Jaw spasms

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeyBartender

Jaw spasms

#1 Post by HeyBartender »

Is it normal to experience random jaw spasms? Seems to happen more often right after an adjustment, but I find myself randomly biting my tongue a lot more, or my teeth just randomly grinding together quickly. It hurts!

Recap: Have had upper and lower ceramics since 9/05. Have a palatal expander which (thank goodness) doesn't have to be expanded any more. Currently have an archwire trying to close the gap left by an extraction.

elissasmilz

#2 Post by elissasmilz »

I've never have that happen before today. But I have been having strange spasms since I had my adjustment this morning

nvcarissa

#3 Post by nvcarissa »

A couple of months ago I got strange spasms in the middle of the night. They would literally wake me up. They finally went away...but boy ... wierd.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Avarik

#4 Post by Avarik »

I'v been getting them for a few weeks now, mostly right after an adjustment. I hope its normal...

Lyn

#5 Post by Lyn »

YES !! I've had them too......and some type of "clicking" when I chew in my jaw............What's that???? :?:

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

Sometimes, pretty lately, I feel like my bite is totally out of whack! Its really weird! :? Sometimes I feel myself grinding when I bite down or smile! :shock: Its really annoying and I'm not sure why it happens! :(

lyn: I also hear a clicking when I bite down sometimes but I can't explain it. :roll:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

Shawnie

#7 Post by Shawnie »

Yes, I had that too. Right after my second adjustment, in the middle of the night my jaw snapped shut so hard that it woke me up and I thought I chipped a tooth. So I ran to the mirror in panic, but was so glad to see that nothing had chipped. It also happened a few times durring the day, but has since stopped. I'm almost due for my second adjustment and I hope it doesn't start happening again.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06