Ahhh!...the freedom of wire ties!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kittysopretty

Ahhh!...the freedom of wire ties!!!!

#1 Post by Kittysopretty »

I had my first adjustment today. I got a heavier wire and yes, wire ties! No more changing the ligs (though the staff now knows me as the weirdo who bought her own ligs online and changed them with a safety pin, lol). I can eat what I want now! My lipstick isn't even a problem now (it used to get on my ligs as well)

It looks kinda like I have dill seeds in my brackets but it still looks great! Hardly noticeable and my teeth look so clean and white. And perhaps it's just my wishful thinking, but it feels better and less bulky with the wire ties.

I have this board to thank because I would not have asked for wire ties (before finding this place I had no idea I *could* get wire ties).

When they took my old wire out, they let me brush, etc before putting the new one in and that was cool (it felt nice to feel my teeth, lol).

They said this heavy wire should really "get things moving". YAY!!

Natasha_26

#2 Post by Natasha_26 »

yeah I know..its amazing. I have wire ties too and I can eat whatever I want without worrying abt staining. when I first got my braces, I had no idea that I had wire ties and like u, I was always worried abt staining. Its after I joined this board, I realised that I had wire ties which were not going to stain :P

Upper and Lower Ceramics

gsx

#3 Post by gsx »

don't you have before/after pics?

angelxdevil

#4 Post by angelxdevil »

congrats on getting the wire ties, can either of you post a pick, as im unsure what the wire ties actually are, thanks very much if ya can :)

Eleni

#5 Post by Eleni »

Kittysopretty, glad you are happy. And you tried to change your own ligs :?: Why...no, wait, I really don't want to know.

The one down side of wire ties that I have found is flossing. The floss can get caught and then it just gets shredded when you try to pull it out. Very Annoying.

And here is a trick about the lipstick. After you are done putting it on, stick your index finger into your mouth, close your mouth and pull your finger out. Your finger should pick up all the lipstick that made it too close to your inner mouth. You'll never get lipstick on teeth, ligs, etc ever again.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Kittysopretty

#6 Post by Kittysopretty »

Hi Eleni...yes, I know the lipstick trick well but it STILL got on the ligs, lol.

Also, I changed my ligs several times with ease, it was stressful the first time I did it, til I realized I had to do it diagonal first. Then it was a breeze BUT....I mean, what was the sense, really? I couldn't eat certain things out at a restaurant (especially if we were going out afterwards)without worrying and doing a lig change in the restroom wasn't exactly convenient!

Thanks for the flossing warning, I can see where it will be trickier than with the ligs!

I don't know how to post pics, does anyone have a pic of their ceramic braces with wire ties for those who are curious?

Aradia252

#7 Post by Aradia252 »

Yes, I have pictures of ceramics with wire ties on my braces story:

viewtopic.php?t=5018

Ceramics on top: 6/23/05
Lower Expander: 9/8/05, Removed: 3/30/06
Ceramics on bottom: 10/7/05

Way Too Old For This

#8 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I have wire ties with ligs on top of them. They told me the ligs were being put on to make it more comfortable for my lips.

You're right about flossing. I have had floss shred so bad I had to get the tweezers to get the fuzzies out of my teeth...yech.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Kittysopretty

#9 Post by Kittysopretty »

I flossed last night with no problems at all. The wire is done tightly and tucked away neatly, thank goodness!

I prefer the feel of no lig, you should try it Way Too Old For This, the braces feel smaller IMO (in my opinion).

Crowded Mouth

#10 Post by Crowded Mouth »

Can someone post a pic with ceramics and wire ties to see what they look like? thanks

fins

#11 Post by fins »

I don't have a pic but the ties are very small and twisted and tucked close to the bracket. You can't really see them unless you are face to face with someone looking for them. It's really important for the tech to tuck them in so you don't get anything poking you. They are very tight and put quite a bit of tension on the teeth, I don't know how that compares to the elastic.
fins

Kittysopretty

#12 Post by Kittysopretty »

Thanks KK, I was thrilled to get a new wire!

And as for the wire ties (for anyone who is curious) you only see them if you look REALLY close up and stare. My children didn't notice even when I pointed it out. They had to get in my face, lol!

Metal Mouth Guy

#13 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

So you found a cure for LCO? Congratulations! :lol:

MMG

Kittysopretty

#14 Post by Kittysopretty »

MMG.....lol....life has been sooooo good now!!!! No more of my habitual mirror-inspecting post meals! :P

Metal Mouth Guy

Message Deleted Because of KK

#15 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

Message Deleted Because of KK
Last edited by Metal Mouth Guy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.