it's a great way to go. I felt no pain at all - when he told me they were out I couldn't believe how quick and painless it had been. When it wore off about an hour later it was not painful at all.

I think that for cases other than wisdom teeth, nocovaine (sp?) is fine, inexpensive, and not as traumatic as getting an IV.

lesdents

#19 Post by lesdents »

I've had three premolars extracted in the last few weeks, and for all three I got only novocaine. I got about three small shots for each one, but on one tooth they used the same anisthetic to first do fillings nearby and then the extraction.

I think it's a great way to go. I felt no pain at all - when he told me they were out I couldn't believe how quick and painless it had been. When it wore off about an hour later it was not painful at all.

I think that for cases other than wisdom teeth, nocovaine (sp?) is fine, inexpensive, and not as traumatic as getting an IV.

SueFromNJ

Play the lottery!

#20 Post by SueFromNJ »

dena wrote:SueFromNJ--oh my gosh, you are a trooper! What a nightmare! Montesser is right...you should play the lotto and get those weird odds working in your favor for once! Glad that all has passed and you're the better for it now.
Wow! Thanks to you both for the sympathy! My extractions really were pretty rough - I missed work for a week, and basically had pain and felt horrible for two weeks. It really took three weeks until I was fully functional again! And the nerve damage was scary, as it took six/seven weeks before I started having some feeling in my lower right chin and cheek area again. The surgeon warned me that it could be permanent, and I was really afraid that it would be! :shock:

I have played the lotto/lottery, and always NOTHING! I think I only get "bad" rare odds. I also have a family member born with a super rare form of a very rare syndrome (called Acrocephalopolysyndactyly!) - the odds are astromonical of being born with it! And I am still sure that if I had the IV sedation, something would have gone wrong!!

But since you all mention it, I think I will get a lottery ticket this week! :)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

montesser

#21 Post by montesser »

Ok. I did it. And without IV Sedation. It wasn’t bad at all. They gave me shots in each quadrant. Then he gave me two shots in my upper palate, one on each side. Then one more shot in each quadrant. Then, we were off. They started with my upper left side. All I felt was pressure. I already had brackets and a wire on the front part of my teeth, so the most discomfort I felt was the pressure against my braces. I didn’t even have to open wide like you do when you are getting a dental exam. All I had to do was lie there. So I closed my eyes and he told me everything that he was doing. I did take a while, probably more than a minute before he could get it loose. I think he was being extra careful so it didn’t brake. Finally, I started to think that it would never come out, then he said it was done. 3 more to go. He was surprised that there were two roots. I guess the premolars should have only had one. Then they moved over to the upper right. This one was done by one of the assistants. I got the feeling that it was her first extraction. He talked her through it. I remained calm so she wouldn’t be nervous. It took longer than the first one. Maybe two minutes. Again, just when I thought it would never come out, they said, only two more to go. And it had a two roots as well. The bottom ones were not as bad and didn’t take as long. A little pressure, and then they were out. It did take a while to get the bleeding to stop. It’s been over 3 hours and my every time I change the gauze, there’s plenty of blood on them. It’s not soaked or anything, but it’s obvious that the openings are still bleeding. I wonder if I am putting enough pressure. Should I be worried? I thought I would be able to go home and sleep, but for some reason, I’m too wired. I lay down, but can not make my self sleep. I do still have some pain, but I haven’t taken anything. I got a prescription and if I’m still feeling sore before I go to work in the morning, I’ll get it filled. But, anyway, that’s my story. Another step down. Next for me will be my adjustment. I should be getting back brackets and a new wire. I don’t know if I’ll have to get a spacer in the back or not, but we’ll see. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

dena

#22 Post by dena »

montesser--yea! I'm so glad everything went well! If the bleeding is still going at the same rate, you might take note. I'm sure it's slowed down, though. I kept reading things like 'apply pressure...but not too much' -- that just isn't helpful. I'd honestly say if you have even the slightest concern, go ahead and call them tomorrow morning...it's totally okay to be on the safe side. Mostly I'm just glad that it went alright and that it's over!! Just remember, no straws :) Keep us posted.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months