Sign.. a chicken strip ruined my day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OceanGirl

Sign.. a chicken strip ruined my day

#1 Post by OceanGirl »

I got braced 11 1/2 months ago. Never broke a bracket or a wire.. that is until today. I was happily chewing on a chicken strip when I heard the dreaded SNAP. oh no I thought! Please don't let it be what I think it was! I've heard other snapping noises before but nothing ever broke. I pit out the chicken in my mouth, and there it was.. the bracket. It's from my last tooth on the left hand side. So then I made the call I hoped I'd never have to make. A call to the dentist office to make an appointment to get it put back on. Sigh..
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on
Expander on top, TMJ retainer on bottom

Dec 17 2005
Expander and retainer out
Braces on bottom, bite blocker on top

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!

Debanding will be Sept 2007.. FINALLY

OceanGirl

#2 Post by OceanGirl »

Oppps.. i meant SIGH.. not sign.. silly me
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on

Dec 17 2005

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!

Way Too Old For This

#3 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I would think since you have gone 11 1/2 months with no broken bracket that your ortho will not be too upset. Its obvious you are being pretty careful. They probably won't even say anything.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

BlueeyedManda

#4 Post by BlueeyedManda »

Were they chicken strips from wendy's? Those look real crunchy and I have been too scared to try them. When I just had uppers I was a little more couragous but I am much more careful with lowers on. I am not sure why, I bet one I get used to them I will broaden my horizons.

OceanGirl

#5 Post by OceanGirl »

Thanks everyone! I really don't feel bad about, just a bit bummed. I was hoping to go through my whole treatment without breaking anything. (I have about another 6 months) Actually my dentist is usually quite surprised when I go in every month that I hadn't broken anything.

I the chicken strip was one that I bought from a box and cooked myself at home. It was actually much softer then a lot of things I've eaten. I had a big feed of nachos last week without any problems! I think I might have had too much in my mouth at once and thats how it broke. OH WELL. It could be worse. It's only a bracket.. not the end of the world.
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on

Dec 17 2005

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

very true...it is just a bracket...could have been worse ;) After reading your post i've become really scared to either break a bracket while eating or brushing my teeth...i hate being this paranoid lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

bethne3

#7 Post by bethne3 »

Awe, don't let one broken bracket ruin your day. =)

I've had 4, yes 4, brackets come off and I've only been braces for a month and a half!!!!!
4 Wisdoms Removed 11/14/05
Upper Teeth Braced/Expander 11/22/05
Lower Teeth Braced/Expander 11/28/05

nick_uk

#8 Post by nick_uk »

I've had 2 break on the same day before.

I went and got the first one sorted, then another broke a few hours after, grr..

Thankfully they were the only ones that I've broken, the ortho blamed a dodgy batch - could be a good excuse for other people to try!
Click here to make an annoying clicky noise

Medical Student, Braced since December 2004

drazda

#9 Post by drazda »

I knocked out two molar brackets within three weeks of getting my braces. Nothing else has come off after that.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

DizzyKitty

broken brackets

#10 Post by DizzyKitty »

I had one pop a few days into it but it was because the tooth was too far back and shouldn't have been attached yet to wire.

I just broke one off 2 days ago on the bottom back molar while eating. I am due for an adjustment in 2 weeks so they said I could wait to have it fixed if the wire isn't bothering me or I could clip it but it's flush with the tooth so it's fine for now.

My question is, should I take the bracket with me or will they use a new one? My husband said because of sanitary issues, they would most likely use a new one?
- Dizzy

drazda

#11 Post by drazda »

My ortho wanted the molar brackets back. They will clean them and put them on someone else. They couldn't put the same ones back on me cause of all the glue on the back, and it takes quite a while to clean them. If I pay $3,500 for something, I would like to think that's it's at least new... but I know it's not.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Marzipan

#12 Post by Marzipan »

How I wish I could eat some nachos. I love crunchy food. I'm trying to be very careful and not eat anything like that. Or if I do, I eat it very very carefully.

OceanGirl

Re: broken brackets

#13 Post by OceanGirl »

DizzyKitty wrote:I
My question is, should I take the bracket with me or will they use a new one? My husband said because of sanitary issues, they would most likely use a new one?
I took my old bracket with me, but when I go there the assistant said it was no good so I threw it in the garbage. Different dentists might do things differently.
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on

Dec 17 2005

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!