Finally taking the leap

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Harpua

Finally taking the leap

#1 Post by Harpua »

Well, I've been lurking around this board for some time now. I'm 29 years old and have pretty bad crowding my front teeth top and bottom. My parents just didn't have the $ back when treatment was probably most appropriate. I was able to get my wisdom teeth removed my senior year of high school, but college then became the priority and even with scholarships, grants, financial aid, going to a private school was quite a financial strain on my folks. I've now mustered up the courage to see an orthodonist and put my teeth on display. I had records done and then had a consultation appointment. I have a pretty narrow arch, but am opting out of surgery due to costs and professional concerns. I'm sure the result will still be quite dramatic - there is a lot of opportunity for improvement. I was referred for a periodontal evaluation and got a big thumbs up just yesterday - thank god I'll still be able to afford a solution. I'm about to schedule an appointment now with my general dentist to discuss my 4 extractions, and have a cleaning, and general evalutaion (other than my wisdom teeth removal, I haven't been to a dentist since I was about 10 years old) I am assuming (and hoping) that I don't have any major issues as no one has mentioned cavities or other problems thus far. It would show up on X-rays wouldn't it? Surely the periodontist would mention any glaring issues? I'll have to have my extractions done, wait a week, have spacers put in, wait a week, have some kind of fitting for a device that connects 2 molar bands, wait a week, and then get the braces on - at least thats what they told me today on the phone - this is going to be a scheduling nightmare at work. I want to be sure that I have a bit of recovery time for anything that will be a nuisance, but I need to minimize my time out of the office and I have a feeling that my appointments won't be as convenient as I would like. I still haven't told anyone at work that I'm doing this! Anyhow, I'd just like to say that I REALLY appreciate this board and had I not come across it, I probably would not be taking this leap. I feel so much more informed after spending hours reading the posts and it is calming to know this resource is here for me as I start this process.

Kell

#2 Post by Kell »

Best of luck to you. I agree that this board is a wealth of information.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

IndyBraceFace

#3 Post by IndyBraceFace »

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Harpua

Spacers and bands

#4 Post by Harpua »

OK, so I'm trying to get my appointments in order. Looks like my dentist is probably going to do my extractions over 2 seperate appointments. My question is 'Do spacers need to be placed only to make room for molar bands?' I'm getting bands on the top with some sort of fitted device that connects them together. I'm wondering if I can get my spacers in the same day if I get my top extractions first and then I could get the other extractions done before the fitting for the molar bands and connecter. I'm ready to get this going!