When your lips are completely relaxed, do they touch?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ilmank

When your lips are completely relaxed, do they touch?

#1 Post by ilmank »

Mine don't, and I was wondering if there was anything wrong with that.

Geri

#2 Post by Geri »

Hi ilmank. No, mine don't either since I have the braces. I have to make a small effort to close them or there is a little gap. I think this is normal, given that there is all this ceramic in the way, and things will go back to normal once they are removed.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

Svensk Tiger

#3 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Mine don't, they never have done as I have an openbite. I'm having jaw surgery this year which will correct it. Don't worry though, as Geri said it's probably just the braces that are causing it. I would imagine that your ortho would have said if it was caused by a skeletal openbite.
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

Anticipator

#4 Post by Anticipator »

Not at the moment.

Mostly because I cannot close my jaw all the way, but partially because of the extra distance the brackets add to the mix.

On my first day with braces my girlfriend was flattering enough to let me know I look even more like Napolean Dynamite because I was now mouth breathing. :evil:

EDIT: wanted to clarify that it's because of tooth movement from braces that my jaw isn't closing all the way. I previously was able to.
Last edited by Anticipator on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Bianca

#5 Post by Bianca »

Nope.... but then again they never have, love those overjet upper teeth!

I was just thinking about that on my drive in to work, I am assuming when my upper teeth have been pulled back in two years my lips will be able to close and be relaxed, but I can't even imagine what that will be like.

It's strange to think about.

It's a two year process.......

Natasha_26

#6 Post by Natasha_26 »

Mine dont as well :( . My Ortho said that it will be the same after my braces are off too becoz the problem is with my lip rather than my teeth.

Upper and Lower Ceramics

camille4824

#7 Post by camille4824 »

I never really thought about this until you mentioned it....now that you have I have realized they don't touch....hopefully that will change....once the brackets come off---they seem HUGE to me lately :roll:
Pendulum worn 10/12/04 until 4/19/05
Braced on top 1/19/05
Bottom braced 4/19/05
Damon 3 brackets

drazda

#8 Post by drazda »

Mine do not close, I have an overbite. I don't think they'll close after the braces come off either, but after my braces come off, I'll want everyone to see my teeth!
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

ilmank

#9 Post by ilmank »

I had braces several years ago. Because I didn't wear my retainer as perscribed, there was crowding in my lower teeth so I got refitted just for the bottom. I got those braces off about a month ago. I guess I still have a small overbite, so that's why my smile still looks a bit awkward, but there's no way I'm getting braces for the upper teeth again. Oh well, such is life and genetics. Thanks for your responses, everyone.

Shawnie

#10 Post by Shawnie »

My lips stay open a little. They always closed before braces, so I know it's just all this stuff in my mouth. I can close them, but it fells more natural to have them open a little. ( It kind of brings my chin up in a funny way when closed all the way)
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

Shawnie

#11 Post by Shawnie »

My lips stay open a little. They always closed before braces, so I know it's just all this stuff in my mouth. I can close them, but it feels more natural to have them open a little. ( It kind of brings my chin up in a funny way when closed all the way)
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

dena

#12 Post by dena »

mine never did (my ortho said i had muscle strain in my face to close my lips before the braces because of the overbite). they still definitely don't with the braces, but with teeth removed now, they will soon! :)

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

aims

#13 Post by aims »

Mine close all the way, but seem to bulge out a little more than they used to.
January 16th, 2006- Tops And Bottoms

Leslie022

#14 Post by Leslie022 »

Mine close but they always have...
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Anna5

Re: When your lips are completely relaxed, do they touch?

#15 Post by Anna5 »

Mine don't close and I am afraid they also won't after braces.....