January Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jrbecca

#16 Post by jrbecca »

NotBob1 wrote:I'm sure this is a dumb question....but what does FSA stand for?
That's not a dumb question at all. :wink: 'FSA' stands for Flexible Spending Account. You can choose to have a certain amount of money taken out of each paycheck before taxes and placed into a seperate account. You can then use that money to pay for medical procedures not covered by your insurance, such as orthodontic treatment.

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

missing_tooth

#17 Post by missing_tooth »

Whoa!!! your sure the FSA covers braces? Arn't braced considered cosmetic and not medical?

- Missing Tooth -

NotBob1

#18 Post by NotBob1 »

Thanks, jrBecca.
I am self employed, so that probably explains why I am not familiar with that. I think I remember my wife, who is employed by a large company, mentioning that option.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

ssfw

#19 Post by ssfw »

Hi Anticipator,

We both began our orthodontic treatment on the same day. I'm still in the process of getting my upper expander - will be getting it on 1/20/06 - the prior appts. were for the spacers, impression and measurement for bands. I know you already have your braces and I hope you have had an easy time with them. Keep us posted.

Just some additional info about the FSA, since we were exchanging info. a few weeks ago - I'm not sure if this pertains to your plan, but at where I work this new policy was implemented:

My company added a grace period to the 2005 plan year so that eligible expenses incurred through March 15, 2006 may be reimbursed from any balance remaining in the 2005 year account. Claims must be filed by June 15, 2006.

This was approved by the IRS and it is up to each company/workplace if they want to add this benefit to their FSA users. I wasn't sure if this pertained to your FSA plan, but wanted to let you know in case you do have some money that needs to be used up. You should ask your company/FSA plan if they have implemented a similar policy. I do know some companies have different deadline dates and I think all companies have the option of whether do/don't implement the new grace period/extension.

Take care.

ssfw

That's true, but also, I'd imagine December would be busy for the opposite reason... a lot of people trying to use up their remaining FSA accounts for the previous year.

Or maybe I'm the only procrastinator out there. :P
Last edited by ssfw on Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Kell

#20 Post by Kell »

aims wrote:January 16th..tomorrow!
Good luck today aims!
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

gemini

#21 Post by gemini »

Today!!

Jan. 16th here! =)

zzblonde

#22 Post by zzblonde »

Wednesday January 18th.

krennen

#23 Post by krennen »

Mine went on Jan 12 and I hope it gets better. Right now 30 months seems like a long time.

missing_tooth

#24 Post by missing_tooth »

Less than 3 days, time is closing in fast, Yikes!

Aurelia

#25 Post by Aurelia »

Hi all, its been a while since I posted, what with Christmas and I started a new job on the 3rd Jan.

Well, i am getting my braces next Wednesday (25th) and i am totally panicking and i keep having horrid dreams where my teeth are falling out!! I think for me what i am worried about the most is the actual going there and sitting in the chair and getting these things put on, i dont know anyone who has had braces so if anyone here can give me some advice I would be so grateful. I really dont know what to expect and all sorts of things are running round my head and as you prob can tell I am not a lover of sitting in the dentist chair at all....oh dear I keep thinking what am i doing!!!!!

Anyways, good luck to everyone else, your so brave :D
All good things come to those that wait

Bianca

#26 Post by Bianca »

It's been five days since I got my braces on...

Aside from speaking and eating everything is great! :)

Actually I am very very excited about this, and I am looking forward to seeing the progress my teeth make!

It's a two year process.......

missing_tooth

#27 Post by missing_tooth »

I really dont know what to expect and all sorts of things are running round my head and as you prob can tell
I think thats all of us. I know I've been having some wierd dreams. I also find that when I lay down to sleep at night is when I most question what I'm doing.

Relax, were here for you.

- Missing Tooth -

Jesslzz 01

#28 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

I'm definetely in the January club. B-day was the 9 for me, top metal braces only, lowers are coming next month. New year, new smile... :D

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

IndyBraceFace

#29 Post by IndyBraceFace »

January 10 here!

sydsmom

#30 Post by sydsmom »

zzblonde, you and I have the same braced date!

Got mine done this morning...the actual process was really no big deal, but I find them to be somewhat pokey in my mouth and I can't figure out how to get my top lip over my teeth anymore :-(

I totally feel movement already, though :-) My teeth are already loose all over, and I already have a teeny crack between my two bottom teeth.

Hope yours went well, too!!!