Metal spacers anyone?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NotBob1

Metal spacers anyone?

#1 Post by NotBob1 »

So I did do a search but could not come up with my scenario. I have eight metal spacers between my molars. They are little pieces of wire that have been coiled into a spring on one side. Picture a "U" sideways with the bottom of the "U" being coiled into a tiny spring to give force for the legs of the "U" to push away from each other.

One came out. They went in on the 10th. I fished it back in, but it doesn't seem to sit exactly like the others. Do these things loose their spring once they are out? Possibly I ruined it fishing it in and now it is useless?

I already left a message with the office, I just don't have the time tomorrow to go in and Wednesday is the day for the molar bands.
I am not going to risk it, so if they say to come in, I'll have to make the time.

Anyone else had this happen with a metal spacer? I read alot about the ligature type of spacers....
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

I started out with metal spacers, the rubber ones didn't fit in between.
Haven't had a problem with them coming out or loosen.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Dreamer

#3 Post by Dreamer »

Yes I had the same thing happen with one of my metal ones. It wouldn't go back in the same again..it did seem like something happened with the spring action. If you don't have another appt within the next few days I would call and go in for them to fix it!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

Jesslzz 01

#4 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

How funny...I posted the same question a while ago about the metal spacers...

I think that my metal wire spacers are different from the ones you are describing, but yes, one of them fell off too. Apparently they work faster than the regular, plastic ones, even though they are way more uncomfortable (at least mine are, I'm still wearing two)

Don't worry, the ortho will put it back on... :wink: Good luck on the rest of your journey!

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

NotBob1

#5 Post by NotBob1 »

Yes, I was told once they pop out, they are done. I now have the molar bands in, though two were too tight to do. So I am waiting for some space on those.

Thanks for the responses!
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.