expander in tomorrow

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Haas

expander in tomorrow

#1 Post by Haas »

Hi everyone, Im newly registered, but Ive been reading the posts on this sight for about 2 months. Im in my late 20's and am finally taking steps to improve my teeth. Tommorow I am having a modified bonded haas put in. I have to wear it for about 4 months they say! I will get braced top and botton in the following weeks. From what I have read, I will get a big gap between my front teeth, talk like Im drunk, have a whole slew of canker sores, have aching teeth. Anything else???
This is going to be great, glad your posts gave me the encouragement, and confidence to join the party :D
See y'all tommorrow, same time.....same place

ren

expander in tomorrow

#2 Post by ren »

Hi Haas, welcome! I have a RPE expander in which I think is a different kind of expander than yours. I had my braces put in 1st then about a month later the X (nickname) went in.

Yes, you will get a big gap in your front teeth. Depending on how much room they need-the gap might be bigger than usual. My orth had to get the most expansion out of it before he "sealed it off" (that means turning the key process is done!!). I honestly have to say the speech thing will get easier-but it won't go away until the X is taken off. In your case 4 months isn't that bad! -I'm going on 1 1/2 years with mine still in. The best thing to do is to talk as much as possible-most of it will return. I still cannot say "key, ski, maggie, baggy" like normal. Also, I had to get my tongue used to the X at first because it does irritate your tongue. Food does get caught up there-and a waterpic will help alot with that. I didn't have many cancer sores w/the X but when he put the braces on-my mouth was sore. Wax will help with that and listerine helps with the gum irritations. The thing that was hardest for me was turning the key-that process was painful for me-it's actually expanding your palate bone and that felt like my head was inflating like a balloon. It didn't last long though-I only had to turn the key for 2 weeks (2/a day).

Hope this info. helps :)
Renee

jrbecca

#3 Post by jrbecca »

Welcome to the club, Haas and ren! :)

I enjoyed your summarizing what having an expander will be like, Haas! It would be more funny if it wasn't so true. :oops: In two more days, I will be getting an expander (Easy Arch) and full braces. I hadn't thought yet to ask about a gap between my front teeth as a result of expanding my upper palette. Thanks for the reminder! Best of luck with treatment. It will be worth it in the end!

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

Haas

#4 Post by Haas »

Well, I got the expander in about an hour ago and so far so good. Im not talking half as bad as I thought I would. The dentist confirmed that I will get a gap but said that my crowding should close the gap up quickly!!
( thank the lord for my crowded teeth!! :D )
Do they sell gap covers anywhere?? just a joke! but if they do.... please let me know!
I start turning the key tomorrow and will have to turn it once a day for 20 days. I only have to wear this thing for 3 months, which is great because at first I was sure they said 4 months! I won't get braced until this is out of my mouth! I will wear top and bottom metal braces for about 18 months. thanks for the replies, advice, and info I appreciate it!
Warm saltwater rinses starting in 5..4..3..2...............

Haas

#5 Post by Haas »

"The Expander" day two
eating with this thing on is quite interesting. The first thing I ate was cabbage rolls, and the first bite I took it went right between the appliance and the roof of my mouth, and it BURNED!!! So I ran for the water and swished it out. Then I laughed at myself for the next five minutes while formulating a strategy for the next bite of the cabbage roll. After a good 20 minutes I finished my 3 rolls and sat there with this look on my face like I just conquered mount everest! :D
Im talking better today, but far from normal. ( but still not half as bad as I thought I would) today I relearned how to say the letter D and N, my goal is to have S, SH, and CH by the end of the week. Tonight is going to be the first time I turn the key and don't know how much pain to expect.
Im picturing the sound of bone cracking! Ill keep you guys posted........if I survive that is!!

ciaowy

Expander Day 2

#6 Post by ciaowy »

Funny how the expander didn't start hurting until the following morning. It's not in all the way, so last night it was ever so tempting to pull it out. My tongue is having a cow on my right side because everytime I swallow, I'm adding insult to injury to the same spot.
My teeth moved back after 2 weeks without spacers in. I was afraid that would happen. So, for some reason the expander is in but not quite. The metal bands are hanging over my teeth, especially on my left side. I'm going to try the salt water swishing when I get home. Swishing is the easy part, it's the spitting that creates drool. Ugh.

