Interesting Article about Tooth Whitening and Hollywood

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Juliet

Interesting Article about Tooth Whitening and Hollywood

#1 Post by Juliet »

Interesting comments about "over-whitening". http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182447,00.html

Anticipator

#2 Post by Anticipator »

Not that I don't agree with the article, but it really didn't have anything to say. It was entirely an opinion piece with only one real opinion: "it looks fake, and it's popular."

They tried to sneak in some health related subject matter but really had nothing important to use for concerns.

Poor journalism as usual from Fox.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

Interesting article! Thanks for posting! I hope that soon that perfect fake white picket teeth trend will go down because quite frankly, very few members of the general public have the money, (or a low enough IQ) to replace perfectly good teeth with fake blindingly white veneers.

Not that I'm against veneers, in fact I think they are very good for people who actually need them, ie chipped or abnormally small teeth, but I mean Hilary Duff? Come on....what kind of example is that setting for the youth of America? 'If you don't like your teeth? That's okay, just grind them down to nubs and stick fake porcelain veneers over them to avoid going through a couple years in braces and/or more natural fixes that may not come out quite as 'perfect'.

mmmmmm.....l-a-z-y

~Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

luxekitty

#4 Post by luxekitty »

I'm pro braces but I can see WHY these stars, especially young ones, would get veneers. If your getting big at 15 and your teeth are blah are you going to waste what maybe your most "productive" years as a teen star in braces?? Throw on the quick fix and start making that money, I know if I was in there shoes that's exactly what I'd do.

But...I'mnot a star, so gooo braces! :)
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cissa

#5 Post by Cissa »

From that distance, if you ask me, Tom Cruise looks more natural. I think the overdone fake tans really add to the whiteness and scariness of celeb's teeth.

It's like getting white and orange ligs. Neat colors together in theory, but not when placed on a human. Well, not in my case at least.

Chocoholic

#6 Post by Chocoholic »

There was a news article recently saying Victoria Beckham might have to have some of her teeth replaced as they're crumbling due to over whitening. Apparently she has it done about 4 times a year and it's weakened her teeth to the point where they're just falling to bits - urgh not good!

braceface1230

#7 Post by braceface1230 »

Reminds me of the episode of "Friends" when Ross whitened his teeth. They were so bright, they would actually glow in the dark! Funny stuff actually.

braceface1230

#8 Post by braceface1230 »

Whoops, I see at the bottom of the article they mentioned that. :oops:

HollyDontSpend

ha

#9 Post by HollyDontSpend »

There is this one boxing commentator on Showtime that has teeth so bright they look radioactive! LOL!
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

hollywood_smile

#10 Post by hollywood_smile »

good one!

hilary duff got them coz she was hitted with microphone, dont remember if it was at a crowded interview or concert, but thats why, she had good teeth. ok.....i sound like a fan :oops: ......

i hope the extra exagerated blinding white cools down, i hate hate hate! fake smiles!! 8)
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

ingyandbert

#11 Post by ingyandbert »

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with veneers for people who really need them or who for some reason are unable to go through with braces. The article said Hilary Duff had 4 chipped teeth right in front, so maybe the veneers were a good choice for her. But I have a friend who talked about getting veneers and she didn't need them. Her dentist talked her out of it and gave her Invisaligns instead (which tells you right there her problems were only mimimal, since Invisaligns can't be used for moderate to severe tooth straightening). As for the guy in the article who had small teeth with spacing problems, he probably wouldn't have been as happy after braces as he was with his veneers. Obviously, he feels much more attractive and confident, so I can't say he made the wrong choice.

When it comes to whitening, I agree too white looks ridiculous. In fact, some blindingly white teeth almost have a blue tint to them which looks odd. I think the color should be matched to the person's overall coloring. I have auburn hair, dark brown eyes, and a golden skin tone. Obviously, with all the gold in my coloring very white teeth would look ridiculous on me. My teeth would have to stay in a more ivory range in order to look natural. In fact, when I'm done with my braces I'm going to have my teeth professionally whitened. My dentist and I have already discussed it and the color we chose is only a couple of shades lighter than my natural shade. My smile will look a bit brighter, but no way will it be white-white.