Got my Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missing_tooth

Got my Braces

#1 Post by missing_tooth »

Ok, so it's finally done. I've got my braces. It started by waking up at 6:30 with 3 hours of sleep and a pretty strange dream. Despite my tiredness I pushed forward to get ready for my appointment, looking my best as I know it's going to be picture day. Eat some cereal, brush my teeth, gather a few things I need to take with me and I'm on my way.

After signing in they soon call me back. Walking back I say to the assistant, "here we go". She lead me back to a room to take pictures and casually ask me, "how are you about impressions?". "I was going to talk to you about that, imagine your worst patient, I'm gunna be worse" I replied. She shoots some photos and informs me were doing impressions in the back room to make me more comfortable. ( Really it was a , so other patients and people waiting don't have to see or hear you. ) But I'm cool. I use my cough spray to numb my mouth. Bottom teeth, no problemo. Top teeth I gagged a couple times but I kept my mouth open as she held the mold in. So much easier than in the past. The worst part was over.

Now it was time for the molar band. Unfortunately, she couldn't get it on all the way. My teeth were just too tight together. With a bit a pushing tugging and me biting, we got it on. Yet the band was too big vertically and needed to be ground down. Next up, the brackets. Lip spreads, don't be fooled by the pictures you've seen, they aren't that bad. She applies the etching and then the brackets, the doctor comes over and find adjusts the brackets, followed by a light curing.

What color would you like? Yes I had wanted something bright and super cool. I'm not sure if it was the relaxing tone of the bold blue, or stress. I ended up choosing a strait blue. She did offer pink and red for valentines day. I did however respectfully decline. As she puts the wire in place with the ligs I can feel the tension immediately. Followed by a, how to clean your teeth session.

That was it. That's what I had been stressing about so badly? Seems I was all worried and worked up over nothing. Driving home however I looked in my rear view and smiled. It was beautiful. I loved it, and I loved my smile. Yes, I'm still missing that tooth, but it fades in to the background with the braces. Yes, I love my smile.

I'll post a better pic later, kind of hard to take a photo of yourself

- Missing Tooth -

Aurelia

#2 Post by Aurelia »

Wow - your braces look kool on you and they also look like the same ones I am having next week.

Your post gave me some strength, I too have been stressing and worrying and am pretty tired from lack of sleep and bad dreams, its all a case of stepping into the unknown really and thats always fearful.

How long have they told you you've gotta wear em?

Thanks missing tooth and good luck on your journey.

:D
All good things come to those that wait

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

Wow - your braces look kool on you
Thanks
its all a case of stepping into the unknown really and thats always fearful
The unknown is probably 80% of our fears.
How long have they told you you've gotta wear em?
I was told 2 to be optimistic, but realistically 3.

Good luck to you Aurelia.

- Missing Tooth -

gemini

#4 Post by gemini »

Yeee!

Welcome to having braces!
My experience wasn't yet nearly as bad (painful) as I thought it would be, or maybe I am just speaking too soon :?:

Since I was braced 2 days ago, I found out that wax has become my mouth's best friend, and it should be everywhere: purse, car, school bag, etc. My mouth's 2nd best friend is the Peroxyl. My braces' foe is the floss, they just don't get along very well.

--- edit
Sorry, I deleted the pic.
I have yet to discover how I can resize it...

momof2grlz

#5 Post by momof2grlz »

Congratulations on starting your journey! Keep the wax, advil and soft foods handy for the next few days (just in case) and you'll be fine. Just keep thinking how beautiful your smile will be when you're finished.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Kell

#6 Post by Kell »

Hooray! I'm glad that you are so happy and that it wasn't as bad as you thought. They look great in the picture. I like the blue.

I had a good experience too. I will post about it in a separate thread and include pictures later when I have more time.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

IndyBraceFace

#7 Post by IndyBraceFace »

Congrats! You should think about starting a blog. It was something I did that I've found very helpful!

Marzipan

#8 Post by Marzipan »

Congrats on getting braced!

Like you, I didn't find lip spreaders to be bad at all. Also like you, I like my smile with the braces.

Having had one "adjustment," I can state that removal of the ligatures and the old wire was no big deal at all. Then when the new wire went in and wire ties were put on, there was that feeling of tightness again. It faded rather quickly.

It's been 2 days and I feel excellent. I even have a rubber band in my mouth now and don't mind it at all.

missing_tooth

#9 Post by missing_tooth »

Congrats! You should think about starting a blog. It was something I did that I've found very helpful!
I did just that :)

Here it is.

http://surfin-john.blogspot.com/

- Missing Tooth -

butterfly

#10 Post by butterfly »

It's so amazing that almost every day someone is starting their journey on this board :) Welcome and good luck to all of you!
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Kimmy

#11 Post by Kimmy »

Congratulations!

I can't wait until it's my turn :)

alexa

#12 Post by alexa »

Congrats! 8)
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

drazda

#13 Post by drazda »

All I have to say is... Congratulations!! :)
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

jrbecca

#14 Post by jrbecca »

Way to go, missing tooth! Your braces look fantastic and I love the blue ligs! I'll be checking out your blog very soon!

Again, congratulations!

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

Aurelia

#15 Post by Aurelia »

Hey Missing Tooth - how long did it take for you to get your upper brace on? just wondering how long approx I am going to be in the chair for.

Cheers and thanks for the good luck :D

:D