Tell me i'm just being paranoid!!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lucky_topher

Tell me i'm just being paranoid!!!!!

#1 Post by lucky_topher »

Okay, so they had to pull a tooth in order to pull my teeth back for my overbite... not one of the front two, but count 1, 2, third one not counting one of the front two... only did it on one side too....

well of course i have a gap the size of a freaking tooth!!!

now first i feel my mouth is going to be crooked

second i can't imagine how that gap can get filled up.. it's freaking huge!!!!!

now i realize the orthos are professionals, and that this is a common thing to happen... but man i just feel so... i dunno... it's scary

just tell me i'm being paranoid and that gaps the size of entire HUGE TOOTH get filled up... and that even though it's only one side that had one pulled they won't be uneven :(

dena

#2 Post by dena »

I think you'll be fine. I had an even number of extractions, so I can't speak for balance. But, I'm definitely nervous about filling my gaps, too! Everyone on this board has attested to the fact that they fill without problem. Once the gaps were in my teeth, I began to question it too, but I think it will work out!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

kirst1583

#3 Post by kirst1583 »

Yes - they will definitely close.
I thought the same as you at 1st ... I had these 4 gigantic extraction gaps and couldn't see how they would possibly disappear. 2 and 1/2 years into my treatment and they are almost all closed! (of course that could go a lot quicker 4 u, I think my teeth are just slow)
So yeah, try not to worry. I'm sure it'll all work out fine! :thumbsup:

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Well, I had four "freaking huge" gaps and they all closed just fine. I know it seems almost impossible, but it does happen! It's "freaking amazing!" :wink:
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

littleshaddies

#5 Post by littleshaddies »

Yup, I have four gaps too. They started to get significantly smaler so I know they will close. Imagine the shock of four huge tooth size gaps and feel better that you only have one.
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Gel

#6 Post by Gel »

I hear they will close, I'm nervous too, I just got my powerchains and my bottom gaps are so huge, for the ortho to get the chain to stay on they had to use what he called a pigtail. I'm nervous, but I trust him, so hopefully it works out for all of us!

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

Bracefaced

::bump::

#7 Post by Bracefaced »

lucky_topher: you and I may be in the same boat!

I'm only getting one first bicuspid (on my right side) extracted for crowding and an overbite...

I'm getting that one tooth "pulled" today actually...i'm so nervous!!!

I'm also afraid of the same things you are: having an uneven smile/midline as a result of an odd numbered extraction...
Its so common to have an even number of teeth pulled for symmetry that your ortho recommending you go outside of the box is nerve wrecking :o

But I figure in the end, they are professionals and know what's best for each and every patient...and he/she wouldnt recommend anything that will leave you with a worse smile than you started out with. :lol:

I guess since you and I may be in the minority on this site with asymettrical extractions, we should show our progress so others who may be jumping on our ship as well can be put at ease... :wink:

lucky_topher

#8 Post by lucky_topher »

good idea.. i'll take pics later!