In a Royally Horrible Mood

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jrbecca

In a Royally Horrible Mood

#1 Post by jrbecca »

Ooh, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. The novelty of having braces is quickly wearing off. I'm tired of my colleagues asking about my braces - "When did you get them?" and "How long do they have to be on?" and "Are they painful?"

Last night, I kept biting my cheek (never happened before braces), so I didn't sleep well at all. If I didn't have a string of meetings today, I'd call in sick. :FeelSick:

And, I'm starving. I expected to not eat as much as usual with the braces on (a wonderful thing for a woman wanting to lose a few before her wedding), but I'm hungry so often. I went to bed hungry last night. I woke up hungry this morning. I'm not sure if I'm not getting enough protein, or just not enough food, but I'm very irritable over the whole thing. There's nothing I would love more right now than a big omelette for breakfast with a cup of hot cocoa to wash it down. :cry:

The only saving grace is that I've noticed some movement in my teeth. My most crooked front tooth is not as much anymore. The change is very subtle, but today, it's the only thing keeping me from ripping my braces off.

Sorry for the vent. I'm going to crawl under a rock and hide now until my debanding date in about 103 1/2 weeks. :paperbag:

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

Sorry to hear about the way you are feeling. We all know this is tough, we just gotta stick it out. You can make it.

- Missing Tooth -

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

It will get better! People will stop asking questions and you will get a handle on the food thing. FWIW I am still a few pounds thinner than I was when I started but I am maintaining well now.

I get in a horrible mood and it isn't even my braces! :-)

I think that an omelette and a hot chocolate sounds just like what the doctor ordered. Why don't you have one? Eggs are one of the easiest things for me to eat when my mouth is sore, which it sounds like yours still is after just 6 days. Hot chocolate sounds like a winner too!

I also like to eat peanut butter alot. It is high in protein and I eat it right out of the jar. If you get the creamy kind, nothing sticks to the brackets and you don't have to go digging stuff out of your teeth. I eat it between meals so I don't have to mess with brushing. (Don't go overboard or you could gain weight - 1-2 Tablespoons is more than enough).

Good luck and don't worry! (Be Happy)

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Feel better! I am on the same boat as you on and off...seeing movement really is motivation to continue.

Like it was said, eat that omellette and that hot cocoa...if you have a hard time chewing, at least drink that hot cocoa; it will make you feel better for sure :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Marzipan

#5 Post by Marzipan »

Buck up, you WILL get used it! I'm feeling just fine now. But three weeks ago I, too, wanted to rip them out. Keep going, keep going, it's going to be worth it.

tkais

#6 Post by tkais »

I feel your pain except I'm at the other end of my treatment and just want it to be over. Tired of wearing these braces, tired of food being stuck in them and tired of feeling them rub against my lips and cheeks.

Leslie022

#7 Post by Leslie022 »

I'm sorry about the pain...as far as getting the protein and all that good stuff, I recommend Carnation Instant Breakfast. It's got all the nutrients and tastes great!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

Leslie022 wrote:I'm sorry about the pain...as far as getting the protein and all that good stuff, I recommend Carnation Instant Breakfast. It's got all the nutrients and tastes great!
I agree...I have that everyday just to get some healthy stuff in my body...the strawberry one is awesome!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

sydsmom

#9 Post by sydsmom »

jrbecca, I totally feel your pain! I got mine the day before you...and the novelty is wearing thin. The pain in my cheeks and lips is just getting old, and i'm tired of all the questions and looks of absolute SHOCK from my clients (teenagers!). And, sitting through meetings and having to talk and be professional?? Ugh!! :-(

Just keep thinking that in a few years, when this is all behind you, you'll look back and hardly remember why it seemed so difficult at the time.

And when you're feeling your worst, take good care of yourself (I've been eating gobs of peanut butter and taking bubble baths), and try to remember that it's all uphill when you're at the bottom!! :-)

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

Hi jrbecca,

I am so sorry that you're having a difficult time and hope you feel better soon.

I agree with all of the posts. Yes, there are certain foods/beverages you can't eat when you have braces but I'm sure there are lots of foods left that you can choose from. What has worked for me is if it is something chewy, like meat, be sure to cut it into smaller pieces - it will make it so much easier to eat it. If you haven't already, you will find a favorite spot in your mouth to chew from. If you drink hot cocoa or another type of beverage just rinse your mouth when you're done. I truly think going back to "almost" your regular foods/beverage will make a difference in how you feel about the braces.

I promise you, the questions will stop - these questions are common. You will enjoy the questions when you are getting near the end of your ortho treatment.

Take care and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

3n1believer

#11 Post by 3n1believer »

Oh, jrbecca, I feel your pain! I got my braces on five days ago and have been walking around hungry all the time too! It makes me cranky too. :evil: But then last night I had sweet and sour meatloaf--it was so easy to eat I had three pieces and felt really full--for the first time since the evil envasion of my mouth. I have the feeling it will be a recipe I make over and over and over. Good luck!!!!!

Ceramic uppers and lowers
My 30th birthday present to myself was braces!

Lyn

#12 Post by Lyn »

Rebecca

It DOES get better..............I have lost almost 10 lbs. Not even trying. I just can't eat like I used to. It takes too much time..........and too much chewing! But as your bite adjusts you will find things that are easier than others to chew up and get down. :)

I am still getting those mood swings.......sometimes I get in a FUNK and just have to shake it, cause I know in the long run it will all be worth it. I just wish I hadn't waited until I turned 40 to make the decision!!!! :x Progress looks slow, but remember: the tissue and nerves that you can't see in your gums have to move as well as the bone and that all takes time.

So Cheer UP! :flowerbloom: We're ALL in this together!!!!!
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7