Spacers in yesterday

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Spacers in yesterday

#1 Post by genxsis »

I've finally begun the process....the 8 spacers were put in yesterday at about 2:20pm. The pain didn't begin until about 5am the next morning, and it only hurts when I bite down.

The real problem was when the assistant was putting them in. She used a metal device that looked like pliers that spread the spacer apart, and she pushed real hard to get it in between the teeth. Well, about 3 or 4 times, the spacer band snapped and I ended up getting smacked in the teeth with that metal thing. The first time, I thought she had chipped one of my teeth. The second time was really annoying in that it happened again, and the 3rd time made me want to smack HER in the teeth with a metal object. By the 4th time, I wanted to just get up and leave!

So that's my experience so far. No pain unless biting down (this morning's breakfast of oatmeal wasn't much fun, so tonight's supper will be a blender drink), and it's been about 24 hours so far.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

i'm happy your treatment finally begun and that you don't seem to experience too much pain with the spacers. i've never had them so i don't really know how they feel but i've heard so much negative stuff about them and that they hurt a lot...so i'm glad that you seem to be managing them pretty well.

when are your braces suppose to come on?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

Flora2006:

I'm scheduled to get the molar bands next Tuesday, and the braces themselves will be going in on Jan. 31st.

I feel like my mouth is "not my own anymore", you know what I mean?

missing_tooth

#4 Post by missing_tooth »

I'm guessing it varies from person to person. I got my spacers in yesterday as well. Pain? What pain? A bit annoying. Only slighlty tender if I bit down all the way. No metal tool used. just floss and the spacers and about 10 minutes of time. Walk in the park.

- Missing Tooth -

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

genxsis - i definitely know what you mean...i feel the same way. i feel like my top teeth are not mine anymore...they seem and feel so different

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

Thank you everyone! I thought the pain was going to start getting worse, but so far it hasn't. It does hurt if I bite all the way down, and it's hard not to when chewing. So far I've only had oatmeal, yogurt and a blender drink consisting of spinach, beans, a raw egg, and apple juice. Not the best tasting, but VERY nutritious!

luxekitty

#7 Post by luxekitty »

I got my spacers in Monday, pain began late in the evening and has subsided just yesterday. I still can't bite anything hard..but the aching is gone when I'm not chewing. They're coming out monday. *thank goodness*
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michal

#8 Post by Michal »

I'm right there with you! I got my spacers yesterday. I saw those things and said "Where are those things supposed to be going?". It really wasn't that bad. The tech used floss to put them in and we only had a problem with one. I also woke up this morning about 4 am with a throbbing headache and believe it or not a little nausia.

Good luck! I'm getting my braces Friday.

Michal

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

ssfw

#9 Post by ssfw »

Hi genxsis,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience with getting the spacers placed - I was a bit horrified. Is it worth mentioning to your orthodontist because as you said it could have chipped some/few of your teeth. To top off that experience, you are not having an easy time with the spacers. I think you mentioned in a previous post that you will get them removed in a week, right? What happens after that?

Good luck and hope you are feeling better.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08