New to the board

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sleater

New to the board

#1 Post by sleater »

Hi All!

I am new to the board. I have been shyly lurking for a while just getting use to all the lingo and the world of braces.

I am in the early stages and so far I had two very different ortho consultations. The first guy told me my treatment would be $6000 - $7000 CDN and that I had to for sure have jaw surgery ($1500 oral surgeon set up fee + x-rays & impressions fees) on top of that I would have to pay for my 4 extractions through my regular dentist.

My second consult was like this $4600 CDN including everything except my 4 extractions. Also this woman talked me through the benefits and disadvantages of surgery and let me know that I didn't have to have it if I didn't want to. I have a 10 mm overbite and she says she can take it down to 4 mm without surgery.

I am so glad that I got a second opinion. The first guy had a really fancy office with a flat screen tv built into the wall of the waiting room and the office is in the posh part of town. My second consult is downtown in a normal area of town but the office is totally no frills.

So I decided to go with the 2nd opinion and just recently went into have my x-rays done and the molds taken. I have my follow up this Saturday to outline my treatment and I have my appointment booked for Feb 3rd to have my 4 extractions.

Right now I am most nervous about having the teeth pulled, since it will be with only freezing and no laughing gas. Has anyone else on here had multiple extractions with only freezing? If so any words to ease my mind?
Of course I am also worried about the application and the first few weeks of the braces, but I feel like that's a few weeks away so I still have time to work myself up over that.

Anyway just want to say hello and share my story so far.

Thanks!
Shannon

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

Hi sleater!!

Congratulations on getting the process underway. Sometimes it can be frustrating and seem like a long, drawn-out thing, but you'll find lots of information and support here!!!

As for the extractions, I'm not sure about freezing. I had mine done with local anesthesia only (no laughing gas), and it was totally a breeze. I'd rather get an extraction than a cavity filled... how crazy is that???!!!

Welcome to the board, and visit often :-)

dena

#3 Post by dena »

hi sleater--I am not sure what freezing is, but I also had 4 extractions with just a local anasthetic. I was totally scared but it went great! From the first shot of novicain to the last tooth pulled, it took about 10-12 minutes. It was a breeze. And it's been two weeks now and the healing process is going very well. The only problem I have is trying to keep food out of the little holes!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Welcome to the board!! I'm from Toronto as well :)

Don't worry too much about extractions...i've had 3 done about a month and a half ago and i was fine...my dentist is amazing though...don't stress too much and don't try to think about what they are doing!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

I have had an extraction with just the freezing. It's really not that bad. The worst part is the sound. I could hear the tooth being ripped away from the gums. Very creepy sound, but painless.

- Missing Tooth -

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

oh yeah that was scary...hearing the tooth crack is not cool at all!!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

sleater

#7 Post by sleater »

Hey Guys!

Thanks very much for putting my mind to ease. Yikes! The tooth crunching should be interesting. Yes Freezing was indeed my loose term for local anesthetic...my dentist has reassured me though that I won't even be able to feel my head once he's done with the Nova Cane.

How long did you all have to wait until the braces went on (after the extractions)? Did you have a difficult time speaking once the braces were on? If so do you remember how long that lasted? I play in a band and have an important showcase on March 4th and don't want to be a saliva factory while I attempt to sing for the first time with braces on.

Thanks again!!

missing_tooth

#8 Post by missing_tooth »

Actually the tooth pulling was the causes of my braces. Baby cainin tooth had decay and was breaking apart. The dentist pulled it saying, he could attach it to a bracket and bring it down. He didn't tell me it involved braces. But I other alignment problems that could be serious down the road, so I'm just going for the full deal if you will.

- Missing Tooth -

krennen

#9 Post by krennen »

Welcome to the board and good luck. Having 4 teeth pulled with a local anesthetic was easy--but I did get one dry socket and that was a pain. I got my braces on within 2 weeks of the extractions. They haven't been too painful but I can't chew very well as my molars don't meet. That has been very frustrating. Wax really helps with areas of rubbing. My oral hygiene has been great as I can't stand a messy mouth. This forum is great for information and a "pick-me-up" when you're feeling down!