The Braced Idiot of the Year Awards!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kittysopretty

The Braced Idiot of the Year Awards!

#1 Post by Kittysopretty »

Ok, post something REALLY dumb you did with braces. One of those "what was I thinking!?!?!" moments. Mine is as follows and has inspired this post:

Yesterday as I was on my way shopping, I stopped at a road-side produce stand and bought these fabulous strawberries. Yep, bit into one in the car. Now mind you, I didn't pop it into my mouth, it was huge...I bit directly into it with my front teeth and my clear braces.

OMG!! Pink/red braces and seeds wedged into places so obvious.....ugh!! I had to pick seeds out with a safety pin! They actually got BEHIND my clear ligs.

I never do things like that, I NEVER bite into anything....but my kids were extremely amused!!

Lyn

#2 Post by Lyn »

Kitty - sorry for your strawberry disaster. I bought myself a dentapik at Walmart that attaches to my keychain. It is a nice "hooked pik" that can be used for those instances.....very helped to pick out those stubborn food particles. :-#)

Here's my story: I'm mad at myself, as the other day I ate a hamburger in the car (I was starving!!) and when I got home forgot about checking and cleaning my teeth. I went outside (because it was so nice out) and cleaned out my car and talked to a neighbor. When I came in later, I happened to sneak a peek at myself in the mirror and saw a "HUGE" piece of lettuce wedged up in my top bracket! I was so embarrassed. My neighbor must have thought I'm a goof for not keeping my mouth clean!! ha ha ha :lol:

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

BlueeyedManda

#3 Post by BlueeyedManda »

Sounds similar to what I did the first weekend I had my clear brackets. My friend and I went to IKEA and they have the Swedish Marketplace, well I bought these chocolate covered Marshmallow puffs....bit right into them....*shudders thinking of the horror* I am still trying to forget the day I did that...Never again. I even eat cupcakes with a fork now.

Kittysopretty

#4 Post by Kittysopretty »

LOL! I often wonder if people in the mall food court think I am INSANE for the things I eat with a fork!!

LexiBaby

#5 Post by LexiBaby »

Poor Kitty,

I sympathize sooo much. My dental kit for my desk ran out of mouthwash recently. My husband (never braced with naturally perfect teeth (hate him!! :twisted:) decides to help by replacing it with CINNAMON SCOPE!!!
That stuff stains everything clear or lightly colored. Big dummy me, checked the grin following brushing at work. Who would think to check after rinsing with a little mouthwash? Well, I now know who my friends at work are!! Most of my co-workers just stared in my mouth like I was a leper or something!

One person and one person only came and asked me if MY TEETH WERE BLEEDING????
31 yr old married female
Metal top and bottom 4/6/2005
Bluegrass Appliance & Power Chain

TheSilverSmileChileno

#6 Post by TheSilverSmileChileno »

ha ha very funny stories you guys

i remember being in a party. i found this rare liquor somewhere, i gave it a try and it was good. soon after i was drinking this kinda blue liquor, when my best friend told me, hey you got all your braces blue. i was like, what?

so i ran out to the bathroom and saw all my teeth and braces blue, i tried to clean them with water and no luck, and for my good luck i found a new brush :D under the sink.

that taught me to never drink again :-88

Yury
Spacers-7-27-05
Full Braces on-8-15-05
I luv my braces...

Pixie

#7 Post by Pixie »

I was bored in class and gnawing on a pen cap absentmindedly, and then pushed the end of the pen against a bracket on this one tooth that sticks out a little bit more than the rest. I slipped. Yeah, broken bracket and a bloody lip from smacking my hand into my mouth.

flowertowngal

One more idiot...

#8 Post by flowertowngal »

Count me among the idiots - while pulling a sweater over my head one day, I forgot to make sure my mouth was closed - ever catch something on a bracket while pulling down hard? Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me - you'll never do it again!

