Impressions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missing_tooth

Impressions

#1 Post by missing_tooth »

Any recommendations for getting impressions? I know they will be taken. I gag really really really badly. I had the most difficult time once getting an impression for a crown on one of my teeth. I can hardly imagine a full set. I did read that that cough spray works as it numbs the back of your mouth? Anyone ever heard / tried this? What do they do if they can't get an impression from you?

I can't be the orthos worst case of gagging I would think. I know the only way I got through it last time was to lift a foot in the air and move it in a circle, listen to music, breath through my nose while leaning forward drooling into a cup. lol can you imagine.

Strangely enough I once took a dental assistance class once and gave myself impressions for class. Sometimes we did it just for kicks when we were bored. I never did gagged on the old pasty stuff you mixed up. Wierd.

bethne3

#2 Post by bethne3 »

I actually had 2 sets of impressions taken today. This is about my 6th time getting them done (long story).
Anyhoo, I have a problem with gagging also but I've found that taking deep breaths in and out through my nose really helps. Try focusing on other things, maybe something fun like where would I like to go on vacation. Anything to preoccupy your mind. Think about how relieved you will feel once it's all done and over.

Bethany
4 Wisdoms Removed 11/14/05
Upper Teeth Braced/Expander 11/22/05
Lower Teeth Braced/Expander 11/28/05

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi missing_tooth,

I don't have any problems with getting the impressions made but Bethany's post had some great suggestions. I also wanted to add to be sure to tell your orthodontist/assistant (the person that will be taking the impression) about your concerns. S/he may be able to make it easier for you. You may want to bring in your ipod/SPAM, if listening to music might help you get through this. I always find thinking about something that makes you happy always helps me when I get into difficult situations.

You probably didn't have any problems when you were taking your class because you were giving yourself the impression - I'm sure it's a bit different when somebody else places the mold appliance in your mouth.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

jrbecca

#4 Post by jrbecca »

Great thread, missing_tooth! As you can see, there are other people on the message boards with the same problem. As Bethany pointed out, breathing through your nose can help; however, even this is a tough call. Breathing through your mouth can actually make the gel dry/harden faster, thus shortening the time you have to endure impression-taking.

Also, I would strongly suggest that you sit up when having impressions made. I don't normally gag during impressions, but did the last go around because the orthodontist's assistant had me in a reclined position. Did they mention anything about this in you class?

On a final note - you must be a pretty amazing person to be able to lift your foot in the air, move it in a circle, listen to music and breathe through your nose, all while drooling into a cup. Talented you are! :)

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

Also, I would strongly suggest that you sit up when having impressions made.
I wouldn't even attempt it lying down. As for the class I took, nothing was ever said. Maybe I will be my orthos worst case. Perhaps it's the texture of the stuff and not the taste. Perhaps they will let me impression myself. I may get by if I can give it to myself leaning forward. I also considered bring my Hawaii pictures and pretend the impression is the snorkle mouth piece. Ok, maybe that's bit silly. But if it gets me through.

IndyBraceFace

#6 Post by IndyBraceFace »

Ask the doc/assistant if you can lean forward while getting the impressions done. That's what I did and it really helped. It made me less worried that something would go down my throat and choke me.