Raising / Saving Money to get braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jade

#16 Post by Jade »

What's so wrong with my parents and my boyfriend helping me?
They know this is something I need, and I told them about what I was doing and they said they would help.

missing_tooth

#17 Post by missing_tooth »

What's so wrong with my parents and my boyfriend helping me?
They know this is something I need, and I told them about what I was doing and they said they would help.
I'm going to start by saying all of the following is IMHO.
I'm 24 and managed to get my mom & her new hubby to pay my down deposit, and my boyfriend to pay a portion of the monthly payments( I think he might help me with half) Even I was surprised with my powers of persuation... hehehe
Read that statement to yourself. What does it sound like to you? ( Hint: it's the last line that really sets it off. )

Your 24 years old, if your parents want to help you well that's between you and them and thats fine I guess. ( Note: you used the word, "managed" ) Although I wouldn't have asked. It's not about if they will pay, or if they can pay. It's about being the age of self sufficiency and personal responsibility. Then there is the whole boyfriend issue. It's his money and he can do what he wants with it. This could however put unforeseen stress into the relationship. But really, why even ask? In short your post sounds all about evading responsiblity and getting others to foot your bill.

There are many people on this board who have no insurance and are footing the bill for both surgery and braces. Many of those people are your age and younger. Many of them had parents who could not or would not get treatment for them when they were younger.

I hope this isn't sounding too harsh, but it is something to think about. It's often a good idea to reread your posts to see how they could be precieved.

Best wishes

- Missing Tooth -

Jade

#18 Post by Jade »

I'm sorry Kimmy, that your post kinda took a detour because of me...
I hope that you can find a way to get the money you need :)

Good luck

IndyBraceFace

#19 Post by IndyBraceFace »

I would call around to different orthodontists and see what sort of payment plan you can arrange before even going in for a consult. If the office doesn't have something that suits your needs, you won't waste your time with them. I was surprised at how willing my orthodontist was to work out a payment plan with me even though he is one of the most popular in my hometown.

Kimmy

#20 Post by Kimmy »

Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty sure I found the orthodontist I want. He's very knowledgeable, has been doing this for years, and was $2,000 cheaper than the last orthodontist I went to see. My birthday was yesterday and I got some money as a gift. All the money has been put aside towards my orthodontics. I was actually thinking, I probably have a fair bit of time to raise this money. My first appoitnment for x-rays and such isn't until March 11th. After that they said I would have my official consultation, price quote etc. He let me get a good idea on what the price would be already though. I'm hoping he'll stay at that number. He mentioned he was leaning towards jaw surgery first, which would be done with an oral surgeon. There are only 2 oral surgeons on PEI so I might have a couple months of waiting. He said after that we'd see how I felt and look at possible braces. So I might have a few months depending on how booked the other doctors are.

I will definitely keep everyone posted. :)

dena

#21 Post by dena »

that's awesome kimmy! there really are some big price differences between diff orthos.

as an unrelated sidenote, i have always wanted to go to prince edward island, though i admit that i was an 'anne of green gables' fan...you probably have a million 25 year old girls vacationing up there, wearing pearls and writing on the beach, huh? :)

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months