Do I have to get...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sydsmom

Do I have to get...?

#1 Post by sydsmom »

Hello all! I'm new here, have been lurking for some time and really enjoy how helpful and informative everyone is.

I'm scheduled to get braces next week....I just had two bicuspids extracted, which turned out to be a breeze (phew!), and really want to get started with braces as soon as possible (since I'm over 30 and have been waiting forever as it is ;-)

I still haven't had an actual check-up to see whether I need any fillings. Is this absolutely necessary before getting the braces placed, or can I just do it afterwards? I fear this will take a couple more months (especially if they find a cavity or two) because my dental center is a really busy one, and delay my treatment even further.

Did anyone else out there get braces without ruling out cavities first?

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Usually you are supposed to be getting braces after a cleaning, check for cavities and all other stuff...my orthodontist asked me right away if i had any fillings to get...

The easiest way to find out is to ask your ortho :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

dena

#3 Post by dena »

I actually had to have a cleaning and check-up before my ortho would even see me for consultation! Definitely as your ortho...he may want you to because you want your teeth to be clean before they cement the brackets.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

sydsmom

#4 Post by sydsmom »

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses!!

My ortho said my teeth looked fine (no evidence of plaque) and he didn't seem to think the cleaning was urgent. The front desk receptionist scheduled the appointment to have the brackets placed and I'm not sure she was aware everything hadn't been checked out yet....

Hmmm....I guess I'm going to have to make a phone call on Tuesday and probably delay getting those brackets on ::sniffle!:: And I was so hoping to get this process started already :-(

jenns91civic

#5 Post by jenns91civic »

My ortho didn't ask me to get a cleaning or dental checkup before getting my braces on. A lot do but a lot don't so just go with what your ortho suggests.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

nvcarissa

#6 Post by nvcarissa »

My ortho required that I have had my teeth cleaned within six months of putting my braces on. Since then I have had two more dental visits.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.