My new braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kell

My new braces

#1 Post by Kell »

I finally have some time to post about getting my braces today. It really went quickly and I'm happy to say that so far they don't feel quite as bad as I thought they would. It's definitely strange having all this stuff in your mouth but I expected worse.

The entire bracing took less than an hour. For the most part it wasn't too bad. The hardest part was getting springs/coils put on. There are 3 on the lower teeth. It took two people to get them on and there were all kinds of wires hanging out of my mouth from the wire ties on the brackets with the springs. Good thing there wasn't anyone there taking my picture.

I have ceramics on the top six teeth right in the front and the rest are all metal. I can't tell that the ceramics are any bigger than the metal. I wanted black and blue ligs on the bottom but with all the springs most brackets have wire ties. She was able to give me one black and one blue so I'm happy with that.

As the day goes on my teeth are aching more and more and I'm getting a headache. I was warned that the springs/coils are going to really make me hurt. I have no idea how I'm going to floss with all those springs everywhere. It was almost impossible to get floss between those teeth before the braces.

I am going to start a web page to document my journey but since I haven't gotten that far yet I'll show you here what's going on so far. Click on the thumbnail to see a larger view.

My braced smile:

Here's another view:

And another (can you see all the springs on the bottom?):
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Jade

#2 Post by Jade »

Congrats Kell!
I found myself wondering how you were doing, since I was reading a lot on the forum yesterday!
I'm glad that everything went well, and your braces look awesome!

Cissa

#3 Post by Cissa »

I've got a spring on my bottom row, also. Be sure to take extra care when you brush in that area because I've ripped up the bristles a few times before.

Flossing is easier than you think, it just takes some extra effort to squeeze the stuff in there.

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Kelly,

Congratulations on getting your braces. I'm glad the process went smoothly. Your braces look great! You will be amazed at how quickly your teeth will move into alignment.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Granola

#5 Post by Granola »

Happy brace day! Your braces look great. Do you happen to know what brand of ceramics you have? My teeth have a similar amount of crowding as yours, so I'll be curious to see your progress (I get my braces on in two weeks.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

missing_tooth

#6 Post by missing_tooth »

Congrads Kelly!!

As I'm sure you've heard from many other. This will all be worth it!

- Missing Tooth -

Nikkiekoala

#7 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Congrats!!! You look marvelous with braces.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

Kell

#8 Post by Kell »

Flossing is easier than you think, it just takes some extra effort to squeeze the stuff in there.
I got through the flossing last night. The top was okay but the bottom is near impossible. It's always been hard to do and with the braces, wires, and springs it's really, really hard. Just now I just noticed some floss stuck in one of the springs. I can feel it but can't see it. I need to go and dig that out now.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Kell

#9 Post by Kell »

Granola wrote:Do you happen to know what brand of ceramics you have?
No, I don't know. I meant to ask but with everything going on I forgot. I want to know as well so I will try to remember at my 1st adjustment appointment. That is in 6 weeks.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Marzipan

#10 Post by Marzipan »

My advice - take some pain meds now. Don't wait for pain. That way, you may head it off and you won't suffer and be unhappy.

Re: flossing, consider a waterpik. I still floss, but the waterpik makes my mouth feel nice and clean. When flossing is hard, I'm sure the waterpik helps.

My tech gave me a kiddie toothbrush, small and soft. It is great for brushing in tight spaces, and because it is soft, I rock it back and forth so that the bristles get under the archwire (and in your case the coils and springs) and get food particles out.

Best of luck!