Happy Braced Day to Me!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jrbecca

Happy Braced Day to Me!

#1 Post by jrbecca »

:-)o

Today's the big day and I couldn't be more excited or nervous! My appointment is at 9:45 a.m., PST, so I'm cooking breakfast now and will take a preventative Advil in a few minutes.

I know that I'm probably going to hate my braces initially, and may very well cry, but it's going to be worth it in the end! I let most of my coworkers know about my decision yesterday, so they won't be surprised when I walk into the office with a mouth full of metal. I'm even meeting my fiance for lunch after getting my braces. I'll probably order soup, if I feel like eating at all.

I'm even wearing my "Magic Smiles" T-shirt the orthodontist gave me. This is going to be a great day!!!

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

Congradulations on braces day. Let us all know how it goes.

- Missing Tooth -

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

Good luck! I'm sure everything will go great. I'd love to hear how it went when you get back.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Nikkiekoala

#4 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. Good luck to you!!! Looks like you are going in this with a good attitude.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

Gel

#5 Post by Gel »

Good luck and congratulations. Can't wait to hear how it goes. When I got out of the ortho, I couldn't stop smiling, because I really loved having my braces on and I still do. Maybe I'm weird...
Anyways good luck.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

alexa

#6 Post by alexa »

Happy Brace Day! 8)

Really, the braces thing, it's not that bad. Everything will work out in the ed.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

MadeIn1984

#7 Post by MadeIn1984 »

That's an exciting piece of news to hear! I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

Happy Braced Day! :D
Visit me on MySpace! :wink:

hannah164

#8 Post by hannah164 »

Happy Braced Day Jrbecca! :dance:

Hope everything went well! :wink: CAn't wait to see some pictures! :D

Keep us posted! :computer:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

-Hannah :frogbraces:

jrbecca

Update!!

#9 Post by jrbecca »

:D

Hello, fellow metal-mouths!

Getting my braces put on was a breeze. The process was virtually painless and the first time I looked in the mirror, I was pleasantly surprised at how I looked. I was expecting to look like a poorly carved Jack-O-Lantern and had imagined the crying I might do, but I had only smiles for myself!

That afternoon, my colleagues were very supportive. Everyone wanted to see my braces and all had very positive comments. My fiance thinks I look even cuter now, although I'm pretty sure that's a biased opinion.

I'm very happy with my decision! I'm using dental wax to cover offending brackets and have thus far warded off any canker sores or abrasions. My expander has given me a slight, almost indiscernable lisp, but I'm sure that, too, will go away.

What I didn't expect was how much time I'd spend cleaning my teeth and braces. My brushing routine has tripled in length and flossing now takes me just over 20 minutes! :shock:

I'm taking Advil regularly, although I'm already noticing the pain and pressure subsiding a bit. Unfortunately, I discovered this evening that one my brackets won't stay closed. My brackets are similar to Damon's, however, instead of true doors to hold the wire in place, my "doors" slide up and down.

I've left a voicemail for my orthodontist letting him know about the situation. His office is closed on Fridays, so l sent the message with "urgency." Until I hear from him, I plan to keep dental wax over the bracket to help keep it closed.

I have some pictures of my newly braced smile in my online blog! I welcome you to check it out (please click on the link in my signature)!

Congratulations to everyone getting braces this week! We should all be proud! :jump:

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

the cleaning will get better jrbecca ;) It still takes me a really long time do wash my teeth and all but i am getting used to it. flossing has become easier and i am using normal floss...not the stiff ends so just give it time.

Congrats on getting your braces :)

I hope the ortho calls you back real soon to fix that bracket.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Lin

#11 Post by Lin »

Congrats, jrbecca!! I hope you are starting to adjust. I will be getting mine on before the month's end, so I'm glad you shared your experience here! How are you doing after a couple days in?

Keep updating & take good care!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

jrbecca

#12 Post by jrbecca »

Lin wrote: How are you doing after a couple days in?

Keep updating & take good care!
Congrats on your upcoming brace day, Lin! I hope that you'll tell us all about your experience when the time comes.

Now that a few days have passed since getting my braces, I'm delighted to announce that they're quickly becoming a part of me--my lips are fitting my comfortably over the brackets, cleaning is getting a bit routine, and I've noticed my speech improving. Eating is still a challenge, though.

Last night, my fiance took me out to dinner. I ordered a pasta dish knowing that noodles would be easy to eat; however, I really wanted steak, or a big juicy hamburger. It was a little hard being surrounded by all these people in the restaurant who literally had the freedom to order whatever their hearts desired. I will admit that this was a bit of a low point for me, but I'm staying really positive.

I know that in a matter of days, I'll be able to chew a bit, and subsequently eat more yummy things! I think I may cry out of pure happiness that day that I can handle eating a hamburger!!

samantha_lou

#13 Post by samantha_lou »

Your braces look great Jenny! I'm sure you will feel a lot more confident in work and dealing with your clients once this is done, and you know that you can flash a really amazing smile. Your teeth have a great color and shape to them, you're really going to have amazing results from wearing the braces. Its also great you have such a supportive husband-to-be, thats an important factor. Fortunately, my husband is totally positive about me having braces aswell, which makes the whole decision to go through treatment a lot easier.