Odd question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cissa

Odd question

#1 Post by Cissa »

I don't know if this is because I'm still in braces or perhaps it's just how my mouth is, but when I bite, the bottom of my top teeth nearly cover the brackets on my bottom teeth.

I do know that I have a very small lower arch and a comparitively large upper arch, but I'm noticing in many pictures of others that smiles consist of the lower arch showing, and mine doesn't do that.

So yes, it's a very strange question but I was curious as to whether or not your lower arch is nearly covered by your upper arch when you smile and bite?

Cissa

#2 Post by Cissa »

They haven't told me anything if that's their plan. The only thing they suggested before treatment was a possible surgery on my upper arch. I went for a checkup today and he told me that all is doing great, I just need to get that one tooth on my lower arch to go where it needs to be.

If I don't get it fixed, would it still be ok do you think?

Also it could be because I had an appliance on earlier in my treatment that spread out my top teeth, so maybe it's a result of that, and the power chain could fix it?

Cissa

#3 Post by Cissa »

I've been working on the pics thing. I've got me a little cheapo digital camera, and all that's turning out so far are blurry pics with shiny spots in them :lol:

Based on the picture though, it could be overjet, but it doesn't look as extreme as the photo does. I mean it really doesn't bother me as I don't show my bottom teeth when I smile anyway, but I'll be sure to ask my ortho about it when I go back in February. Thank you for your help!

hannah164

#4 Post by hannah164 »

I also have a very deep bite and when I bite down you can't see see my front two bottom brackets. :shock: You can see the rest because of my funky shaped lower arch! :? Its kind of shaped like an upside stretched out U! WHole other story...

I'm hoping that at my next adjustment on Saturday I will get elastics to start fixing that or maybe a reverse curve archwire like Meryaten! I don't know.... I guess I'll have to wait and see! :roll:

Good luck!

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Dreamer

#5 Post by Dreamer »

Meryaten.. I have the reverse curve wire on the bottom also for my deep bite. I don't really understand how this wire opens up the bite? Also, once that wire is off what keeps the bite from regressing?
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

Dreamer

#6 Post by Dreamer »

Wow! After reading that article and the link to #16 on Retention..it's a little unnerving to think this could possibly not be a permanent correction. I will have to pick my Dr's. brain on this as well next month!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley