Slid into a funk

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bianca

Slid into a funk

#1 Post by Bianca »

Has anyone found that they kind of slid into a funk after getting braces?

I was braced about 1.5 weeks ago, and I have been in a weird space ever since the spacers went in. I'm guessing it has to do with all the emotional junk that prompted getting braces, but it's really annoying.

And it's harder to speak with confidence right now. The TPA makes it so many of my words sound funny (I work closely with our shipping department, and have to talk with our customer service dept about shipping stuff... I can't even say the word ship... argh!) I am the lead on a couple projects that my company is working on, and it is so hard for me to sound authoritative right now.

Of course - I deliberately got braces at this point because I feel pretty solid in my employment and in my marriage... it just seems to be doing a number on my self confidence.

Braces are a good thing, I know they are, and it was the right decision - I'm just having a couple weeks of feeling sorry for myself.

*grin* Maybe I need a internet forum for pulling myself out of a self-pity trip! :)

It's a two year process.......

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi Bianca,

I just had my upper expander placed on 1/20/06. On that day I did have a slight problem with speaking. In regards to eating, I know what I can/can't eat but removing the food from the expander and next time braces too, is a challenge (but not frustrating, just something else to do until I get my expander and braces off). I won't get my braces for about 3 months. In regards to speaking, on the very first day, I just had a slight problem. I found that speaking slowly really helped. I'm not saying my speech is perfect now (2nd full day with expander) but I don't think a person can tell I have an expander in my mouth. The case may be different for you since you have braces also, but I just wanted to let you know what worked for me.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

Yea, those are normal, don't worry it'll get better. It's a lot new stuff to happen at once. I remember the first day I got them I was able to hold up most of the day but then I got home and my sister and I were outside and she was like, wow, I'm not used to seeing you witha silver smile. I guess that really did it for me...you realize it's permanent and I too slid into one of those feel-sorry-for-myself kind of funks. You realize just how much you're in for and that you can't take them out, but you know what? you just take it all one day at a time, that's the only way you really can, and you really get used to it all and it doesn't seem like such a big deal. The days will pass, and before you know it, braces will just become a part of you and when you look in the mirror, you won't notice them at all.

It'll get better, I promise! Keep your eyes on the prize

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Bianca

#4 Post by Bianca »

Thank you both so much for your responses -

ssfw - I honestly cannot say the word "ship" or any other "sh" word. Whether I am speaking slowly or quickly, the metal bar is exactly where my tongue would go for those words and it becomes very airy. :)

Evelyn - I think you nailed it! Thank you for your words, I feel a little more normal now. :) It was really entertaining for a couple days, and then suddenly I realized how long 2-3 years are.

One day at a time, we will all get there!

:)

It's a two year process.......

lsickinger

#5 Post by lsickinger »

I have had my braces on for almost 9 weeks, and just got spacers this week for molar bracket placement.

I was in a funk for about the first two weeks after I got them, thinking, "What have I done???!!!" I'm a professional, and I do a lot of interviewing, but I've gotten used to it because no one else seems to care..including my husband.

This week when the spacers went in I was in a funk again...I'm just resigned to this now, so it's not as bad. I'm keeping my eyes on the prize---the gorgeous smile I'll have in about 2-3 years.

Arggh! :roll:

Laine :)
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers; Braces went on 11/15/2005- Braces come off approx 4/08 (30 month est treatment)

krennen

#6 Post by krennen »

Bianca we were braced the same day and I know exactly what you are feeling. I still can't chew very much--not from pain--but because of the back teeth alignment. I have my first adjustment Feb 13 and none too soon. I have a LOT of questions--like when am I going to be able to eat meat again! The Ortho never mentioned that eating would be so hard. I did feel very self concious going out to dinner with a bunch of friends yesterday and all I could eat was a baked potato!! I also was a little depressed that everyone could eat the hard rolls and I couldn't--I love bread and rolls. I still have moments when I say to myself--what were you thinking and is this worth it? I have a feeling those moments may creep up again. I am SLOWLY getting used to a new normal of metal in my mouth and a diet of mushy food. I am just very glad to have found this website!!

Lyn

#7 Post by Lyn »

Hey :o
I just went through this FUNK a couple of weeks ago. I took a nice brisk walk and felt better later in the day. But, I continue to get comments from "little people" that they don't like my braces. WOW does that mess with one's self-esteem!!! :oops:

Also, the eating thing does get better. I now chomp down on just about anything. I did go through a period of time of not being able to eat much because of my bite. IT DOES get BETTER! :D [I think I lost about 6 lbs.]

So, hang in there! I really wish these things were off, but I know the light IS at the end of this tunnel!!!!!!

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

dkt3

#8 Post by dkt3 »

Dont know if this thought will help but I keep thinking everyday I am braced is one less than if I was starting again! I know its a bit silly, but it helps me reflect on how I hated my teeth before I got them. With those thoughts I am now seven months down!

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

Yeah same for me...I just keep thinking about my next adjustment...and that means 1 month less...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006