Ur experiences with staining

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

the_bufster84

Ur experiences with staining

#1 Post by the_bufster84 »

Hey guys,

Iv heard of curry staining white/pale ligs but i was wondering if anyone had a list of other foods that stain them so i know what to avoid

thanks alot

Upper Ceramics

kirst1583

#2 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi there,
For me the main thing I notice that stains are oranges. Of course that doesn't stop me from eating them though. I never worry about staining. I have ceramic brackets with clear powerchains... I figure whilst not an attractive look when they do stain, it's not as though people can't tell it's just your braces and not your teeth.
I can't think of any other "problem" foods at the moment but will write again if some come to mind!

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

Red wine
Tomato sauce/soup
Strong tea
Coffee
Mustard
Turmeric
Saffron
Ribena/dark currant juices
Soy sauce

BlueeyedManda

#4 Post by BlueeyedManda »

Wow, now I would have never though of oranges staining, thanks for the hint. I am a big Iced Tea drinker, and I have learned to use a straw even with my snapple bottles. I don't have too many staining problems but I have been using the Arm and Hammer Proxy Care toothpaste someone had recommended on here months back. Just a few days ago I saw someone say that they liked one of Colegates new toothpastes and I am going to pick some of that up.
I do know pizza sauce is big one...so I sometimes do white pizza and that solves that. I also use alfredo sauce with pasta more than tomato sauce. I guess I wouldn't be a big helper in this department...I have wheat allergies so I don't eat this stuff alot.

Betty Bat

Tea vs. coffee

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

Does anyone know if tea stains the ligs worse than coffee? When I first got my braces, there was a lot of talk about coffee staining, but not as much about tea. I know that tea stains my kitchen counter worse than the coffee (don't ask), but does it have the same effect on the ligs? Is green tea different than the black?

Entropy

#6 Post by Entropy »

I drink a lot of coffee and my powerchain and ligs get yellow especially when I drink it black.
My wife suggested that I rinse my teeth with hydrogen peroxide. I know that it's a bleaching agent so it just might work but I'm wondering about the mouth of foam or damage.
Has anyone else tried it?

weird_wired

#7 Post by weird_wired »

I shouldn't rinse your teeth with anything unless it is being marketed as a dental product. Peroxide (in different forms) is often the active ingredient in dental whitening products, but in specially measured dilutions.

Some people have reported that whitening toothpastes help improve stained ligs a little.

But at the end of the day: you are a big coffee drinker, they are going to stain unless you use a straw. I would recommend you go for coloured ligs if they are getting really bright yellow, since strongly yellow ligs are not "invisble" so there's no real advantage to you having clear.

Then you can swill the roasted beans down to your heart's content!

fins

#8 Post by fins »

I know mustard will stain clear powerchains immediately. :( It does not brighten up, even with brushing.
fins

gypsydoodlebug

#9 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

I got my clear braces on last Thursday and I can already see a hint of stain on my ligs (I'm obsessed with keeping them brushed IMMEDIATELY after eating).

I've noticed canned chili and spaghetti/ Spaghetti O's are contributing to my staining. But they're the few things I can eat, so I guess I'll have to live with the stain or live with the pain (of eating)!!
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

i've had clear ligs and they haven't stained yet at all. But i will NEVER get clear ligs again just because i am paranoid with getting them stained so i don't eat/drink anything that could possibly stain them...i also drink water ALL the time...I haven't even drank coffee yet and coffee is my best friend...lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Kittysopretty

#11 Post by Kittysopretty »

Ahhh, this is why I went to wire ties. Here is the worst offender list, ( I had clear ligs for 5 weeks):

Anything yellow!!!! (cheese dip from TGI Fridays was AWFUL!....as was a grilled cheese sandwich I had made with orange cheese. I make this Rice-a-Roni Broccoli Cheese Rice a lot for dinner....that was BAD!!)

Chocolate

Orange Juice

*Coffee wasn't too bad, I noticed. I also brushed right after a spaghetti dinner with Ragu and was fine (I was SHOCKED)

I never dared mustard or red wine with clear ligs but did chomp down bing cherries with no problem.

privatepilot

#12 Post by privatepilot »

MUSTARD! MUSTARD! MUSTARD!

I had a recent weekend binge of Hebrew National Hotdogs covered with mustard and it stained my power chains and ligs. I ate mustard on other things before and never had a stain. This time I have big yellow power chain/lig stains that make me look like my teeth are yellow. I wouldn't use peroxide as mentioned above as I heard it loosens the adhesive used to put the brackets on.
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

fins

#13 Post by fins »

KIttysopretty- The wire ties are great but unfortunately, I don't know what can be done about powerchains and staining. I guess maybe smoke colored might help. At least they change to powerchains each visit.
fins

gypsydoodlebug

#14 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

Kittysopretty wrote:Ahhh, this is why I went to wire ties.
I thought of you when I stopped by the ortho to get some paperwork signed...I mentioned my ligs had already stained BAD after only a week. They pulled me back to the back and put on wire times, which I really like, and put two silver ligs on on a whim to let me try until my REAL appt. on the 31st. I really like the silver ligs! But I'm really comfortable with the wire ties -- I feel comfortable eating my Chef Boyardee again!
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.