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

Popping one of those hard candies with the gooey centers in my mouth.
Totally forgot about it until the gooey part emerged.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

usa1

#10 Post by usa1 »

Didnt happen to me but I have to tell it anyway. A girl I work with told me this 2 days after I got my braces. She had her braces on and was home with her 2 year old. They were playing on the floor fliping over and rolling around. After one of the flips she ended up face down in the shag carpet with her mouth open. As she tried to get up she realized she was stuck. The more she pulled the worse and tighter it got. She ended up only able to move about 1/4 inch and couldnt move. She had to wait 1 1/2 hours for her husband to come home and cut het out. Then a trip to the ortho the next day to get all the carpet out of the ligs and brackets. Had to sleep that night with a mouth full of shag rug!!
Braces July 26 2005
Treatment time 24 months
Damon 3's top Damon 2's bottom

susieq182

#11 Post by susieq182 »

good to know i am not the only newbie with issues. My funny story I am sure has happened to everyone atleast once or if not I will feel like a total dork. I am adicted to flossing and love the neat little threaders. as much of a pain as it is to floss i do it once or twice a day. the down side to flossing more is being more prone to flossing disasters.

THe other day i was flossing away threading in and out like a pro not really paying to close of attention. (I have only had my braces about 8 weeks now so I should really pay better attention to what i am doing!) I have a lingual wire that holds a fixed bite plate and my archwires as usual imagine my suprise when i found that i had some how managed to tie my 2 wires together with the floss!!!! and not near the front of my mouth either I had to have my dad cut the floss because i couldnt get at it. :oops: I am just glad he was home or i would have been stuck that way! or had to run by the ortho
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

hannah164

#12 Post by hannah164 »

usa1 wrote:Didnt happen to me but I have to tell it anyway. A girl I work with told me this 2 days after I got my braces. She had her braces on and was home with her 2 year old. They were playing on the floor fliping over and rolling around. After one of the flips she ended up face down in the shag carpet with her mouth open. As she tried to get up she realized she was stuck. The more she pulled the worse and tighter it got. She ended up only able to move about 1/4 inch and couldnt move. She had to wait 1 1/2 hours for her husband to come home and cut het out. Then a trip to the ortho the next day to get all the carpet out of the ligs and brackets. Had to sleep that night with a mouth full of shag rug!!
Wow! That sounds horrible! :shock: That must have been so embarrassing! :oops:

One time my sister was trying to climb on top of me and I tried to push her away with my foot and my sock got caught on one of her brackets! :shock: It was pretty funny!

Or I remember another time when I was flossing and it got caught around one of bracket hooks and I had to try to cut it out with nail clippers! :shock: I thought I'd gotten all of it until I went to my next adjustment! Then the assistant was taking off my powerchain and she found "a floss." It was so embarrasing! :oops: I wanted to tell her how hard it is to floss with powerhchains and big hooks but I didn't! :roll:

I've also had those normal instances where I've been eating and afterwards I've been smiling and talking to people and I find hecka food in my teeth later! :oops:

Thanks for sharing all of these stories! Pretty interesting!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

EdgeofFreedom

#13 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

Oh My GOD!

I'm getting braced sometime in the next two months, but I didn't know it could cause such problems! What else should one never do/eat/forget while in braces???
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine

bbsadmin

#14 Post by bbsadmin »

These stories are so funny and amazing! More, more!

I'm thinking of putting them on a new page on the main website!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

mackenzie

#15 Post by mackenzie »

:oops: Well I wasn't going to post because I feel pretty dumb, so here it goes:

I'm at the mall right after x-mas so it's really crowded and the fitting room line is about 20 people. I find a cute sweater and decide to try it on over my shirt in the middle of the store where there's a mirror. It didn't fit right so I took it off but it got snagged on one of my brackets! I had no idea what to do but my best guy friend realized what happened really fast and got it out for me quickly. I'm not sure if anyone around us noticed. :lol: It could have been so much worse if the sweater wouldn't come out so I consider myself lucky. Of course Brandon (ex-bf, current best friend) will never let me live that down!