Haas

#7 Post by Haas »

That sounds awful ciaowy. My expander is bonded so I don't think Ill have the same problem! I hope!!
"The Expander" Day 3
Last night I turned the key for the first time and felt a bit of pressure on my molars, but that lasted about 2 minutes which made me start to question if I did it right or if it turned back! Ill see tonight. It took me about 20 minutes just to turn the key and when I completed it I once again had the look like I just conquered Everest!! No gap between my front teeth yet. Does the gap close when you stop turning the key??
I have 20 turns, so does that mean that in 20 turns Ill have a gap and after that it will close within the month after???
I bought instant breakfast which is great because its like a meal that you drink and it tastes like a thick chocolate milk. I think that will be my breakfast of choice for the next 3 months. Yogart will be for lunch because I can just pretty much drink that too! So all I have to worry about it supper. For those who have had both, which do you like the least..... the expander, or the braces???

ciaowy

#8 Post by ciaowy »

Yeah, on the 24th I return to the ortho to have the expander "cemented" in. I went soup shopping last night and found ambesol and dental wax. The wax worked like magic until I brushed my teeth this morning, it fell out and I miss took it as food. Instant breakfast sounds like something I need to look into. My husband went with me Monday and got a hands on lesson on how to turn the key. Not sure when or for how long I will be doing that... yet. My list of questions grows...

ciaowy

$15 in Ortho Bucks!!

#9 Post by ciaowy »

So I decided after your post that waiting until the 24th was gonna be everso unbearable. Having the metal hanging above my teeth made me think terrible thoughts about whether I was bending it everytime I ate. So, I went in and we got it to fit all snug and decided to glue the haas in, and my tongue feels so much better. My next appt. is Feb. 23rd and I am to turn the key twice weekly.

Haas

#10 Post by Haas »

Well I turned the key for the second time last night and again, I felt a wee bit of pressure then nothing!! I thought I'd be feeling pain on the roof of my mouth or somewhere!! I am greatful that I don't feel any pain right now, but that gets me questioning if it is working, or if Im doing it right!
eating is way better today, and speaking is a little bit better. No gap yet..... wheres my gap......... I want my gap!!! just kidding!! I was trying to feel for it last night and I thought I felt a bit but it didn't change ...not even a little. I think when I get the gap Im going to cover it with white electrical tape!! think anyone will notice?? funny how Im so freaked out to get a gap when Ive gone all this time with crowding. I think its cause my top front two teeth are straight and if my mouth is half closed you cant tell I have bad teeth. with a big gap Im afraid it will be totally noticable! man, I can't wait to have nice teeth!! 24 months minus 3 days to go............................

ren

#11 Post by ren »

I'm amazed that some of you guys can actually turn the key yourselves! I know I had to have my husband do it-poor guy-but I never could do it myself. :roll:

Silverware

#12 Post by Silverware »

I'm getting an expander (along with my bands) put in on monday. I'm kind of nervous that it will impair my speech even MORE than my braces already have. (I have a presentation the following day!) From reading the boards, it sounds like there are different kinds of expanders? Are some more intrusive than others?

Haas

#13 Post by Haas »

I hope you don't get the same kind as I have!! I couldn't imagine doing a presentation the next day!! If I were you Id see if I could have a week or two before giving it! I just starting being able to talk fairly normal and its been just over 2 weeks!!
by the way..... no gap between my teeth and it doesn't really hurt either.
I have an appointment on the 14th. I hope everything is going well, but Im nervous that its not doing what its supposed too!!

good luck silverware, may the expander be small and your speech be clear:)