how often do you get your wire changed???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

betharoo

how often do you get your wire changed???

#1 Post by betharoo »

i've had my braces almost 5 months and i'm still going on the same archwire...is that noram....i go back to day inlike 45 min to get them tightnend i guess i'll see what happends! well, how often do you get new archwires? :lol:

Avarik

#2 Post by Avarik »

I had my wires changed at the first adjustments after I got braces on. Since, then (3 appts now?) I've had the same wires on the top and bottom.

So, I guess it just matters where you are in the procedure, and how everything is going.

swan

#3 Post by swan »

I got my second wires at my third adjustment after about 4 months. I have lost track how many wires I've had (You can track it if you go through my blos - see my www link), but it's always a few months until one or both wires are changed.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

betharoo

#4 Post by betharoo »

well they just put a new wire on bottom and kept the same one on top but my teeth hurt like @$#%@$#^ lol...i gues that could explain it!

hannah164

#5 Post by hannah164 »

I almost think my ortho is lazy and doesn't want to change wires unless its absolutely necessary! :shock: :( I really haven't gotten that many new wires! :? I probably have only gotten 3-4 maybe 5 different wires on top in 21 months! ANd on the bottom I've only gotten 1 for the past almost 3 months! :roll:

Hopefully I'll get a new wire on Saturday at my next adjustment! :wink:

Good luck! Hope your teeth feel better! :pinkbraces:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

They only change the wire (type and size) if they need to do something different.

Don't worry, its still working, manipulating your teeth.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Tara971

#7 Post by Tara971 »

I've had mine changed twice in the past year and 3 months, and i'm now in my "last wire" which is what i'll have until my debanding, and I've had this for about 7 months now.

fins

#8 Post by fins »

KK-
I just had a wire change and it hurt quite a bit for at least a week which is a pretty long time. Actually, one side kept hurting for a while, enough to make me think maybe something was wrong but it stopped eventually. Nothing you can't live through though. As long as you know it WILL stop hurting. I haven't been able to figure out what the wire is doing though. I can't see anything happening. :?
fins

cookie

#9 Post by cookie »

I've had 4 wires both top and bottom now (they've both got 18x25s just now)

My top arch got a new wire at each adjustment utnil April last year - have had the same wire on top since then, my bottoms were a bit slower - I didn't get a new wire until my second adjustment.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

nick_uk

#10 Post by nick_uk »

Got a new one about every 2months, on the last one now.
Click here to make an annoying clicky noise

Medical Student, Braced since December 2004

Snow

#11 Post by Snow »

In the past 5 months and 3 weeks, I only had one different wire on top, and the bottom wire stays the same the whole time. But yesterday I went for my fourth adjustment and most of my teeth have power chains instead of ligatures on them.
Spacers in: 7/20/2005
Braces on: 7/27/2005
Clear braces both top and bottom
Treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces off: 7/26/2007