How are molar bands done?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

How are molar bands done?

#1 Post by genxsis »

I'm having molar bands put on in about 2 hours from now. It's currently 11:23am CDT.

What exactly do they do for the 40 minutes that the appointment is supposed to last for?

luxekitty

#2 Post by luxekitty »

I had my 2 lower molar bands put in yesterday. First the assistant fit all 4 of them. Then the ortho came in and took them off and did something to them. (I thought he was putting the adhesive on all of them.)

The put the lowers on again and the uppers, but then removed the uppers so currently I just have my lowers :?:

The process for me was not painful, the pressure the ortho applied when pushing them on made me nervous but he knows what he doing. They place something in your mouth and ask you to bite, I'm guessing this object helps push down/secure the molar band. The lowers aren't bugging me at all today, so thats a good thing. :)

No clue what happened with those top molar bands though. I know I'm getting a TPA device next time I go in, maybe he decided on the spot that I needed the TPA therefore possibly different bands? (no clue.)
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

Thank you, Luxekitty! It sounds like it isn't all that bad. I've heard stories about how terrible it can be. I also hear that those cleats on the back of them can really tear up the tongue. I'll ask if they can remove those prior to putting on the bands. I wonder if they'll do it, or say something like, "Let's just leave them for now and see how it goes for the next couple weeks at your next appointment." Ugh! :wink:

swan

#4 Post by swan »

For me they had to try on several different sizes until they finally found the right one to use. That took quite a while.
After they are happy with the sizes, they take them off again to put the adhesive on and cement them in. The assistant had me bite down on that thing that someone mentioned earlier several times in different positions/places to get the molar band to sit right (and tight :) ).
Lastly, they remove any cement that has "spilled over".
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

genxsis

#5 Post by genxsis »

Hmmm...sounds simple enough. Thanks, Swan!

BTW, I guess they'll be taking out my spacers that I have in now. There shouldn't be anything hard about that, I suppose.

I'll let you know how the molar band thing goes. Although I'm not looking forward to having metal in my mouth for the next 2.5 years beginning with today! :cry:

Cissa

#6 Post by Cissa »

When they put my molar bands on I remember having to bit on that blue thing. It made the strangest noise ever and it felt really weird to me. It almost made me cringe it was that strange. You feel the cement and metal slide between your teeth and tou hear the noise it makes.

I'm not trying to scare you, believe me, but it was seriously an odd experience for me, and in case it is for you, you're prepared!

genxsis

#7 Post by genxsis »

Cissa:

Informed maybe. Prepared? I'll let you know tomorrow! :lol:

Cissa

#8 Post by Cissa »

Yeah let me know, seriosuly. I don't know if maybe it's just me that got that weird feeling. I had to bite twice to get just one put on: the first time it pushed the inside down, the second time pushed the outside down.

dena

#9 Post by dena »

hopefully all went well. luckily molar bands were cake for me...nothing freaky, time-consuming or painful at all!

the cleats do hurt sometimes, and then they are fine again. it's weird.

hey! this is maybe a dumb question, but speaking of molar bands, does anyone floss between their molars and the neighboring teeth? I mean, flossing around the band? I have only been flossing once a week per my orders, but I haven't tried that yet. I really LIKE flossing though so I want to do it if I should/if it's possible.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

luxekitty

#10 Post by luxekitty »

dena wrote:hopefully all went well. luckily molar bands were cake for me...nothing freaky, time-consuming or painful at all!

the cleats do hurt sometimes, and then they are fine again. it's weird.

hey! this is maybe a dumb question, but speaking of molar bands, does anyone floss between their molars and the neighboring teeth? I mean, flossing around the band? I have only been flossing once a week per my orders, but I haven't tried that yet. I really LIKE flossing though so I want to do it if I should/if it's possible.
I just flossed that area today, no problems. I just had to drag the floss out instead of picking it back up, does that make sense? :) I wish I could floss between my top molars but I still have dreaded spacers there. :(
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dena

#11 Post by dena »

thanks luxekitty!
I just flossed that area today, no problems. I just had to drag the floss out instead of picking it back up, does that make sense?
that totally makes sense!

genxsis

#12 Post by genxsis »

OK everyone, my molar bands are on, and I'm regretting it! The process of putting them on wasn't really painful. They had to try a few different sizes on one of my teeth because, apparently, one of my spacers had come out and I didn't know it, but they got it done.

But now is when the painful process is upon me. The parts that come out from the bands where the wires are supposed to go are very sharp and have it impossible for me to eat anymore. I tried using the wax they gave me, but the sharp edges just poke right through the wax and have really torn up the inside of my cheeks. Every time I bite down, I thought I was biting my cheek, but then I realized that the pain was coming before my teeth even came together, which means it's those sharp edges that are catching on my cheek and tearing it open. I'm completely on a liquid diet now. My Dad and I were going to get together today as we do each week to eat out, but I had to tell him we can't because I can't even eat! I'll have to stay home and make something in the blender.
Sleeping at night wasn't easy either. Every time I moved my mouth when I was asleep, the pain woke me up.

The braces aren't even on yet! This is what I'm going through with just the molar bands! These things are like razor blades in my mouth. I'd like to have a long talk with the person who designed these things! Didn't they realize that sharp objects in the mouth is a bad thing? Can't they make the edges rounded instead of leaving them razer sharp? My car keys have rounded edges! But now molar bands??? What's the deal?

I've heard of people here being surprised at how bad these things feel, and then say that they get better after awhile, but it sure is hard to believe at this point. The sharp edges are going to get any blunter, unless I go in there with a Dremel tool and go to work on them..... :twisted:

dena

#13 Post by dena »

it really does get better! a lot of others have said what i'm about to say, too, so i can only assume that healing happens fast in your mouth! but, for instance, last friday and saturday i had the worst pain i've had yet--cleats slicing into my cheek and seriously a huge swollen welt on the inside of my mouth--from cleats, braces and archwire. when i got up saturday morning, it KILLED. by 2pm, it was totally gone. i wouldnt even have known i had braces. i don't know why this happens but every pain i've had so far has stopped very quickly, so i can only assume this is typical.

that said, eat what you can and use that wax, even if it doesnt work totally.

NotBob1

#14 Post by NotBob1 »

Genxsis: I think you are experiencing the worst of it now. I had my direct bonds last week and my molars, all 8, done today. Actually 6 out of the 8, the other two were too tight this time. The archwire pulling on my teeth, about a 5 on a 1-10. The inside cleats. I'd have to say an 8.5 bordering on a 9. Those little bastards are tearing up my tongue with every movement!!!!!

All of the elastic hooks and attachments on the outside of the molar bands are no pic-nic either! It is getting better already other than those damn cleats!

My wife just said to tell you that cool applesauce feels great on the tongue. This is apparently what I was proclaiming after dinner. It's true.

It REALLY will get better. This is the one main thing I remember from my first round with braces and the evil cleats and attachments.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

spragers

#15 Post by spragers »

Stock up on wax and use big clumps if you have to, your cheeks will thank you, and they'll still toughen up after awhile just from having something there to irritate them a little (wax bumps as opposed to sharp pointy metal ;)