Depressing trip to the dentist...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alexa

Depressing trip to the dentist...

#1 Post by alexa »

Well, it started out normal.

"Alexa, you need to floss more, okay?"

Then it got ugly.

"What's up with your back molars?" I don't know...what's wrong with them? "Well, they're leaking some puss..." PUSS?! OMG?! That is sooo gross!

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Eeew!!

So what it is, is that the gum area near my back molars, when probed with a pointy dental cleaning object seems to excrete some puss like substance. I asked why it would do such a thing, and she pulled up old x-rays (they wouldn't take any for me, though I'm due because of the braces) and showed how my wisdom teeth are partially impacted. I had always thought that they were completely impacted, but no. Apparently the are pointing diagonally, but one side of the top of the tooth is pushing towards my molars and the other side of the top of the tooth has erupted from the bone and is only being covered by a thin piece of gum tissue. The dentist thinks that because my teeth have moved forward, and there is a pocket of space between the back molars and the wisdom teeth, that there have been some food particles and plaque that have snuck into an area that I can't see, and couldn't possibly clean, and have given me a slight gum infection. After getting over the initial gross out, I asked how bad this is and I heard the one sentence I did not want to hear:

"These wisdom teeth need to come out, sooner the better."

She asked if they hurt at all and I said they didn't and she seemed surprised. Apparently, based on what she is seeing, I should be in pain! :(

So now I have an apointment to get a surface filling replaced and a referral to an oral surgeon for a consultation for the wisdom teeth extractions. I don't know what I'm going to do though. I mean, the filling costs $126...and that seems like more than I can pay....how am I going to pay for all four wisdom teeth to be extracted without insurance?? I told her that I wanted to wait until after braces, but she said that if I wasn't going to get them off in the next six months or so, then I should really just have it done.

Why doesn't my employer offer dental insurance? :evil:

Man.....sorry to whine...but boy am I bummed out!
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

That's awful, you poor girl!!

I definitely feel your pain...My employer offers only the minimal insurance, and it sucks :-( I had to pay out-of-pocket for my wisdom teeth extractions, and since they weren't erupted and had to be done by an oral surgeon, it cost $1500. Many dental centers will help you out with payments. After the shock wore off from paying that much money, however, I was SO glad I got it done. I felt so much better and didn't have any more nasty sinus problems.

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Okay now I am scared that its going to happen to me!! My dentist told me that we would wait until i get the braces off (in 2 years) before removing the wisdom teeth but after reading this...I'm scared I'll get an infection :shock:

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Jade

#4 Post by Jade »

Sorry your appointment was so horrible :(

Wisdom teeth are nasty little buggers...
I got mine out about a year ago, and it was the worst experience of my life (I was awake through the whole thing).

Try to go to a Dental school and have a student do them for you... it cost a LOT less! mine were only $250 for all 4 instead of $1000 +

Mine were also growing in all crooked and sideways. They gave me a lot of pain, and pressure.

Kittysopretty

#5 Post by Kittysopretty »

Alexa,

This is WAY off topic but I adore the name Alexa so much that I wanted to name my daughter Alexa and my husband (now ex-husband who has no contact with his children!! :evil: ) didn't like it :roll: (he's an idiot). Anyway....I LOVE LOVE your name!!!!! I ended up with a Brittany and an Ashley and I am SO SORRY I didn't just name one of them Alexa!!! So pretty!!!

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

Alexa,

I'm so sorry you had such a horrible appt.! :cry:

I actually had some friends who had a puss infection because of their wisdom teeth! It does and will get better! :wink: THat's good that you have no pain though!

Good luck with getting your wisdom teeth removed! :thumbsup:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

Kell

#7 Post by Kell »

That was a bad appointment. We have terrible dental insurance so I understand your concerns. I hope you can get everything all worked out and take care of those wisdom teeth.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

alexa

#8 Post by alexa »

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Flora--Don't worry about infection. Really, I just have really crappy dental genes. I inherited the crowding and fangs from my father and neither one of my parents have had very good dental luck. If there was something bad that could happen to teeth, it's going to happen to me! :roll:

Jade--That is a thought, the dental school thing. The only problem is that I unfortunately know a horror story about wisdom teeth removal at the dental school here in the city. Sure those students are long gone and my friend did get $250,000 for her pain and suffering, but jeeze, those burns from the faulty drill they left sitting on her lower lip sure looked bad! :shock: Also, I want to do the IV thing this time around, as the local I had for my bicuspid removals was just not good enough. I get too antsy.

Kittysopretty--Heh, Thanks for the name compliment. I used to hate it when I was a kid, because number one, everone thought my name was Alexandra, and would call me that all of the time, and number two, because I could never get those little personalized mini license plates or anything with my name on them! :lol: I love my name now though. Way to go Mom and Dad!

KK--Hmm. I had never thought about a private OS actually being willing to do a payment plan, but it certainly is something to ask about when I go for the consult. Maybe he'll take pity on me...if he doesn't, I'll shoot some puss at him or something!! :twisted:

Okay, yeah. That was a really gross thing to say! Blah. I guess what is is and I should stop feeling sorry for myself and my financial nothingness and just start trying to solve my problems! But feeling sorry for myself is so much easier! :roll:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Echo

#9 Post by Echo »

I had the same exact problem. I was in my early twenties, and my wisdom teeth were impacted, but causing no problem at all.....until they started erupting. Then I got the whole infection thing like you, and that is the only reason I had to have them removed. I was put to sleep for the procedure, and I was miserable afterward. Luckily, I have always had dental insurance so that wasn't an issue. Now I have even better dental insurance that paid for half of my braces!
[/url]

spragers

#10 Post by spragers »

I had mine out in high school.. All four impacted and cut out. NOT fun. Felt absolutely miserable for a week. BUT remember you 'll only have to go through this once :D

IndyBraceFace

#11 Post by IndyBraceFace »

Definitely ask if you can do a payment plan. You might also check your health insurance and see if they will cover any of it. It's a stretch, but you never know!