Just a whinge....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kim

Just a whinge....

#1 Post by Kim »

Today my boyfriend's step mother came into my work and was having a conversation with another staff member who served her, about teeth and dental treatment and how much it costs, etc. I went over to say hello while they were in the midst of the conversation and sort of added my 2 cents agreeing how expensive it all is (considering I have braces).... and the spiteful cow turned and scowled at me, "Oh, but yours is completely to do with your vanity!" The nerve of her! :evil: I was so angry and upset all at once, I didn't know wheather to punch her or run off and cry! :o
I've always needed braces since I was a kid, but my parents weren't able to pay for it, and were actually advised by a dentist when I was about 10 that if they can't afford it, just to wait until I was old enough to pay for it myself if it was still bothering me (because my case wasn't really bad).
I guess wanting a prettier smile is vain in a way, but so what if I want to improve the way I look?! Its no different to putting makeup on to make your self look nicer. And if I were that vain, wouldn't one think I would be complaining, worrying about what people think about the way I look with these metal things on my teeth? lol.
Agggrrrrh!.... this coming from a woman, who's own brother paid for his already perfect gorgeous wife to get a boob job - I've never heard her critisize them for their decision!! :shock:

Ok sorry for the whinge guys, I just had to get that off my chest! :roll:
-Slight upper crowding
-Moderate lower crowding
-5mm overbite
-Right posterior crossbite

kirst1583

#2 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi Kim,
That's terrible. I can imagine how angry that would've made you. I think I would've pretty much exploded if someone said that to me!!!
Only advice I can give is to ignore her.. it sounds like jealousy talking. Just keep thinking of how beautiful your teeth will look when they are done.
The other thing is - what's it to her even if it was purely done for vanity? If it makes you feel better about yourself then why not!
Hope you recover ok from her insult. Keep your chin up and try not to let her get to you :wink:
Btw - where in Australia do you live? (if you don't mind me asking)
Kirst

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

What a meanie. I'm sorry you have to deal with someone like that. She's trying to make you upset. I wouldn't let her know it bothered you.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Kim

#4 Post by Kim »

kirst1583 wrote: The other thing is - what's it to her even if it was purely done for vanity? If it makes you feel better about yourself then why not!
My point exactly!!! :roll:
Btw - where in Australia do you live? (if you don't mind me asking)
Kirst
I live in Central South East Queensland! haha. Narrows it down a bit. :P
-Slight upper crowding
-Moderate lower crowding
-5mm overbite

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

The woman is a beotch, she's jealous, and she's got that weird Oedipal thing going where she resents any woman who goes out with her son (whether she admits it to herself or not).

But let's not focus on her: she's a waste of space and breath. Let us focus on you, and the whole braces-for-vanity issue.

Regardless of whether vanity or necessity motivated your decision to have braces, straighter teeth are healthier teeth. In many ways, people's vanity serves a positive purpose here, because it means they get actual medical problems fixed. Same with me: I wanted my top teeth fixed to "look prettier" as they were getting crooked, then the hygienist told me I should get my bottom teeth fixed as they were crowded, hard to clean, and I was getting excessive tartar build up (which is very bad for gum health).

You are having a medical treatment, known as orthodontics, to put your teeth in the healthiest, most natural order intended. We are not meant to have crooked teeth, we are meant to have teeth in two good, smooth arches: ie the shape of the jaw they grow in. Getting a pretty smile is a nice side bonus, but the underlying fact of the matter is that you are getting a healthier mouth as the main result.

Bleaching - now that may be a vanity thing. But after a couple of years in braces, I think we all deserve that if we want it ;)

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

I'm so sorry! That is so mean of her to say that! :shock: I think she was just jealous.

Just keep the goal of a beautiful healthy smile in mind and try to forget about it! Easier said than done I know! :roll:

Don't feel sorry about coming here to whine, that's what we're here for! :wink:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

Jesslzz 01

#7 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Excellent, weird-wired! I can't agree more. I think the same exactly, and I think that you had expressed (is that word ok?) all the facts about the reasons why any person should get braces, in an honest and clear point of view.

Your post made me feel great! Thanks for sharing :-**

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

Way Too Old For This

#8 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Kim, I'm so sorry she acted that way to you. And to do it where you work. No class! Don't let her get you down. You are doing the right thing. This will probably turn out to be one of the best investments of your life. I already feel that way.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

missing_tooth

#9 Post by missing_tooth »

Wow, just wow. Some people. I wouldn't worry about her brother. Who knows what she said to who about that. Remember, she might just be getting treatment if she had your teeth.

Good thing to remember is people love to be a critic. Critic about your car, clothes and money. Especially money. I could really on with examples on number money. Being a critic also lets them be a gossip. Although you can't always steer clear of those people, I try to as much as possible.

- Missing Tooth -

Kim

AWWW... THANKS!

#10 Post by Kim »

:D Thanks everybody for all your nice words! I didn't come here looking for sympathy, but you all have made me feel so much better.

Also thanks to weird_wired... you are an absolute legend! :-**
Wait until she has another go at me. lol.. I've taken mental notes from your post to completely jar her. lol Ok, I'm not really like that, but I can just picture it in my mind, haha. That's enough satisfaction for me.
-Slight upper crowding
-Moderate lower crowding
-5mm overbite