Brushing in public???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MsTiaLia

Brushing in public???

#1 Post by MsTiaLia »

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I am a huge germ-a-phob, so the thought of brushing my teeth in a public restroom makes me want to gag! I am getting braced in the morning and I don't know how to deal with this outside of only eating when I am at home...and since I commute to work, that might not be a great idea. I would appreciate any advice.

MsTiaLia

MsTiaLia

#2 Post by MsTiaLia »

I know what you mean, but I did warn you that I am a germ-a-phob :oops: . On top of that, I know some of the nasty behind people I work with! Ewww! There has got to be a way I can brush my teeth without going into the bathroom cuz I don't think I'm gonna get over it. I've been like this for 25 years now :cry:

alexa

#3 Post by alexa »

Well, maybe you can just not brush away from home...maybe carry some of those denta-pik things, and just get all of the really gross stuff out of your braces in the bathroom, and then leave the real cleaning until later.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

dena

#4 Post by dena »

I have a really unusual schedule because I'm a student and can be home off and on all day. But, so far, I haven't brushed anywhere but my home. I've only been out to eat once though and came home right after finishing, so I brushed then. Maybe your schedule will work out like this sometimes.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Eleni

#5 Post by Eleni »

MsTiaLia wrote:I know what you mean, but I did warn you that I am a germ-a-phob :oops: . On top of that, I know some of the nasty behind people I work with! Ewww! There has got to be a way I can brush my teeth without going into the bathroom cuz I don't think I'm gonna get over it. I've been like this for 25 years now :cry:
Where else can you find a sink or major water source when it's not located in your home or a public bathroom? I wouldn't try a public fountain.

Then get ready to use your dental pick or proxi-brush on your teeth at the restaurant table or your office desk, and then swish and spit with water into your cup. Finish up with your lipstick and you are good to go.

Have you sought any treatment or assistance for your phobia?
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

missing_tooth

#6 Post by missing_tooth »

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I am a huge germ-a-phob, so the thought of brushing my teeth in a public restroom makes me want to gag!
Glad I'm not alone on this one. I'm not a germ-a-phob. However, public facilities are the nasty. Some very unsanitary people out there. Ever stopped at a public restop? Groddy!!! I've been thinking about it, and I may use the restroom. However, I will keep bottled water with me for brushing.

You gals have it easy, you can carry a purse for all your extra stuff. What am I supposed to do, wear a fanny pack? lol

- Missing Tooth -

MsTiaLia

#7 Post by MsTiaLia »

Ooh, that bottled water thing may work for me! I do have my own office. Even if I didn't though, I would rather do it in my office than a public bathroom. I really don't care what others think (which is probably evident by me getting braces as an adult :lol: ).

As for getting treatment, I have not. My issues don't really extend beyond thinking public restrooms (and some people's private restrooms) are gross. And there aren't too many therapists who see a problem with that :lol:

Missing_Tooth, I am so glad I'm not the only one also!

Thanks All

butterfly

#8 Post by butterfly »

Since eating outside is inevitable for me brushing after eating outside is inevitable. Even if there is no food stuck I don't want to smell from my mouth after eating. I hate to be unwashed with braces and expander. It's just not comfortable.

When eating outside I go to the bathroom twice: Once before the meal to remove the expander, and another time afterwards to brush the teeth and put the expander back inside. This is working fine so far.

When going out I look for places with comfortable facilities and remember them. The "luxury facility" is a handicapped toilet that is equipped with a private sink and mirror. These are the best spots to brush! You find them in malls - no problem. The next best solution is a toilet that has a mini sink inside the booth. After 2 months of practicing I even learned how to brush inside a booth with a toilet seat only using a water bottle and a make up mirror. In a fancy restaurant while all dressed up with make up and stuff I am too ashamed to brush in public!

I always carry these items in my handbag:

- Tiny water bottle
- V-cut brush with an interdental brush inside
- Tiny tooth paste
- Make up mirror
- Dental mirror
- Expander case
- Plastic hook to pop out the expander without breaking a nail ;)
- Emergency straws for soda
- Swiss army knife styled camping tools to eat burgers (looks so big on that pic but it is actually tiny when folded!)
- Wax just in case ;)

Works fine so far :)
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

user

#9 Post by user »

There's really no reason to be so germ-phobic. I think s lot of people are these days largely because of the companies making cleaning products pushing to create a market for themselves in order to sell us their germ killing goods.

If your not exposed to germs then you don't build up a good imune system.

I'd be much more worried about the irritants and toxins in all the germ killing products then I would be about the average germ :D

So maybe the solution is to adjust your mindset....

Perhaps you could even get involved in your office's take a germ to work day? :wink:

MsTiaLia

#10 Post by MsTiaLia »

Take a germ to work day...Ha, ha! That's cute. I'm aware of the marketing ploys of the many companies out there, but they have no effect on the way I feel about public bathrooms. I'm just grossed out from what I can see and smell when I go in there!!! Have you ever been in a public women's restroom??? I think many men would be shocked that women who look so pulled together could be so disgusting.

MsTiaLia

Eleni

#11 Post by Eleni »

butterfly wrote:I always carry these items in my handbag:
:shock: COOL!!!!

As someone above said, germs are actually a good thing. We need them to build the immune system and fight off the bigger badder stuff. If you think public restrooms are bad, what do you think the kitchens of these restaurants look like? If you REALLY take it too far, no one would walk out of their front door. You need to let it go. Wash your hands often after you touch things and you are good....really.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

missing_tooth

#12 Post by missing_tooth »

If you think public restrooms are bad, what do you think the kitchens of these restaurants look like?
I have thought about this. Have you ever got a quick glimps of a not so hygenic cook? Don't kid yourself about what goes on back in those kitchens. I eat out a lot and try not to think about it. If you can see the cooks don't look for too long. You'll envariably see them wipe their nose or head or something. Seen it a dozen time.

- Missing Tooth -

butterfly

#13 Post by butterfly »

user wrote:There's really no reason to be so germ-phobic.
This is not the point - at least not for me. I smell from the mouth if I don't brush after eating because food does get stuck in the fine metalwork. Especially the expander gets a nasty odor if I don't clean it properly.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

MsTiaLia

#14 Post by MsTiaLia »

KK wrote:I'm an OTT toilet cleaner ...
Hi KK,
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does OTT stand for?

NotBob1

#15 Post by NotBob1 »

Just chiming in on this one.

I have one of the DentaKits and so far I have carried it with me when I go out. I have used it at a couple of spots, one being the bathroom at my wife's office, no problem there as it was clean....Very clean.

Then I was at Pacific Place, (a mall around here) ate at one of the restaurants upstairs and proceeded to the restroom. This restroom is for the whole mall, not just the restaurant. The restroom wasn't too bad, but I just couldn't get myself to do it. I thought maybe it was because others were coming and going, but it really was because it just wasn't that clean.

I am a bit of a clean freak and I really don't like public restrooms, but I use them all of the time. I'm one of the people that takes an extra towel after washing my hands to open the door as I am leaving.

I suppose I am just going to have to break down and do it. I know I can't stand not brushing after eating.... Funny how the braces change this! I used to only brush at night before bed and in the A.M.

I don't think you are alone MsTiaLia.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.