Monday...Braces!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aims

Monday...Braces!

#1 Post by aims »

I'm new here, and I registered because I've found all of the information you all have provided has been especially helpful with all my questions. :) Anyway, Monday at 10:00 I go to get braces...after long awaiting it. Needless to say, I can't wait!

I've had spacers since Tuesday evening. People say that the spacers are the worst part of the orthodontic treatment, and I sure hope so, because this week has been awful for me, and I can't wait to get it behind me.

I've had many questions bubbling inside me for this week, so I guess I'll release them now, hoping you kind folks can help me. :)

Okay, first off. The spacers. She never did specify my limits on what I can and can't do with them, just to avoid anything sticky. I'm wondering that things like brushing hard can make them come out. Then, also concerning the spacers, I have 4 on top and 4 on bottom, does this mean that she's planning on putting both top and bottom braces on at once?

Lastly, what kind of preparations can I make? And does pink & orange seem too "festive" and colorful for my first time? (I saw it in the lig color thread and thought it was lovely.)

Sorry to be so curious!
January 16th, 2006- Tops And Bottoms

Destor

#2 Post by Destor »

Awesome aims, you sound pretty excited, and a pre-brackets-congrats for taking the plunge!

I'd have to agree that spacers were the worst part, for me anyways by far, braces are a breeze in comparison. As long as none of your spacers broke or fell out you're good to go, I never had a problem with brushing but on the first day eating some chicken SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM right after the spacers went in, one snapped from chewing.

If you had spacers put in on both top and bottom then yup you'll be getting both braced, unless they feel the need to give either more time for the spacers to widen the gaps.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

adollface

#3 Post by adollface »

Well, I didn't have spacers so I can't help you there but as far as preperations go I would have to say to take some Tylenol or Motrin before your appointment. Good luck on Monday!

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi aims,

Sorry you're having a difficult time with the spacers. Remind yourself in 2 days they will be removed.

I agree with Destor's post on the care of your spacers in addition to don't floss in the spaces with the spacers. I was told not to eat anything sticky or hard. I just ate various foods until I found something gave me discomfort then I stopped eating it. On days 3 and 4 of my spacers, I found I ached a bit when chewing, otherwise I had no problems, in fact, sometimes I had to look to be sure the spacers were still in there. My orthodontist said this was very unusual because the spacers are suppose to be the most uncomfortable part of ortho treatment. I wonder if it depends on how gentle the person is when placing the spacers?

Your lig color choices sound great! I feel if the colors make you happy, then go for it because it will make your ortho treatment alot more fun. I think quite often, adults are a bit more conservative when wearing braces where in reality they really want to wear multi-colored ligs - I know if other adults saw your ligs, they would probably envy you.

I hope you feel better and good luck with your ortho treatment. Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

jrbecca

Congratulations!

#5 Post by jrbecca »

I can empathize with your spacer complaints! They are awful, but you only have one more day to endure the discomfort and then...braces!

It sounds like you're excited about getting braces, and you should be! This is a wonderful decision you've made. What kind of braces will you get? Ceramic? Metal?

I think that your lig color choices are fantastic. They sound very Spring-like! Go for it!

Welcome to the club, girl! :D

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

aims

#6 Post by aims »

jrbecca wrote: What kind of braces will you get? Ceramic? Metal?
I'm planning on metal, because theyre supposed to be faster, and cheaper, and I don't have a problem with the metal showing so much..hah.

aims

#7 Post by aims »

Here it is..I was going with the pink/orange, but I saw the blue and green and loved it. Right now, it just feels kinda poky and funny, but besides that, no pain.

jrbecca

#8 Post by jrbecca »

You look so fantastic, aims! Congratulations! :jump:

Besides feeling the braces feeling "funny and pokey," how are you doing? Any problems with talking? Any pain? Did your orthodontist give you a goody bag? I love your lig choices! Great color combination.

You're an inspiration to all of us braced-to-be members! :-**

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

hannah164

#9 Post by hannah164 »

Congratulations AIMs on becoming braced! :thumbsup: :dance: :-#) :banana:

Glad to hear you don't have any pain yet! :pinkbraces: Hope it stays that way! :wink:

Love your lig choice! THat looks very nice! :BigGrin:

Good luck! Keep us posted! :computer:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

aims

#10 Post by aims »

jrbecca wrote:You look so fantastic, aims! Congratulations! :jump:

Besides feeling the braces feeling "funny and pokey," how are you doing? Any problems with talking? Any pain? Did your orthodontist give you a goody bag? I love your lig choices! Great color combination.

You're an inspiration to all of us braced-to-be members! :-**
Hmm..nope, It was kind of sore, then I took the pain medicine my ortho prescribed and didn't have any trouble after that. Yes, she gave me a bag full of wax, floss threaders, and orthodontic toothbrush, and a prescription for some kind of anti-cavity toothpaste. I'm not seeing much difference in talking, it's just a little funny actually trying to where I'm not used to the way the braces rub when I talk.

Thanks! I thought my colors were really bright, but I got a lot of complients!

KK, thanks, I'll be sure to do that! :)