Curious....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

H Rogers

Curious....

#1 Post by H Rogers »

I'm just curious if anybody else has experienced this.....
I have had my lower braces on since November and every since I had my 2nd molar with the crown banded I have not been able to put pressure (chewing) on it without extreme soreness. :shock: I would think that would have gone away by now. Has anyone else experienced this?

BraceUrself

#2 Post by BraceUrself »

everyones time is different but for me, it took 3 months to feel "comfortable" chewing ANYTHING-Be patient-your time will come! Good luck! :D
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

H Rogers

#3 Post by H Rogers »

Thanks!
I went to the Orthodontist last week and mentioned that I was unable to apply any pressure to that one tooth and he did say that it was unusual to still have such a sore tooth. It turned out that the band one of the techs put over the crown was an improper fit :shock: and that was what was causing all the pain. Now that the band was changed I have noticed that I am already able to chew on it. :D

dena

#4 Post by dena »

you know what? my molars don't hurt like that, but my front teeth do. I had four teeth removed, so i forced myself to chew in the back behind the extractions. but, if i bite into something, it feels like my teeth are too weak to finish the bite--i just have to back out of it! are your teeth sore like this at all? like a weakness/sore? I dont know how else to describe that, but i ask because i've been wondering if i just kept forcing myself to take bites, if it would get better--like maybe we can make this soreness go away? anyway, just a ramble :)

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

chinadoll

Chewing Problems

#5 Post by chinadoll »

Boy, can I relate to this!! It's only been 3 full days since I got braced (upper and lower) but I still find it amazing how completely incapable I am of chewing. All I have been able to really eat so far has been soup, smoothies, scrambled eggs, and hot cereal. I tried chewing an olive and a piece of salami today, but it took me so long and was too painful. My ortho told me it might be painful, but wow! I wasn't expecting this. Luckily, the Joy of Cooking has some great soup recipes. My hubby calls me the "Gerber Baby" because essentially, anything I eat has to be pureed!! :lol:

I have teeth that are extremely tender when pressure is applied (like the pressure of chewing), but none of them are those back molars with the brackets like H Rogers. I'm a teacher, and my students and I have definitely bonded over this. They all tell me it will be better after a week, but I can't imagine!

So...DOES it get better?! Is it normal to have that pain when pressure is applied to certain teeth? I can't decide if it's bad to chew anyway, or if I should just press on! Brace Urself, I can't believe you couldn't chew for 3 months; that sounds terrible!

Dreaming of popcorn.... :D

P.S. How is everyone getting these cool tickers that show how long they've had braces, or how long they have to go?
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal

IndyBraceFace

#6 Post by IndyBraceFace »

chinadoll:

It gets easier every day. I was braced two weeks ago and just in the last few days have I upgraded to foods I actually chew. Boy, was I excited to eat a sandwich! It gets better every day, I promise.

Flora2006

Re: Chewing Problems

#7 Post by Flora2006 »

chinadoll wrote:

P.S. How is everyone getting these cool tickers that show how long they've had braces, or how long they have to go?
Go to TickerFactory.com... then you copy the code, go to your profile and past it in the appropriate box :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Kell

#8 Post by Kell »

chinadoll, I got my braces a couple of days ahead of you and my teeth are still tender too. There's no way I could bite into a sandwich or anything like that. Today I chewed on some bread just a little with my molars. I just want to keep trying. It's still really uncomfortable but every day is a bit better than the last and it hasn't been a week yet. My top teeth hit the bottom brackets so I don't see how I'll be able to chew normally though. My teeth don't touch at all now.

dena, what you described is how my front teeth feel right now.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

H Rogers

#9 Post by H Rogers »

Hi Dena! :)
Yes, my molar with the crown and the improper band was like a weakness/sore. :shock: I would try to chew on it and just like you I just couldn't even continue and would have to back out of it and switch to the other side. Boy now that the band got changed to a correct one the soreness is just about gone. :D

2oldtocare

#10 Post by 2oldtocare »

Hang in there....you will have different teeth hurting, not meeting etc all through the experience. I've had braces now 1 year, and the last adjustment has messed my bite up all together. They are using elastics to pull down one side of my upper arch to level it off, and things are hurting and I can't chew on one side. It's a trip. And the real fun starts Tuesday, I get to have a graft done on a front lower tooth! Hope I'm still good and numb when I head back to the ortho to get the lower wire put back on!!! Yikes! :shock:

Flora2006

#11 Post by Flora2006 »

2oldtocare wrote: Tuesday, I get to have a graft done on a front lower tooth! Hope I'm still good and numb when I head back to the ortho to get the lower wire put back on!!! Yikes! :shock:
What exactly is a graft?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

2oldtocare

#12 Post by 2oldtocare »

I have a root that is being exposed. I've had gum recession before, and have had 2 grafts done. This particular one, I believe is due to the braces. Have to let you know I'm 54 years old and this may have something to do with it also. They periodontist takes a small piece of tissue from your pallet and after cutting your gum open tucks the piece "graft" over the place they need to cover then takes the original gum tissue and covers it. At least that's how mine does it. then stitches it up. When it heals up, you can't tell it's any different than the rest of your gums. That's why it's so important to floss, etc and keep your gums healthy. Gingivitis, etc can also lead to heart disease if it is untreated, and left to go really bad.

chinadoll

Chewing

#13 Post by chinadoll »

Thanks guys, it is great to hear that it gets better. I think I've already noticed some improvements...anyway, I just take this as evidence that my teeth are busy moving.

Flora, thanks for helping me with my ticker!
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal