Teeth movement during pregnancy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lysachick

Teeth movement during pregnancy

#1 Post by Lysachick »

I just found out that I was pregnant and adviced my ortho on the next visit. He was delighted and said that it was great news because it would make my teeth move much quicker and that due to all the hormones, circulation etc that "it was equivalent to working on a teenage girl". In fact, he said that he would intentionally refrain from mentioning this fact to women of child-bearing age due to the fact that in the past he had patients get themselves pregnant and come back to his practice announcing "they were now ready for braces"!. Has anyone else had any experience with braces during pregnancy in terms of teeth movement?

Jade

#2 Post by Jade »

Hi Lysachick,
and thanks for posting this...
I'm thinking of having a baby in the near future, and I had heard that if you had braces, and got them off that they would move back to their original positions... so I was worried that if I had my braces on while I got pregnant that they would get screwed up or something. I'm glad that it will help with the process...

Congratulations on your pregnancy! :-)o

jrbecca

#3 Post by jrbecca »

Interesting information about how the hormones that come with pregnancy can help speed things along naturally.

Congratulations on the great news, mommy! When are you due? :D

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

Lysachick

#4 Post by Lysachick »

I'm due in August, and let me tell you that despite the bonus of having my teeth move more quickly, dealing with the first trimester in braces ain't fun! In this all important time of nutrious eating habits pregnany diet sucks! No soft cheeses, deli-meats, antipastos, sushi, booze or unpastuerised juices! (That's my whole life just gone out the window!) And of course my ability to eat fresh raw veggies and crunchy fruits is largely hindered by the braces- especially after the last adjustment I had! Ouch! Still suffering almost a week later. I think bubs must be struggling to get nutrition at the moment. Then there's the morning sickness which gets stuck in the braces, especially since I have linguals on the top. Ugh!

But I'm sure it will all be worthwhile in the end! Thanks for the support guys.

johnnys_angel

#5 Post by johnnys_angel »

Yuck I'm sorry that you're having such a rough time, but congrats!! :D
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Kell

#6 Post by Kell »

Then there's the morning sickness which gets stuck in the braces, especially since I have linguals on the top. Ugh!
I had horrible morning sickness with all three of my kids. I can't imagine being pregnant and having braces. I feel for you. Thankfully it doesn't last forever even though it seems like it. I'm sure you'll get through it just fine. I could barely eat anything or take my vitamins because I felt so awful and every time my doctor assured me that the baby would be okay.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

IndyBraceFace

#7 Post by IndyBraceFace »

The sister of my co-worker had braces while she was pregnant and her ortho. told her the same thing. She's going to be done in a year instead of 18 months as a result of her pregnancy. I think that's so cool! It's amazing what the human body is capable of.

mackenzie

#8 Post by mackenzie »

Congrats! And that is a great plus that your teeth will move faster! Does anyone know if birth control making your body think you're pregnant will also help your teeth move?

nick_uk

#9 Post by nick_uk »

When a woman is pregnant, the lil baby takes an amount of calcium it needs from the teeth and bones of its mum - I'd guess that may weaken the teeth (or reduce their size v.slightly), making them easier to move.

The differing hormone levels won't make the teeth easier to move directly, but will affect the movement of calcium.

(hehe someones been revising for uni exams..tomorrow :cry: )
Click here to make an annoying clicky noise

Medical Student, Braced since December 2004