pointy bits in my cheeks?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Way Too Old For This

#16 Post by Way Too Old For This »

One of the hooks on my back brackets was catching my cheek so bad that I took the end of my toothbrush and bent it so it was closer to my gum. Fixed that problem.

I'm not talking about that tube like thing with the hole for head gear, just the hook for elastics.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

bbsadmin

#17 Post by bbsadmin »

Gobbing some wax on it would help, too.

But remember, if the end your arch wire is poking into the back of your cheek, that is no good. It means that the wired should get clipped. The end of your arch wire should never poke you. If it does, see your ortho immediately or you will suffer needlessly.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

jenns91civic

#18 Post by jenns91civic »

Can you imagine if the ortho had to stock every size band in every possible combination of attachments or lack thereof? They would need a warehouse the size of Texas just to store bands in! They make them like they do to serve a majority, the same way McDonalds thinks their medium soda cup is big enough for everyone who doesn't want to supersize, whereas jack in the box's medium is the size of mcd's large!

Can you tell I'm hungry--and thirsty? lol

Seriously though, ask your ortho what it is that is poking you. Your picture is too blurry to tell you much. If you won't be needing whatever it is that is poking you, maybe your ortho can file it off or cover it with clear cement as other posters have suggested. In the mean time, wax it up. Your mouth will toughen up over time, hang in there.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

jimbo

#19 Post by jimbo »

it's not the end of the band - they clip the end of the band off, that's not the problem at all.

It's perfectly formed little hooks pointing upward, which would probably be used to attach little rubber bands to opposing hooks on the lower teeth, except I'm not having that kind of work

No, I still feel like there's consumer apathy in this area! Some guy sticks his hands in your mouth & what he does nobody knows! But this website is a help for people to become educated

I'm sure they're unnecessary hooks! I'm not in agony, and I'm a lot more comfortable since a few days has passed, but I would be more comfortable without them :)

Lucifina

#20 Post by Lucifina »

Hiya Jimbo! :-1 If you are talking about the hook in the back I know your pain! I looked up orthodontic suppliers online and they make those things w/metal balls on the end so as not to irritate. Mine...and I am assuming yours has no such nicety :roll: I guess we are only the patients so what so we know. Unfortunately for those in the medical/dental industry the consumer is armed w/the internet. I don't see why they would even put such horrible pain inflicting devices in our mouths when they have the exact same thing that they can buy only a bit more comfortable. There is usually a few cents difference and I assume they buy in bulk. Granted I am not an ortho so maybe that little ball of metal that causes comfort would totally ruin all of the work on the teeth. If not though, I just don't get it. I mean when you are paying thousands of dollars should you expect comfort for a few cents. Oh well. I tried wax on my hook and it was a futile attempt :-+ I finally gave up as the hook was so sharp that it sliced through the wax. I am now use to them and the only time they bother me is when I wake up and find my cheeks are stuck to them. :x
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

Lucifina

#21 Post by Lucifina »

I have pics up on my site of the offending hook! :evil: My cheeks get caught on them!
Jimbo, is your hook issue still doing better? Mine does not bother me all the time but at random times it does. :roll: It is weird. Like I will wake up w/my cheek caught! I will ask my ortho about the purpose for my specific treatment plan though at my next adjustment...I don't want to bother him w/too many questions when he fits me in for a wire clip as they are so busy, but at my appointment I will certainly ask. :D
~Luci~ Image
UpdatedSiteImage

sydsmom

#22 Post by sydsmom »

Aaaghhh!! The HOOK! The dreaded, awful hook! I'm impressed you got a pic of that, Lucifina -- my cheek won't go that far back. That's just what mine looks like though and it's causing horrific pain. Pokes right through the wax, but I've just been globbing it on and it's helped tremendously. I get the same thing in the a.m., too...and spend a couple seconds peeling my cheek away from the darned things. OUCH!

awsome website by the way :-)

Flora2006

#23 Post by Flora2006 »

same for me...i have that little ball too and it's not causing me any problems, thankfully

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Lucifina

#24 Post by Lucifina »

Well good to know for when I talk to my ortho because mine most certainly does not have the ball :shock: I am gonna be like look here is the 2 cents please splurge and get the hook w/the metal ball :roll: ...as that is what the difference amounts to when you buy in bulk...yeah I am nuts and look up ortho supplier sites :wink: although I could just have weird cheeks too, that get up and jump on the hooks! :D
~Luci~ Image
UpdatedSiteImage