I wasn't expecting this...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gemini

I wasn't expecting this...

#1 Post by gemini »

My native language is not English, so I'll try to explain what happened the best I can...

Ok, so I went to get my braces on today. Got Damon 3s on both top and bottom. But, by the time they were done placing them both, I couldn't bite with my back teeth without hitting my upper front teeth on the lower front brackets.

Here is the part I wasn't expecting... Since I couldn't tecnically chew with either the front teeth or the back teeth, they built something like a little semi-sharp "hill" on top of my back teeth with some white material that feels like cement... And told me to use these to chew food. :shock: It is more or less like having a huge canine where I used to have a molar (lower jaw), and I still can't chew anything. That is actually bothering me way more than the braces are, because now everytime I speak I tend to hit the damn things on my upper teeth!

Does anyone ever heard of something like this or know how it is called?
Thanks!!

Destor

#2 Post by Destor »

Yup I have the exact same thing, pretty common too. They built up some of that blue cement stuff on the molars and made sure chewing wouldn't break the brackets off. Kinda get used to chewing that way, but it's only temporary none the less until your bite is corrected.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

jrbecca

#3 Post by jrbecca »

I haven't heard of anything like this, gemini, so I can't offer too much help. I did, however, want to say that for English not being your native language, you've expressed yourself and communicated your situation very well! Now, let's hope someone else has some knowledge about what you're going through. :Questions:

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

gemini

#4 Post by gemini »

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! :D

Destor I am glad to hear you got used to chew food with this weird cement thing... How long did it take for them to take yours out? Or, how long did it take for you to learn to chew with 2 teeth? LOL

jrbecca Thanks for the reply! =) I am just glad Destor said it is pretty common... I just never heard of it before, so I was pretty much in shock to have, in addition to all the braces, these weird "new" teeth. :oops:

Destor

#5 Post by Destor »

hahaha, I'm only a month and a half into treatment so they'll still probobly be in for a while longer, totally used to eating with them now though. Can even take on a piece of pizza or anything without much discomfort :)
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

i don't have those but i kinda wish i did because i cannot bite or chew because of one tooth hitting my lower tooth...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Flora2006 wrote:i don't have those but i kinda wish i did because i cannot bite or chew because of one tooth hitting my lower tooth...
I had that...the ortho put on an inside button and an elastic to move the bite so that tooth didn't hit...worked in just 2 weeks.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

gemini

#8 Post by gemini »

I had that...the ortho put on an inside button and an elastic to move the bite so that tooth didn't hit...worked in just 2 weeks.
Wow... 2 weeks?
I wonder how long I will have this horrible thing on.
But can an overbite be fixed that quick? I thought that was only taken care of at the end of the treatment.

sillikitti

#9 Post by sillikitti »

Yep, gemini I've got the exact same thing. 4 months now with cement on each side of my back molars. Drove me NUTS at first not being able to bite down on all my teeth and I always smacked them when I talked too...I even do it in my sleep sometimes so hard I wake up from it. It does get better tho..I hardly notice it anymore and I eat whatever I want too. I hope you get used to it quickly..hang in there!!

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

gemini wrote:
Wow... 2 weeks?
I wonder how long I will have this horrible thing on.
But can an overbite be fixed that quick? I thought that was only taken care of at the end of the treatment.
Oh, this didn't correct the overbite, just one tooth that kept hitting the other.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Flora2006

#11 Post by Flora2006 »

Chris wrote:

It's a crossbite that i have on my canine tooth...is it something like that that you had? My ortho did put a bracket and something to pull the tooth into alignment but it's not a "inside button" or anything like that

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006