Tops off at different time than bottom?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

objectinspace

Tops off at different time than bottom?

#1 Post by objectinspace »

I've had my tops on for 4 months now and my teeth are improving greatly. Next adjustment there should be enough space for my bottoms to go on. I can handle one set of braces but I'm not really looking forward to two. I asked the ortho since my tops were looking pretty good and the crowding was less severe than the bottoms if they would come off earlier. He said "no, not usually." I couldn't get a good explanation either, why is this? Right now the prospect of 20 more months with both sets of braces on is really depressing me. I'm pretty sure my tops will be perfect in 12 months so why do I need to leave them on longer.

Kell

#2 Post by Kell »

I don't have my braces on yet but my Dr. told me that I should only have to wear the top braces for 6 months and the bottom for about a year. I don't know any more than what he told me though.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

alexa

#3 Post by alexa »

It may be that you have bite issues which you will need to wear elastics to correct. For elastics, you need to have bottom and top braces at the same time, so as to have places to anchor the elastics to.

Bite is something that almost everyone has to get fixed, and they just can't do it without both arches wired...no matter how much that annoys us patients! :wink:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom