o-ring half popped off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dena

o-ring half popped off

#1 Post by dena »

can anyone speak to this lil problem? try to picture this...one of the o-rings on a bottom bracket has partially popped off. So instead of being hooked at four corners, it is now only hooked on three. I *tried* to pop it back on with a dental pick but couldn't do it easily. and I have to say the tension is really intense! (I don't think I fully realized how tight these braces were and how much pressure there is on the teeth!) I know people change their own ligs, but I'm afraid that me not knowing what I'm doing will break the o-ring. I emailed my ortho a few minutes ago. But in the meantime, if anyone has any feedback (like "no big deal" or "that is exactly the thing that will rip a tooth out of your mouth!") I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Dena,
Dont worry! :D
I have a lig that wants to pop off when I floss. Can you take tweezers and grab that corner and hook it on? Thats what I usually do.
I would try to reach your ortho tomorrow and see if they can put it back on for you if your not able to.
Good Luck!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi dena,

I wouldn't be too concerned. Hopefully you live/work/go to school close to your ortho's office. Just call them tomorrow for an appt. - it just takes a few seconds to reattach or replace it.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Kittysopretty

#4 Post by Kittysopretty »

use a saftey pin. I used to actually change my own ligs and this worked since it is so thin you can get it under the lig.

aims

#5 Post by aims »

Hmm..I have one that was like that before I even left the office!

I've just kind of been easy on it and left it alont though until I can get an appointment. It's really tight and I'm in the same boat you are with tyring to get it back on there.
January 16th, 2006- Tops And Bottoms

gsx

#6 Post by gsx »

It happened to me the first time I brushed the brackets. Press with your finger and slide it to the end of the hook, it will return to its position. Nails can help you too.
Don't worry!

dena

#7 Post by dena »

hi all! I did manage to get it back on with a dental pick, so that was good. also, fyi, i heard back from my ortho (who said all the things you all said) and also mentioned that sometimes they just hook the rings in 3 or even 2 places only...depending on the position of the tooth, etc. so not a big deal in the long run either.

i admire those who change their own ligs...I bet it's not at all as easy as it looks!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months